PDA

View Full Version : Wrangler won't start

Endadools
14-06-2013, 04:52 PM
G'day
I am new to the jeep wrangler club, i have a 2005 tj 4l standard wrangler and about 6 wks ago Check engine light came on it show code P2098 when i checked, this is the 2 bank 2 O2 sensor code. i didn't have time to replace the sensor at the time as i was going on holidays. the car was ran for two wks with the CEL on and then left idel for 3 wks while i was away. when i came bk the CEL flashes and the jeep won't start!! it will turn over but sounds like there no fuel or no spark. I've order a new sensor but is there something more serious wrong with it now??

Side note: My mate has a 1997 wrangler and my never seemed to have the same power as my mates one so there maybe ongoing issue before the sensor went.

Richo
14-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Get or borrow a scan gauge or scan tool and clear the fault codes.

Or disconnect battery for an hour or so and see if the codes have cleared
when reconnected. It should then start if nothing else is wrong.

bonza
15-06-2013, 08:49 AM
P2096 and P2098 are codes detecting a lean condition by the O2 sensors down stream of the mini cats.

they wont stop the Jeep from starting or create any driveability problems

either there is another issue, such as a crank angle sensor or the battery is on way out. use a OBDII tool and see if there are other codes present

both of these codes are generally regarded as a false codes as they usually arise for no apparent reason. Chrysler supposedly had a technical service bulletin TSB 18-026-06 regarding these that involves reflashing the PCM. from what I know the PCM settings are overly sensitive triggering the code way to easily.

you can check tightness of exhaust to manifold bolts, vacuum hoses, PCV system, brake booster, or where ever air could enter the the #2 cat as a possible cause.

oddly my Jeep often triggers a P2098 if I overfill the fuel tank, probably something to with the fuel tank vapour purge system. I have checked everything and cant seem to nail it so I just clear the code and will probably replace all four O2 sensors one of these days but I have lived with it for the past two years.

Endadools
15-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Cheers lads, I did the key test for codes and the only codeis p2098. As bonza said it shouldn't stop it from starting !!

I was checking for fuel delivery. I took the fuel plug out of fuel rail and and some fuel poured out, put when i turn the engine over a few times there was no fuel coming out. Would this mean its a fuel delivery prob or is there a fuel kill switch that's stopping fuel when ecu detects a major systems problem??

Would the check engine light flash if no fuel been delivered??

bonza
15-06-2013, 02:07 PM
a flashing MIL usually means a 'catastrophic' condition, according to the service manual. 'catastrophic meaning a component that has to be attended to straight away.
a solid illuminated MIL means something that is not urgent and can be left for awhile, like loose filler cap.

check you ADS and fuel pump relays by swapping with an unimportant relay to test

Ando_13
15-06-2013, 04:25 PM
with ref to your side note; I have a mate with a 97 and a 2003 and he has always stated his 97 accelerates better from standing and 80->100, weird...

Endadools
16-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Problem solved, turns out my black labrador thought my jeeps was big chew toy while I was away on holidays and gave fuel pump wiring a few bites and sliced two or the wires!! Mans beat friend apparently!!! :mad::roll::roll:

I will write to jeep and asked them to put in a error code for dog attaches so its easier diagnose next time :D:D

Thanks for the help guys.

Another quick question on the performance of the 2005 6 gear manual, when I go into sixth gear it will not accelerate it even slows down abit. Is that normal??
It's got 31 tires and this happens around 100km or 110km mark. It will do 120 or so in 5th and change to sixth it will slow down!!

Ando_13
16-06-2013, 02:38 PM
31's are a few inches larger than stock; therefore your overdrive 6th is being affected by the resultant final drive ratio.