View Full Version : Mounting options for Hi Lift Jack??

skwake
17-07-2013, 12:24 PM
So I really need to mount my Jack on the TJ. The obvious choice is the rear tyre but I feel like I have loaded up the rear of my car with a lot of weight already - steel bumper and tyre carrier, 35inch mud tyre etc. I am worried that I might be overloading the rear if I hang the Jack from the tyre and load up with camping/recovery gear. Other options I have seen are across the roll bar in the rear, anyone done this? Looks like it might get in the road sometimes? Ad the other place I have seen is on the hood hinges. Seems the most practical for getting more weight over the front but not sure if I like the look and if i would be able to lay the hood against the windscreen anymore. Im conflicted haha any suggestions??
I have a soft top, no roof cage etc also

Squall
17-07-2013, 04:35 PM
I have mine on the bonnet hinge and its great. You can't pull the bonnet all the way back when it's mounted but if you take it off you still can. I have had both my 60" an 48" mounted there with no problems. I have space on the rear carrier but the 60" exceeded the 2.2m clearance I need to get into my garage. The rear roll bar is an option but it would get in the way on extended trips. Fine for a weekend or a trail run but not my preferred option for a permanent mounting position. Oh and on the bonnet can get a bit noisy with the rattles over courgations. It also pays to check your bolts from time to time as stuff shakes loose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

skwake
17-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Where abouts did you get the Bonnet brackets from, there is some on ebay but shipping from USA ends up costing more than my Jack itself did.

I just Layed my Jack across the bonnet to suss it out and actually liked what i saw. Would be good if you could get some sort of bracket that could take the jack plus a shovel and axe. would look pretty tough if it all layed nice and flat on there.

Squall
18-07-2013, 11:32 PM
I bought mine from Wooders a few years ago. I concur with the shovel and axe idea. On the Quadratec website (where I bought my roof rack from) you can get a shovel and axe mounting bracket for the Garvin wildness rack. I will have a look tomorrow but that might bolt onto the jack as an option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tjduck
19-07-2013, 12:10 AM
I saw quite an interesting option on a Jeep in town a while back, they made a custom bracket so the jack sat next to the A-pillar. The jack sat on a bracket that was bolted to the bottom of the tub floor and then was supported by an arm off the windshield bracket.

skwake
19-07-2013, 07:06 AM
I have been looking, there is a few on Ebay but they dont seem to post to Aus

AusJatzman
19-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Uneek 4x4 do bonnet and A pillar mounts.... AND they are Australian.... AND they are an AJOR sponsor.....

How many boxes can one supplier tick.....hahahahaha!