View Full Version : Anyone got a Long Ranger aux tank?

Rosie
25-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone else has a Long Ranger aux fuel tank from ARB. Just had one put in the TJ and so far i'm VERY disappointed.

Can anyone tell me how their fuel guage works?

It's been setup with a switch to use the stock gauge and toggle between the two tanks but no-matter what I go the gauge doesn't move.

It's also going to be interesting when it comes time to fill it with the massive kinks in the fill hose.

rhysTJ
25-03-2013, 10:43 PM
you would have been twenty times better with a BJW rear bar with Kerry's holders extra 40l ;) it doesn't stuff or rattle at all even fully loaded offroad

Rosie
25-03-2013, 10:45 PM
I've already got an ARB rear bar and didn't want the Jerrys. Cost doesnt worry me too much, I wanted it hidden away and convenient but aren't that happy with it at the moment.

low ranger
29-03-2013, 05:46 PM
I`m assuming you have had it back to the installers for a check up of the problems you are experiencing. I have fitted a lot of long range fuel tanks, & it`s not hard to make a mistake on an unfamiliar fitment. A lot of the tank manufacturers will design an aux tank to actually pump it`s contents into the main tank as it`s way simpler to make the system work on an EFI equipped car. I`m not sure of the Wrangler installation, but usually the aux tank will come with an OE sender unit & a 3 position switch. Position 1 can be the level in the main tank, position 2 can be the fuel level in the aux tank & position 3 will operate a fuel transfer pump while showing the fuel level in the main tank. This is to prevent over filling while transferring. Is this how your system is supposed to work?
Cheers,
Rick

Paulmarshall
29-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I have a Long Ranger from ARB in the JK. On mine there is a small LED gauge for the long range, and a switch that operates the transfer pump. The gauge in mine is very accurate, but the transfer pump can take a while to transfer the fuel, especially when its hot.

When refueling through their single filler setup, I do need to back off a bit once the fuel starts feeding into the LR, but never been a problem.

I love the fact that they are a Aux tank on the jeeps, as the long ranger in my Colorado was a direct replacement of the factory tank, which nearly left me stranded when a seam started to split up in the Kimberly a couple of years back. To their credit they had a replacement tank sent to Broome and installed for me within a few days.

Squall
01-04-2013, 09:26 PM
I have a 2006 TJ with the long ranger aux tank fitted. I got mine through another 4WD shop up in Darwin and they fitted mine with a small switch with 5 LEDs next to it. The LEDs indicate fuel level and the switch is an on/off affair. It's simple but also rather bush proff.

The installation was not very bush proff however (hense why I have not named the installer). Check the route your hoses follow. The genius that installed mine put an inline fuel filter just a over my rear upper control arm wher it was smashed on the first speed hump I crossed. I have had to re do all the hoses and make a bit more sense out of the setup. One change I would recommend is my tank has a duel filler. The front hose goes to my aux tank and the rear hose to the main tank. The aux tank pumps through a clicker pump (repco have spares if you burn one out) to the fuel filler hose for the main tank. But I now have a second hose above this one that runs back to the Aux tank filler hose. This (if my theory holds up) should mean you can't overfill the tank as the extra just returns to the Aux tank. The down side is you do tend to fill the Aux tank a bit when you fill the main but I normally keep it full anyway just in case.

I agree the Aux tank is fantastic! I no longer have to carry jerry cans, I am not stopping every 400km to top up with fuel on longer trips and with two jerry cans (155lt capacity) the Simo is achievable in a SWB petrol Jeep!

Rosie
02-04-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks for that guys.

The whole tanks coming back out and being re-fitted by another shop. The original mob wanted $1000 Labor for it but i doubt they'll see a cent anymore. Complete stuff up. Got to Wedge on the weekend and as well as the other issues the driveshaft fowls the tank and they stuffed up the transfer case selector as well.

My gauge makes no sense at all. its setup with a switch to show either the main tanks level or the Aux tanks level but the first time it's worked was after i ran the main empty then transfered the fuel and re-started the car. then after about 100kms it went to around the correct level.