PDA

View Full Version : Overhead console functions?

ruffy01
17-06-2013, 10:16 AM
Hey guys, my recently acquired '96 limited has the overhead console but only gives info on direction & temp. If I press the button for "Comp" I get nothing at all.
What info should it give & where should I look as to why it's not functioning?

My '94 Sport never had this luxury :)

darksidecustoms
17-06-2013, 11:04 AM
If its like my 98 update model, it should give you compass/temp, current L/100Km + average L/100Km, distance and time since last reset (hold both function and units buttons).

ruffy01
17-06-2013, 12:53 PM
If its like my 98 update model, it should give you compass/temp, current L/100Km + average L/100Km, distance and time since last reset (hold both function and units buttons).

Thanks Darkside.
If I press & hold both function & units buttons "var" is displayed & then pressing the units button displays "1", then press again displays "2", then "3", and so on. Pressing the function key again returns to compass/temp but still nothing displayed on "Comp".

bruggz351
17-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Is there a clock?

cheers

ruffy01
17-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Is there a clock?

cheers

No clock. Damn, should there be clock :(

junglejuice
17-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Comp means compass, the pre-update overhead consoles gives direction and temperature only in both metric and imperial units selectable by one button, from memory the other button turns this display on/off.....

ruffy01
17-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Comp means compass, the pre-update overhead consoles gives direction and temperature only in both metric and imperial units selectable by one button, from memory the other button turns this display on/off.....

Damn!
If that's all it's meant to do, it's working fine :(
You'd think they could've at least included a clock.

junglejuice
17-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Damn!
If that's all it's meant to do, it's working fine :(
You'd think they could've at least included a clock.

Yes but alas they didn't, was kinda cool (pun intended) when we got to see negative readings on our last trip to Tassie when we normally see much higher numbers up here....

ruffy01
17-06-2013, 07:48 PM
Yes but alas they didn't, was kinda cool (pun intended) when we got to see negative readings on our last trip to Tassie when we normally see much higher numbers up here....

It reads negatives? :o
Well, that's a positive :)

Doctor W
19-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks Darkside.
If I press & hold both function & units buttons "var" is displayed & then pressing the units button displays "1", then press again displays "2", then "3", and so on. Pressing the function key again returns to compass/temp but still nothing displayed on "Comp".

This is to set the Compass to to correct Zone on the planet in respect of the variation between True North and Magnetic North......Australia spreads over 3 different Magnetic Variation Zones..... so you you need to set it correctly in order to get meaningful read outs.

Your Owner's Handbook gives the different areas on a map of the world and the method of setting it.......I believe there's also an alternative, automatic selection method consisting of driving a series of Figure-Eights a certain number of times both clockwise and then anti-clockwise -this is also described in the Owner's Handbook.

Escapable
19-06-2013, 09:50 PM
This is to set the Compass to to correct Zone on the planet in respect of the variation between True North and Magnetic North......Australia spreads over 3 different Magnetic Variation Zones..... so you you need to set it correctly in order to get meaningful read outs.

Your Owner's Handbook gives the different areas on a map of the world and the method of setting it.......I believe there's also an alternative, automatic selection method consisting of driving a series of Figure-Eights a certain number of times both clockwise and then anti-clockwise -this is also described in the Owner's Handbook.

It is better to use a compass or GPS... why would you believe a car?
Do you believe the map (let alone the GPS) anyway?
Read the calibration instructions and go for a beer, seems to work better.

ruffy01
20-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks for that info guys :)