View Full Version : New clutch fitted

MidnightRiders
22-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Hi all. Just had new clutch fitted to my TJ. It is not a heavy duty clutch, but now it feels like im driving a holden astra... The pedal is feather lite, and grabs like 5mm off the floor. Anybody know if this is normal?

Nezzy
22-05-2013, 08:20 PM
I just did mine recently too and got the same result. I figure its because all the moving parts have got a nice layer of fresh grease on them. The two ends of the fork, throwout bearing etc.. Also a new pressure plate and springs...

I did mine late last year and its starting to get a bit heavier on the pedal.

As for 5mm from the floor, mine starts to grab about half way up. I guess different kits behave differently.

victoro
22-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Correct, a fresh and properly installed clutch will behave this way.

Rosie
22-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Same, I had mine done just before Easter and was warned i'd get a harder pedal but it's really soft and grabs straight away. Hope it holds up to the abuse the last one did now.

MidnightRiders
24-05-2013, 06:54 PM
cool thanks for the reply's. i have driven it for 2 days and it has stiffened up a bit. bit of growling when in neutral but goes away when clutch depressed. Must be my gearbox...:(

Nezzy
24-05-2013, 09:32 PM
cool thanks for the reply's. i have driven it for 2 days and it has stiffened up a bit. bit of growling when in neutral but goes away when clutch depressed. Must be my gearbox...:(

Mine growls too. Pretty sure they all do.

Jeeps
26-05-2013, 11:33 PM
It's supposed to growl. Kinda sounds like marbles rolling around in there. ;)

low ranger
27-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Have any of you heard an early Patrol gearbox idling in neutral? If your Jeep sounds half as bad, I`d worry....
Rick