View Full Version : 6 speed oil change

Mudnguts
20-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Hi guys, have noticed lately that the gearbox is starting to get hard to put into 1st and 2of so think I need to do an oil change. Found that the oil needs to comply with Chrysler rule ms_9224. Is this a must? What are your recommendations?

Dirtbag
20-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Most definatly a must, that gearbox is so tempremantal it's not funny.
I run Synchromax MANUAL TRANSMISSION Fluid GEAR BOX OIL.

works wonders. and its fully synthetic

regards

Jamie

Richo
20-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Nope. Only use the genuine Mopar trans fluid specific to the six speed.
They are a very finicky box when it comes to oil, search on here and see how many have crapped out using non genuine fluid.
It's a six speed thing.

Mudnguts
20-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Where do you buy genuine oil? Our jeep dealer operates out of a donger and the next dealer is 600kms away

bonza
21-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Where do you buy genuine oil? Our jeep dealer operates out of a donger and the next dealer is 600kms away

see if the donger can get it in for you or buy online and have it delivered to you.
google Mopar spec MS9224 Mopar part number 04874464

dont let anyone try to talk you into something else as Richo says

oddly, the owners manual says the fluid should never need changing but the JK owners manual states every 50k for the same transmission. to me the latter makes sense and is what I operate to

Mudnguts
21-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks Bonza, they will order it in for me at $30 a bottle. Please tell me the engine isnt as picky with oil and filter!:shock:

bonza
21-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Thanks Bonza, they will order it in for me at $30 a bottle. Please tell me the engine isnt as picky with oil and filter!:shock:

no, it not. and neither is the transfer and differentials, just the gearbox

Tonka Jeep
22-05-2013, 10:49 AM
xeleventy seven!!!

What those above have said....

GR_76ers_Iverson_3
24-05-2013, 10:05 AM
I used some ‘premium Castrol’ oil first for the gear box, made it so hard to shift gears.
So then went to royal purple Synchromax. Awesome stuff!

Mudnguts
24-05-2013, 09:54 PM
$62.50 later and I have the factory oil in and oh what a difference. Smooth and quiet and easy to shift. Old oil was almost black. 2L came out but recommend capacity is only 1.5

400Bronco
26-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I only use Penrite (they recommend full syn), recently did the full driveline, wasn't cheap but the gears are way smoother, 24k service so it would've been it's first.

Sifter
26-05-2013, 05:15 PM
I find the colder weather makes mine sticky until it gets warm...then the chatter in neutral kicks in...it's not so much a gearbox, more shitbox.

victoro
26-05-2013, 05:43 PM
If your getting a chatter in neutral (and only when the clutch is out) it would most likely be your disc springs, this is normal but annoying.
Also we highly recommend Royal Purple SyncroMax.

Mudnguts
26-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Living in kalgoorlie I get the full temp range. From -2 at night in winter to 48 in the middle of the day in summer. 1st to 2nd still stiff when cold but not as bad. If its not castrol, valveline or shell I have to order it in plus freight. Same with any parts I want.

bonza
27-05-2013, 09:09 AM
Living in kalgoorlie I get the full temp range. From -2 at night in winter to 48 in the middle of the day in summer. 1st to 2nd still stiff when cold but not as bad. If its not castrol, valveline or shell I have to order it in plus freight. Same with any parts I want.

it is perfectly normal for these boxes to be clunky between first and second due to the big jump in ratios, especially when cold. bit like a transmission out of a Massey Ferguson tractor, it is a light truck transmission and wasnt designed for sport performance

best thing when cold, and is what I do, double clutch gear changes between first and second for the first few kilometers. this will save your synchros and once it's warmed up will shift fine