View Full Version : Not enjoying throttle

Gianni
05-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Went camping so car got a little dirty up the river. Drove fine up there, drove fine round the mountains for the two days. Halfway home issue started.

Symptoms: was cruising along hwy, gave throttle a little more gas and rpm's started dying. Changed gears and still kept dying. Pulled over and idle was struggling to keep alive. Turned car off. Turned car back on again and it was fine. It did this 3 times within half an hour. Then didn't do it again. We stopped a few times on the way back for things and noticed if I gave it a more than decent amount of gas it i could hear engine splitter a bit struggle so I would back off.

Solution:??????

Gonna check air filter. Sounds like an air fuel issue to me

Mods: 2" lift, snorkel

Car 1997 tj. Manual

victoro
05-05-2013, 05:10 PM
Went camping so car got a little dirty up the river. Drove fine up there, drove fine round the mountains for the two days. Halfway home issue started.

Symptoms: was cruising along hwy, gave throttle a little more gas and rpm's started dying. Changed gears and still kept dying. Pulled over and idle was struggling to keep alive. Turned car off. Turned car back on again and it was fine. It did this 3 times within half an hour. Then didn't do it again. We stopped a few times on the way back for things and noticed if I gave it a more than decent amount of gas it i could hear engine splitter a bit struggle so I would back off.

Solution:??????

Gonna check air filter. Sounds like an air fuel issue to me

Mods: 2" lift, snorkel

Car 1997 tj. Manual

If you get no love through the air filter you may have a clogged fuel filter

7ocko
05-05-2013, 05:11 PM
This may not be the case but one vehicle I've seen had very similar problem very intermittent, ended up being a plasticky wrapper in the fuel tank floating around and stuck to the pick up screen when ever it felt like it !

Turn engine off wrapper would float away n away she goes again.

Just an idea :)

Be a good idea to check air /fuel filters , spark plugs ect.

Gianni
05-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Yeah ill check all that tomorrow :)
Where snouts is fuel filter on the jeeps?

I was doing some hard cornering this weekend so was thinking it could be crap in fuel tank being dislodged.

lifted TJ
05-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Fuel filter is a little gauze on fuel pump module inside the tank. Good luck!

wes
05-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Need to drop the tank to get at the filter

Richo
05-05-2013, 08:19 PM
That or it's a tps issue.
Turn key on off to ignition a few times and see if it logs a code on the odometer readout
Plug it into a obd11 scanner and clear the fault codes and see if that fixes it.
Mine has done the same, midrange splutter.

Otherwise disconnect battery for half hour then reconnect and see if that resets things

Gianni
05-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Got a link to checking codes?
I'll try that first. Otherwise I'll drop tank.

wes
05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Turn key to ign (not start) on off on off on within 5 secs.
Wait a bit, they don't come up immediately - any codes stored will appear in odometer.
On the 97s, the CEL will also 'flash' the code.
ie if its 12, the CEL will flash once, pause, flash twice.
12 is pretty common - just means the battery has been disconnected within the last x number of starts (or lost power momentarily).

The last code will be 55 - that's telling you it's finished.

If you get any other codes, post em up. In the meantime, I'll check my list of 97 codes - they are different to the other years.

wes
05-05-2013, 09:36 PM
Sorry can't find a proper printed list but here's a pic.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61654&d=1367753774

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61655&d=1367754033

Ando_13
05-05-2013, 10:56 PM
I had exactly same issue, car not DD so went on for 12 months slowly getting worse until it was permanent. I had O2 codes, but believed it was fuel, replaced entire pump unit with new filters and reg plus did O2 sensors and all good again with no problems for past 2yrs.

Jeeps
06-05-2013, 12:57 AM
My TPS was buggered but i had no codes..

cheers

Gianni
06-05-2013, 09:05 AM
Turn key to ign (not start) on off on off on within 5 secs.
Wait a bit, they don't come up immediately - any codes stored will appear in odometer.
On the 97s, the CEL will also 'flash' the code.
ie if its 12, the CEL will flash once, pause, flash twice.
12 is pretty common - just means the battery has been disconnected within the last x number of starts (or lost power momentarily).

The last code will be 55 - that's telling you it's finished.

If you get any other codes, post em up. In the meantime, I'll check my list of 97 codes - they are different to the other years.

Hey man only code I got was 12 then the finish 55. I don't have an plug to clear so ill try disconecting battery for half an hour. See if that clears it :)

Jonesy
06-05-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm thinkin TPS too

Gianni
06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm thinkin TPS too

Alright. How do we check tps. Which sensor on the throttle is it. I might try çleaning it.
I thought tps would only affect idle. And the map sensor kicks in and would cause issues with air flow under accel

wes
06-05-2013, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't bother clearing code 12 - it will clear itself after x number of starts.

I've been through a few TPS (crap after-market ones -Mopar is best) but the Jeep is always revving its tits off at idle when the TPS is cactus.
Here's a pic of the throttle body on my 97

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61656&d=1367796515

Gianni
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Cleaned sensor. It looked fine. Started with sensor unplugged and it threw tps code so that functioning fine. Must be fuel. Must be fuel pump/filter assembly. Will check it all out on Sunday.

On a side note. I have a spare steering damper to install. Any tips to getting the rod out of the bar. It's stuck in there really good! Lubed it with some wd40 and got a vice to press it out and nothing. Ended up spraying some penetrating soak to see if it'll get in there and loosen it up.

Ando_13
06-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Any tips to getting the rod out of the bar
Just cut it off and use the Skyjacker relocation bracket.

wes
06-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Any tips to getting the rod out of the bar.

The usual advice is to belt the crap out of this knuckle on the drag link with a BFH - you can see where I've bashed mine in the past and taken the paint off.
The bolt for the steering damper is supposed to just 'pop' out - HA!
I've tried a couple of times and it's never worked for me but plenty swear by it.
In the end I took mine to a mechanic who used wizardry 8)

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=61670&d=1367838605

Ando_13
06-05-2013, 10:21 PM
Yeah have done a couple and the BFH on the side worked on 1 (a mates TJ) but not on mine, for the life of us we couldn't get it out, luckily I was already putting on the relocation bracket to fix clearance issues.

Jonny Jeep
07-05-2013, 07:01 AM
It could well be a bad O2 sensor (typical life is 100k miles/160k km). Before dropping the fuel tank. Locate the upstream O2 sensor just below the exhaust manifold. Follow the wires up to the connector which is clipped to the intake manifold near the firewall. Unplug that connector and see how the Jeep runs.

You'll get code with the sensor unplugged but if the Jeep runs fine replace the sensor. General advice if needed is to use NTK (OEM supplier) and avoid Bosch.

The sock at the bottom of the pump assembly is a strainer. There are actually two of them. The main filter is combined with the fuel pressure regulator that sits on top of the tank.

Gianni
10-05-2013, 10:10 AM
I haven't had an issue since the day it happened. Looking back I topped my tank up with some shell petrol (it was the only thing around at the time). Ran it bone dry on Tuesday and filled it with some good stuff. Haven't had an issue. Could it have been shit fuel?

Tonka Jeep
10-05-2013, 01:46 PM
As an aside, I filled mine up once (05 TJ) with Premium Unleaded and it threw a code and was running like shit. Ran 91 ULP and it ran as smooth as a TJ run when running smooth.

So it could be fuel.

Gianni
19-06-2013, 02:47 PM
ha ha ha. yeah true. i used some premium shell stuff and it started acting like this,
havent had a problem since going back to cheap safeway stuff :S

really having issues getting this bolt out for steering damper. i even got my air hammer onto it and it wont budge. FML. where do the relocation brackets bolt onto. ill make one myself. main concern is also how do i then get the stock damper off this bolt.

reason im doing this is since i lifted (2") every now and again (maybe once a fortnight or month) at high speeds a get this major wobble if the road is a bit twisty or has a few pot holes. i slow down and problem disapears. all bushes and bolts are nice and tight like a tiger. noticed my new damper has a longer body than stock one, and since its happening with the turning im putting it down as the damper