PDA

View Full Version : Tyre light on

FAB
19-04-2013, 09:19 PM
I am starting think buying a jeep wasn't such a good idea I don't think I have any tyre monitors anyway:)-(:

muddy
19-04-2013, 09:58 PM
In the US cars made from 2007 onwards are legally required to have tyre pressure monitors fitted (possibly here as well). So yours will do as well, which is why you've got the light showing on the dash.

Silly question first - have you checked the pressure on all your tyres (including the spare, because I believe that is monitored too - it's a wireless system). If all are ok, then you might have a problem.

I'm not familiar with the KK's dash lights, but it'll probably not be too different form other Jeep models. Is the light simply a cross section of a tyre with an exclamation mark in the middle, or is it that, but with a dashed line surrounding the tyre? If the latter you might have a failure in the transmitter on one of more of the sensors or the inertial bit could have died, or maybe, if you've recently had a tyre changed the fitters didn't put it back in.

They're off the shelf, generic items that can and do go wrong in any car, not just a Jeep.

Clarky
19-04-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't know about the KK but when I first got my WH I had a low pressure warning so I let all the air out of all 5 tyres (yes the spare is monitored too), and reinflate to the pressures on the tyre placard.
It seamed to wake up the sensors and the system could see them again. There is a minimum pressure the light will be activated at, I think around 26 psi.
If that works you can then adjust the tyres to your preferred pressures.
Good luck ;)

FAB
19-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys just a little steam venting I will do a tyre check T the servo tomorrow just to be sure.

FAB
20-04-2013, 12:47 PM
Pumped all tyres to 32psi can't get to the spare so I will take it of and see if it's still on

SeaComms
20-04-2013, 02:44 PM
Not sure what your tyre placard has on it, on the JK the alarm comes on at about 2 - 3 psi below the placard. Often I have to go to 1 or 2 over the placard to get the light to go out then I can drop them back down.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Clarky
20-04-2013, 02:59 PM
The light will stay on if the spare is missing/not in the vehicle. sitting in the back should be fine.

Vards
20-04-2013, 03:39 PM
I go 38psi on road and my alarm goes off when i get around 25psi (offroad)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FAB
23-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Cheers 38 psi light off:D

kkblack
21-06-2013, 04:33 PM
My light came on after going on holiday for a few weeks and leaving the KK in the garage at home with no driving. Checked at the servo and they were registering 28-29 psi each, topped them to 32 and the light stayed on. What do you guys suggest as ideal PSI? It's winter, so only on road driving at the moment.

wally1
21-06-2013, 04:48 PM
Hi kkblack
I run all my tyres at 36 pounds as recommended by my local TyrePower, The sensors are pretty sensitive try blowing them up to 36 pounds and take your car for a run

Regards

Vards
21-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Jeep dealer puts mine (ATs) at 40psi. I run 38psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeaComms
21-06-2013, 07:19 PM
As mentioned earlier, they alarm usually comes on at 2 to 3 PSI below the tyre placards recommended inflation. So if it says you should run tyres at 35, then it would normally trip the light at around 32 to 33. With mine I have to inflate to at least 36 to turn it off instantly. If I fill all to 35 it takes about 10 minutes to turn off.