PDA

View Full Version : Clunking sound when accelerating and decelerating.

Squall
10-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Hmmm having some problems at the moment. Just did the Simpson and am on my way to Fraser. I drive an 06 TJ with the 6 speed manual. Yesterday afternoon at the end of the day the car developed a loud cluncking sound from the driveline when taking off and changing into second. I checked the Uni's last night with no problems there and this morning it was fine. After a couple of hours driving and stopping off for a break the cluncking was back on takeoff. Checked the Uni's again and still no problem. Did some basic fault finding and the sound only comes when accelerating or decelerating in gear. It's really loud in first and second and diminishes in third and forth. Not, I hope, clutch related as you don't have to change gears to get the sound and the clutch is only 6 months old.

Two other issues that could be related, my handbrake has started to stick half way up sometimes and will only pull all the way up after releasing it a couple of times

I had to re tension my transfer case linkage in the Simpson due to slipping out of 4H all the time. Did I go to far and now the transfer case is trying to engage?

Plan at the moment. Check all the Uni's in the morning while cold. Re adjust the transfer case linkage. Check the handbrake out and if that all fails then find a mechanic. Unless those wiser and more knowledgable then me have any ideas.

Currently at a campsite just outside of Roma so any help would be great. I only have basic tools so anything major will be a mechanic I think.

tigermuzza
10-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Have you checked the backlash in the diff, excessive backlash can do that, other than the uni's I can't think of anything else

Rosie
12-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Have a good look at your control arm bushes and try tightening all the bolts.

Also go over your wheel nuts

Other than that it could be diff backlash?

bonza
14-07-2013, 08:17 AM
he got it sorted.

uni joint as shown here http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123118&page=2

Squall
17-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Starting to think there are bigger problems then just the UNI joint. Backlash on the front diff is now high on my list as are my control arm bushes. Then if the worst comes to the worst it will be a case of opening up the TC and checking out the chain. If it gets to that point then a SYE and a HD double cardigan tail shaft will be going in.

It's safe to say I have cut my trip a bit shorter then planned and am making my way back south to get this all sorted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

oldon
21-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Check slip yoke, dry = clunk.

Jonny Jeep
22-07-2013, 04:04 AM
It's probably not this, but...

I had a clunk an age ago when starting and changing from first to second. Turns out corrosion had got to the clamp between the exhaust and the back box. When starting off and changing to second the back box was swinging on it's hangers and I was hearing the cluck as it slid hit the end of it's forward travel. I wasn't noticeable from 2-3 and above. I guess those changes had less momentum change between gears.