PDA

View Full Version : Jeep won't start - not battery!

Tonka Jeep
21-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Yep sounds simple enough but here are the symptoms...
2005 TJ Manual

1. Been starting fine, even today.
2. Parked it for 20mins, went to start it and no start.
3. Battery fine, everything working.
4. Acting like clutch override (ie not allowing it to start, but that's been disconnected)
5. Turn key to start it, stereo etc turns off (like what happens when i normally start it) but no start
6. Shorted the starter motor and it would then turn over but no spark with key in on position, still won't start.
7. Fuel pump working with key in.
8. Checked all fuses

Anything else to check or ideas?
No aftermarket immobiliser, it did have one which once exhibited this same issue once, but had it all removed.
Been fine since.

Bit of a loss as to what this one could be?

Tassie Jeeper
21-03-2013, 09:39 PM
sounds to me like ur "IGN" may be stuffed or even ur key as they are chipped

braith7
21-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Im no mechanic and know nothing about TJs, but whenever this kind of question comes up in the XJ forum it seems to be the CPS more often than not.

Again, I know nothing. I dont even know if TJs have one. Ive just seen it be the answer many times when an XJ wont turn over.

Jeeps
22-03-2013, 01:23 AM
I had the same issue. It would start some days fine others not so good. It was the battery dying a slow death.

cheers

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 07:34 AM
To make it clear, the Jeep won't fire or crank, it's acting like the clutch interlock is on. I turn the key and everything lights up, battery at 12V etc just nothing happens when I try to start it.

I ran power straight to starter to check it and had had it crank but it still wouldn't spark, with the key turned.

So basically is acting like its immobilised (no immobiliser), only thing I can think to try tonight is cutting the clutch interlock wires and joining them? Fuse override not working. If it is the clutch interlock at all. But it's acting up like it is...

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 08:07 AM
sounds to me like ur "IGN" may be stuffed or even ur key as they are chipped

Tried spare key this morning, no dice.

Gianni
22-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Check continuity of starter motor to battery wires and you ign to starter and starter to ground wires.

Other thing, is the starter motor actually spinning flywheel when you crank it off battery. Chuck it in gear (ign off) and see if it lurches forward. Could be clutch in starter motor has shat itself or not drawing enough current to engage fully (meaning it will click but not push out enough to engage flywheel

C0xy
22-03-2013, 08:25 AM
This happened to mine just over a year ago, turned out it was the ignition barrel. Had to get it replaced only place that would touch it was a jeep dealership every other mechanic i spoke to as soon as you said jeep they wanted nothing to do with it.

Sontssonts
22-03-2013, 08:31 AM
This happened to mine just over a year ago, turned out it was the ignition barrel. Had to get it replaced only place that would touch it was a jeep dealership every other mechanic i spoke to as soon as you said jeep they wanted nothing to do with it.

I've had the ignition barrel do the same to me. Also, did you try and start in neutral without the clutch?

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 08:59 AM
I tried it in Neutral no dice.
Starter is engaging fly wheel.
Even when I ran power direct to starter, with key in, it would not start (obviously have to have it in Neutral)
It would turn over if I jumped the starter, but not then fire.

If it were the ignition, would it show any other signs to pin point it to that?

Understand that its not even turning over with the key turn, only if I jump the starter. With the key turn I get nothing, ie, like trying to start with the clutch interlock on (but its in neutral).

bonza
22-03-2013, 09:09 AM
so lets be clear here

you say that with the key in the ignition it will not crank, only dash ignition lights illuminate

and if you have the ignition keyed on and connect a jumper from the battery to the starter the engine cranks but will not fire up

then it isnt the immobiliser as that would allow the engine to run for a few seconds and I doubt if its the clutch interlock

I would for a start give the battery terminals a good clean with an emery or similar, but it is sounding like the ignition barrel. easy job to replace if so.
also swap out the ASD relay with another to make sure that is not at fault

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 09:30 AM
As an aside and after a morning of googling, its most likely as some have said the Ign Actuator.

Details on fix and issue are explained here:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tj-ignition-switch-woes-13807-2.html

Will pull it all appart this weekend and see what I can find!

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 09:43 AM
so lets be clear here

you say that with the key in the ignition it will not crank, only dash ignition lights illuminate

and if you have the ignition keyed on and connect a jumper from the battery to the starter the engine cranks but will not fire up

then it isnt the immobiliser as that would allow the engine to run for a few seconds and I doubt if its the clutch interlock

I would for a start give the battery terminals a good clean with an emery or similar, but it is sounding like the ignition barrel. easy job to replace if so.
also swap out the ASD relay with another to make sure that is not at fault

Yep, I agree.

I swapped relays, no dice.
Only thing left is ignition.

Let me get this right, if I am to pull the ignition appart, and manualy turn the ignition switch (with screw driver), I should be good.

bonza
22-03-2013, 10:09 AM
Yep, I agree.

I swapped relays, no dice.
Only thing left is ignition.

Let me get this right, if I am to pull the ignition appart, and manualy turn the ignition switch (with screw driver), I should be good.

may work, sometimes even jiggling the key around makes contact.
I would be ordering a new ignition barrel immediately anyway.

you dont have a great bunch of keys and trinkets hanging off the ign key by any chance?

let us know how you go

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Just the key, and a lanyard, nothing else.

It could be the barrel, the actuator or the switch.
Will work out which first and then order the respective part.

But riddle me this:
With the Key in the on position, everything lights up and looks as normal (but start provided no love with the key turn). If I jumped the starter, with the key in the on position and it turned over (which it did), why wouldnt it then spark, I have by-passed the ignition completely doing that yeah?

Or are we saying that the ignition may be faulty even in the 'on' position...

C0xy
22-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Just the key, and a lanyard, nothing else.

It could be the barrel, the actuator or the switch.
Will work out which first and then order the respective part.

But riddle me this:
With the Key in the on position, everything lights up and looks as normal (but start provided no love with the key turn). If I jumped the starter, with the key in the on position and it turned over (which it did), why wouldnt it then spark, I have by-passed the ignition completely doing that yeah?

Or are we saying that the ignition may be faulty even in the 'on' position...

This was the case with mine, took them a while to narrow it down because theoretically there was no reason it shouldn't start

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 01:03 PM
What exactly was the problem with yours coxy?

bonza
22-03-2013, 03:37 PM
if it's ignition switch related probably the actuator that connects the barrel to the switch

dorman part number 924704

rockauto have them for about $28 and there is a video showing how to change

Tonka Jeep
22-03-2013, 03:45 PM
Cheers mate, saw that from the US forum.
Once I can ascertain what is actually causing it i'll post up!

C0xy
23-03-2013, 01:31 PM
i gave up getting the run around from mechanics after having no car for 2 weeks so i got it towed to bayside jeep in frankston and it turned out to be a faulty ignition barrel, got it replaced all together along with the steering lock. ive got the receipts somewhere with all the details of what was done ill see if i can find them and post up some details.

killa
23-03-2013, 02:07 PM
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/77554/StartButtonCutOff3.jpg
*grin*http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/images/smilies/drive.gif

murray
23-03-2013, 06:55 PM
the desiel xj has the same ign barrel lock and switch assy as a tj mine did the same what the prob is that the tangs on the actuator from the barrell to the switch are only die cast one of these had broken this would allow the switch to turn to the on position but then would slide along the switch slot so it wouldnt turn it to the start position

Tonka Jeep
24-03-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks everyone. Had time today to look at this in more detail. 15mins later this was clearly the issue as explained in the post above, busted actuator.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/03/24/ugu2avyn.jpg

murray
24-03-2013, 01:53 PM
glad i could help

Tassie Jeeper
24-03-2013, 07:18 PM
To make it clear, the Jeep won't fire or crank, it's acting like the clutch interlock is on. I turn the key and everything lights up, battery at 12V etc just nothing happens when I try to start it.

I ran power straight to starter to check it and had had it crank but it still wouldn't spark, with the key turned.

So basically is acting like its immobilised (no immobiliser), only thing I can think to try tonight is cutting the clutch interlock wires and joining them? Fuse override not working. If it is the clutch interlock at all. But it's acting up like it is...

the clutch could be the problem interested to see what this turns out to be best of luck with it

Tonka Jeep
24-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Two posts up mate...

Tonka Jeep
24-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Whilst I was working on it today, I removed the clutch interlock completely and just joined the wires that ran to the switch to complete the circuit. One less thing to worry about.

Tassie Jeeper
25-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Two posts up mate...

lol i don't know where all those posts were before but they were not there when i posted lol dodgy internet :P

glad u got it sorted thought its would turn out ign related

Tonka Jeep
03-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Replaced actuator with Dorman aftermarket part, works perfectly.

Done.

Tassie Jeeper
03-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Replaced actuator with Dorman aftermarket part, works perfectly.

Done.

glad to hear its all fixed u must be relieved,

my mum has to replace her ign in a holden astra $400 (car is not worth much more)