PDA

View Full Version : TJ creaking body mounts??

Rosie
11-05-2013, 09:42 AM
Hey guys, just got the Wrangler back and took it straight up to Lancelin for a gig last night. Anyway after about an hour I heard a creak every now and then which developed into a full blown annoying noise. After a heap of inspection it turns out the passenger side body mount just behind the engine bay was loose even though the bolt seemed tight.

Has anyone managed to crack a body mount on a TJ or had one randomly come loose. I'm trying to recall whether they had the hoist on the chassis under the ARB sliders.

I'm running a 1" body lift by the way. Thanks, Ben

Rosie
12-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Well the mount is defiantly cracked, i cant even get the bolt out because the whole broken top section keeps spinning.

Anyone else had this happen? Thinking i might have to cut a big section out and fabricate a replacement myself.

It's one thing after another with this car, if I hadn't spent so much on it lately i'd just be cutting my losses and giving up with it.

Ando_13
12-05-2013, 03:45 PM
I've snapped a body mount bold before, one day was inspecting the underside of the Heep and thought something was missing. Due to the snapped bolt, obviously it fell out with the lower half cup thingy.
Anyway, just saying some strange thing can occur.

Wooders
13-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Recently fixed a TJ with exactly this problem in exactly the same spot.
Cut an access hole in the floor to get the old remnants out.
Worse the floor mount had literally ripped a hole all around the area, so I ended up rewelding the floor.
It's not a difficult job.

Rosie
13-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Yeah I've done some homework and had a good look at the area, put my thinking hat back on and got the broken one out out without any more cutting. It's basically just cracked the entire captive nut and about a 1" circle around it. It seems like this is the weakest mount as the captive nut is directly mounted to the bottom rather then above it in a sub-structure.

Should be a nice easy fix at least, was going to get rid of all the damaged material, weld a nut to a 3mm plate and weld that in place. The bracket at the Chassis has always seemed on the piss for this one so it's no surprise.

Tassie Jeeper
13-05-2013, 11:10 PM
hmm mine creaks when flexing but i assumed this was normal.

i do have a upper front ctrl arm bracket cracking (iv been to lazy to fix but it hasnt gotten any worse)

maybe my body mounts need further inspection??

Rosie
13-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Yeah when you look at them the mounts just at the front of the foot well would be the weakest, and you can tell my bodies moved forward a good inch or two at times by the dents on the front grill where it's made contact with the bullbar. Really wishing i didn't have the body lift now but so many people run them without issues, i just doubt many of them have had the lift mine has I spose.

Tassie Jeeper
14-05-2013, 07:35 PM
i have gouges in my flares where the body has flexed and they have rubbed on the bullbar (normally has about a half inch gap) and paint off my grill where my control box for winch has hit it maybe my mounts are not the greatest
:roll:

Rosie
14-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah my grill has dents from the ARB bar hitting it.

I ended up cleaning up the cracks and damage and welded a nut to a 5mm plate and welded the plate to the body. Then just "machined" my body lift block down 5mm. I've still got a very faint creaking from the area which i can only really hear because i'm listening for it but it's done my head in trying to find it.