PDA

View Full Version : xj cherokee exhaust headers and systems.

iann
31-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Hey.

Got a cracked exhaust headers, rattly cat and squashed pipe. Looking at replacing the whole unit. Has anyone bought headers on eBay and had issues with fitting it and adapting pipes on? I don't want to be cutting and welding flanges and pipes to make it suit.

Recommend any brands and types? I dont care about gaining hp or making it sound good. It's no performance car.

Any input would be great.

Cheers

darksidecustoms
31-07-2013, 12:14 PM
I bought my stainless headers from China on eBay. Quality was ok (service and packaging terrible) but in hindsight I should have gone with longer headers for better low end torque.

Check out http://go.jeep.info for the agreed ideal setup for a mild 4.0L.

bruggz351
31-07-2013, 02:26 PM
I bought my stainless headers from China on eBay. Quality was ok (service and packaging terrible) but in hindsight I should have gone with longer headers for better low end torque.

Check out http://go.jeep.info for the agreed ideal setup for a mild 4.0L.

Opposite way Darkside;)

Longer runners move the torque band further up the rev range, hence why street drag cars have tuned length 4 into 1.
Try-Y or interference headers are good for low down torque...

:cool:

cheers

junglejuice
31-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Honestly unless you have a pipe bender and a MIG just take it in to an exhaust shop....

Right Price in Moss st are pretty good...

darksidecustoms
31-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Fair call Bruggz I thought it was the other way around.

I must have been confused with my decision to not run the longer runner 99+ intake manifold with my short headers.

rusty577
31-07-2013, 09:10 PM
I love the sound of mine. genie wildcat extractors, 2.5 to cat and 2 1/4 the rest. Also fuel economy went down to 13.8l/100km from 17l. I took the entire system off a wreck. it took me a hole day to remove them from wreck and swap over onto mine. prick off a job thinking about it now.

iann
01-08-2013, 08:07 PM
cheers for info fellas. How about cat converters?

shakes
02-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Can't help with cat's, still havent spoken to or read articles by guys that actually appear to know what they are on about.

As far as headers I really like Hi-tec headers out in sunshine here in melbourne, not much more expensive than the units I found on ebay, stands by his work and has spent years installing the products he sells... Gave me some priceless tips on installing mine.

junglejuice
03-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Gave me some priceless tips on installing mine.

And those tips were?

Roler
03-08-2013, 07:39 AM
cheers for info fellas. How about cat converters?

About two years ago Had mine done in the same place as Junglejuice recommended, not too expensive and done within 1 hour. Not sure what they done to my Rear O2 sensor, which my shop cant get removed , seems almost welded back in.
Back then they also gave me a quote for replacing the headers for $665, no idea if thats a good quote or not, has a small crack and not high on the list atm.

shakes
03-08-2013, 07:54 AM
And those tips were?

Mostly just a really good talk through of the install. How the fuel rail comes off and to spend the $20 on the tool.

And to notch the bottom holes on the manifold so you can thread the bolts in, slide that on then nip it all up.

rusty577
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Donno about cutting the manifold for it to go over the almost done up bolts. I guess it would work fine thinking about it and would save alot of time. Ratchet spanners are your friend ;)

Also I didnt disconnect my fuel lines the fuel line can spin on the fitting so i just spun the back of the rail up and over and tied it safely out of the way.

The hardest bolt I found was I think the 3rd bolt from the front on the bottom. Also its a bit of a pain undoing the powersteering pump through the pully without removing the fan or shroud completely, but it can be done.

junglejuice
03-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Good tips there rusty, especially the ratchet spanners, I have done this job several times and the middle lower bolts are definitely a pain but the ratchet spanners certainly help.
Mine is OBD1 so it has the two fuel lines and found you can flip the intake manifold over to get it out of the way without requiring disconnection.
Twin thermos also makes this job easier!!!!

anthonygubbin
04-08-2013, 07:29 PM
I will be keeping an eye where this thread goes. My exhaust is getting a little noisy and has developed a rattle or two. So far the exhaust manifold appears to have no cracks. I plan on fitting extractors at some stage along with my 99 manifold when I finally get it sent down from Qld. As for a system I will take it to a shop. In Adelaide south I was quoted $200 for a cat back fully installed. I couldn't buy the parts for that. He also offered me extractors for $350 but said he wasn't interested in fitting them. I can see why ;). When I finally get a decent system not sure how I am going to set up the extractors to the cat as I live over 100km from the nearest exhaust shop. I would interested to know how people have overcome fitting there own extractors and then doctored up something so the exhaust still works so they can get the vehicle to the shop to fit the rest. I want a new cat for mine and have heard that Magna Flow are supposed to be fairly decent.

Regards A

junglejuice
04-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Haven't you got that manifold yet?

anthonygubbin
04-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Nah I was gonna pick it up on my way around the Country. So far I made it to Tassie and it's looking highly likely I am not going too far in a hurry.....:(

Regards A

bruggz351
05-08-2013, 12:29 PM

Nah I was gonna pick it up on my way around the Country. So far I made it to Tassie and it's looking highly likely I am not going too far in a hurry.....:(

Regards A

I will be heading to Port Macquarie next W/E. If ya's wanna try and sort some AJOR transport, I'm willing.

cheers

CreepersJeepers
05-08-2013, 03:40 PM
Hi Anthony
Would u mind PMing the details of your Southern Adelaide exhaust guy?
Ta
Alex

anthonygubbin
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Hi Anthony
Would u mind PMing the details of your Southern Adelaide exhaust guy?
Ta
Alex

PM sent. BTW Bruggzz thanks for the offer but unless your coming to Tassie sometime soon it might be easier if I leave it a my sisters place in South Brisbane. I will eventually get it. ATM I don't need it as I will do the extractors and full exhaust at the same time, hopefully.

Regards A