PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Extended Warranty

wally1
16-07-2013, 08:28 PM
I may be new to posting on the forum but I do read all your Posts.
However I have a Question.
My 2011 KK Cherokee Sport's Manufacture Warranty runs out September 2014. Should I have bought an Extended Warranty at Purchase? I got it brand new and it now has 22000 K's on the clock, or can I buy one nearing the manufacturing warranties expiring?
I rang the stealer where I got it Today and they quoted $2680 for full 3 year any sort of claim coverage. Since then I have tried to research Extended warranties and Can anyone confirm These warranties are just Insurance companies covering the car?

KKnut
17-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Yes they are, but in speaking to the company that underwrites Jeep's extended warranty (Swann /IAG) I learnt they strictly sign up at time of purchase only. I suspect you are being offered something else, there are so many.

malJohann
17-07-2013, 05:50 AM
Yeah, I got the Swann extended warranty at time of purchase for my second-hand KK, also bought it with 22 thousand Km on the clock.

wally1
17-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks' Guys So if Swann do it at time of purchase was my quote of $2680 about right?

robtemt
18-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I was quoted $2195 for an Avea 48 month extended manufactures warranty from a broker for the 2013 (MY14) WK2 I'm picking up next week, as the dealer only offered a 24 month allianz policy for nearly $3200 or something close..

wally1
20-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Well it seems my suspicions were right. The extended warranty is done by an insurance dealer and nothing to do with the Dealer, other than them taking some profit out of signing you up. I will take the extended warranty out but most insurance agents allow your car to have no more than between 50000 and 100000 k's on the clock before they exclude you from the extended warranty, The moral of the story is I no longer have an obligation to stay friendly to the dealer where I bought the car as I know now most automotive garages can do log book services and I can get an extended warranty out just before the manufactures warranty runs out for half the price. The one I am considering is 36 months 200,000klm Platinum from Avea Insurance for $1975 not the Allianz on for $2680 the dealer quoted me..

In all I thank you all for your feedback and hope we all continue to enjoy our Jeep's

Regards to all

MRGC
20-07-2013, 11:29 AM
I was going to suggest AVEA as well as I just signed up extended warranty with them for the JK.

Vards
20-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Good tips guys nice one. Ill be doing this as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wally1
21-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Just a quick update for everyone,
Today I signed up with Allianz, I first rang the dealer from where I bought the car new and he quoted $4400 for 3 yrs 200000 warranty I told him to get notted, I then rang leaseworks in Sydney who I spoke with last year and I got the Allianz 3 year 200000 kilometer warranty for $2500 paying monthly at $210 per month for 12 months, my extended warranty starts 16/11/2014 Hope this helps I would have paid outright but tomorrow my KK gets its 45000 service and the dealer is wanting $1133.75 such is life

Thanks Everyone

P.S the Avea 3 year 200000 was $1875 again they would allow monthly payments

Walter

MRGC
22-07-2014, 06:57 AM
If you keep shopping around you'll get it cheaper, I got the avea for the JK $1600 also quoted by a broker with allianz $1950.

, [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-------)_)

SeaComms
22-07-2014, 07:23 AM
So what do these guys cover and what are the restrictions? As in, does it have to be serviced by a Jeep Dealer? Are there any limits or excess to claims?

Given that mine is now a year out of warranty its probably to late, but would have considered it seeing its already had around $15,000 worth of warranty work if I add up all the parts and labour they have put into it.

Redbox
22-07-2014, 09:16 AM
ItPp is all in the fine print, the deal that the seller of the warranty tells you about is usaly crap, my mat was going to pay to transfer the extended warranty on a jk they bought, but then read " any modiforcations will voids the Warranty" this includes change in tyres.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Redbox
22-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Insaying that I have never found one that let you use who you wanted for service, the word is SCAM.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app

Bryceee
22-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Had one through allianz, was great.
Got ball joints x 2 full set ( second set heavy duty), pitman arm , track bar, water pump and slave cylinder.

Could take it to amy licensed mechanic

chris0375
22-07-2014, 10:12 AM
That's surprising. I thought ball joints would be a consumable wear and tear item.

wally1
22-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Hi SeaComms

The broker quoted $2250 for 200000 3 years with Allianz, however once GST etc was added to it the final figure that I found out after signing up was $2520.12 this covers up to a total of $32000 worth of claims. The warranty generally has to be taken out whilst your car is still covered by the manufactures warranty so for me My new car warranty runs out on 16 Nov 2014, so Allianz warranty starts then. The warranty can be transferred to only another private buyer providing you have fully paid for it, also included is a hire car up to a certain limit if your car is off the road providing the insurer has approved your repair, a locksmith again is covered up to certain limit providing the insurer has approved your claim, towing included again providing the insurer has approved your claim and again up to certain limit, so I suppose as long as the claim is approved your repair is taken care of rather than you spending heaps on repairs yourself. You can also get 100000 warranty which is cheaper by generally $500. Avea and Allianz are the most popular I went with Allianz because my dealer has lots of dealing with them.

Walter

anthony1
22-07-2014, 06:20 PM
I have looked at extended warranties over the years, but I could never justify it. The way these things work is that an insurance company will estimate the risk (cost) of your vehicle over the period being offered, then charge that to you at a premium. E.g. they do tonnes of very specific research and determine that your vehicle will typically need say $500 non-standard service work over say the next 2 yrs, then offer you cover for say $2,000. Some people will come out ahead if their vehicle needs an unusually high amount of work. Most won't, hence the business model. The proof that most of the time you won't call in more than the insurance premium is the very fact that insurance companies offer such a service in the first place. Where extended warranties are particularly sweet is when a dealer is throwing it in just to get a deal over the line.

wally1
22-07-2014, 08:08 PM
Hi anthony1
I know where you are coming from, however I did not want to chance it, Jeeps (Just Empty Every Pocket) don't have a good reputation, I have had both back shockies replaced even thou the car had only done 29000 k's, its only just clocked over 34000 today so I suppose I will just have to wait and see, Believe me I can think of 2500 other reasons how to spend my hard earned money but that little niggle at the back of my mind keeps saying I have done the right think

Walter

anthony1
22-07-2014, 11:41 PM
Hi Walter
I respect your decision. It's a nice thing to have the cover in place for a rainy day. The certainty you have ended up with is at least a capped cost if you do experience problems. Regards, Anthony.

Geo Jeep
05-11-2014, 07:43 PM
I was never offered an Extended Warranty when I bought my JK in 2011. I enquired with the dealer some time after the sale and was told that they are offered by Jeep Australia, who said they are not. :rolleyes: (I rang them twice to make sure!)

So with Jeep not offering one despite the dealer saying they will, can I get one now from Swann or Avea or someone else or does it have to be 'endorsed' (for lack of a better term) by Jeep?

I currently have two months left on my factory warranty and after some recent repairs am revisiting the idea of an extended warranty.

wally1
05-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Hi Geo Jeep
Yes you can get an extended warranty from who ever most suits you, its actually just an insurance cover similar to the new car warranty that you get when you got your car. My post No 16 has all the info, the best thing was that instead of paying the full amount upfront I pay $210.01 per month direct debit to Allianze.
As your car is still under new car warranty, providing it has not done more than 100,000 k's it is possible.
I could give you the contact details of the agent (Sydney based) I went with, her quotes were heaps cheaper than any one else and I done the dead over the phone. She emailed all the details plus PDS from all concerned and I just studied them all and when I was ready she made it happen for me,
I went with Allianze simply because the dealer I got the car from has more dealings with them, also if they see anything needing replacement they have to first contact Allianze for approval of claim, which in my view would not be a hard thing for them to do, However if I was with maybe a not so well known extended warranty insurer I think they would not be as helpful.
Just out of curiosity try ringing the finance department of the dealer who you got your car from and ask for a quote for extended warranty mine quoted $2680 for the Allianze which was not far from what I paid

Hope I have helped

Walter