PDA

View Full Version : Neutral rattles

Mudnguts
20-06-2013, 10:01 PM
I did an oil change on my 6 speed 200kms ago using mopar oil. 1.8l went in as per factory specs. Just went out for dinner, put car in neutral and released clutch and got a weird rattle. Did it again when I got home. Sounds like gear teeth just skipping on each other. This only happens in neutral. I don't know if its related but the box has ways had a clunk when you depress or release the clutch quickly like the sound of backlash being taken up. Any ideas? Should I of put 2l of oil in as that's what came out?

Jonny Jeep
21-06-2013, 04:56 AM
I forget the exact reason for it but I believe the later manual gearboxes are known for rattling like a bag of spanners in neutral.

Mudnguts
21-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Small correction, 1.5L of oil went in. This issue only happens occasionaly and never on start up. Usally it takes about 15 min of driving before it makes up its mind to decide if it will be noisey today or not!

Mr ED
21-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Guys,

I have a 6 speed manual in my '05 TJ and I've never noticed any rattling in neutral ...

Cheers,

ED

Squall
21-06-2013, 04:15 PM
I had a similar problem and was very red in the face when I found my solution, try removing the gear shift nob and then putting it back on. I had a rattle from when the top nut was not aligned it was shaking in the gear nob. I practically took that box to pieces trying to find it.

As for the clunk it sounds like maybe a rear drive shaft uni joint. They always give a clunk when they are on their way out.

Mudnguts
21-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Thanks squall I'll try that but I can hear it from outside the car. Had a chat with Jeep Kraft and they said it may the input shaft bearing. 1200km round trip and up to 2 weeks with no car away from home at a cost of $3000 plus my own expenses. How hard would it be to do myself?