View Full Version : Tred blocks rubbing

Mudnguts
30-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Recently had a set of 31x10.5's fitted and have noticed that when at full lock left hand down, the tread blocks catch on the trailing arm. This dosn't happen when at full lock right hand down. Had the wheel alignment checked- all ok, and the car is accident free so everything is straight and aligned. Where to next?

darksidecustoms
30-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Do you have an adjustable panhard bar? Otherwise maybe look at extending the bumpstops so you get a little less lock on that side.

victoro
30-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Recently had a set of 31x10.5's fitted and have noticed that when at full lock left hand down, the tread blocks catch on the trailing arm. This dosn't happen when at full lock right hand down. Had the wheel alignment checked- all ok, and the car is accident free so everything is straight and aligned. Where to next?

If the Jeep has been lifted the axles will shift to one side (this is normal) an adjustable panhard will cure this as it will allow you to adjust the axle to it's centered position.

Mudnguts
30-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Everything else is stock. No lift just a bigger size tyre

kj69
01-05-2013, 05:11 AM
i thought you need 2" of lift to run 31`s on a tj ? (not a tj driver here) maybe its already running a small lift ?

Mudnguts
01-05-2013, 08:37 AM
absolutely no lift. I'm the second owner from new and previous owner was a P plater who never took it off road. It still had the factory fitted 28" rubber on it when i bought it.

Tonka Jeep
01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Don't turn full lock left.

slayer
01-05-2013, 09:09 AM
i thought you need 2" of lift to run 31`s on a tj ? (not a tj driver here) maybe its already running a small lift ?

I run a 2.5" lift and fit 35's!!not ideal and scrubs a little in the front when flexing. I thought 31's were standed??

wes
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
31's is supposed to be as big you can go without a suspension lift and not have any rubbing issues.
Not all tyre manufacturers tyres are exactly the same size - perhaps your 31's are a bit bigger.
But the fact there is only rubbing on one side supports the theory the axle has shifted over slightly - which is caused by a suspension lift and corrected by an adjustable panhard.

One quick fix would be to put some washers on the steering stops. This will decrease the amount the front wheels can turn.
Start with 1 washer on each side - if it's still rubbing try 2. Less washers is better.
I have 3 washers on my steering stops (too many) - haven't really noticed the turning circle being any worse except when full-lock turning in reverse.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=59642&d=1359798843

This is the drivers side - there's another steering stop on the passenger side.
I know it's a small pic but you might be able to see the 3 washers I have put under the nut (red arrow).

Undo the steering stop using an open ended spanner on the welded nut near the red arrow.
Don't try to undo the steering stop using the bolt head (yellow arrow).

So I'd say 1 or 2 washers on the steering stops for the Band-Aid, OR adjustable Panhard for the fix.

rhysTJ
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
if it just rubs try a road legal 8 mm wheel spacer available at all auto ones and similar if not buy my spare set of steel rims ;)

bonza
01-05-2013, 11:05 AM

are you saying it's rubbing on the left or right lower control arm?

with a lift the diff and wheels move towards the right due to the fixed length of the track bar, but the horizontal movement and vertical movement are not linear with regards to one another. a 2" lift only moves the diff a small amount but once over that amount the horizontal movement is far greater for the next 2". plotted on a graph it would look like a parabola. and conversely if the springs have sagged I suppose it would move a little towards the left (right when viewed from the front)

confusing? yes.

simple fix. washers on the bump stops

Jeeps
01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
This is normal when fitting 31's to TJ's. Every TJ's tyres rub at full lock with wider than stock tyres. I used to just back off from full lock so they didn't rub. I did this for 5 or 6 years. Now i'm running aftermarket rims with a slightly wider track which has eliminated this problem for me.

cheers

Mudnguts
01-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Thanks Wes good advice as usuall :) Bonza it rubs on the left control arm when at full lock left almost as though i have a tighter turning cyrcle to the left as i have about 1/2" to spare on the right at full lock right. Thanks Jeeps, probibly not helping having a quite square sholder on the tyres either