View Full Version : Product opinions please

Mudnguts
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
I'm looking at buying a few bits and would like some feedback.
1. Bestop headliner. How much noise do they actually block out?
2. Snorkel. I know the obvious things but do they help with improving fuel economy?
3. Rugged ridge light guards. What's best, the bar style ones or the mesh style? I think the mesh would be better at stopping stones but am worried about their strength.

tigermuzza
02-08-2013, 05:40 AM
The only one I can help with is the snorkle but I did a few mods at once, stock I was getting around 7km/l but when I did the snorkle, 31" coopers,2" lift and k&n air filter I went up to 9km/l. Would never buy k&n again though, lets way too much crap through

piggy
02-08-2013, 05:52 AM
you will find a small increase in fuel economy & additional power, but both of those are usually lost when you put larger tyres on.
cheers piggy.

skwake
02-08-2013, 06:50 AM
How much are the bestop headliners? I just made myself a headliner for my softtop. I am guessing it woukd be a lot thicker than the bestop one? I cut a foam matress underlay to size and wrapped it with a quilt fabric from spotlight. There are some pics on my build thread. Testing it out this weekend so I will let you know

SeaComms
02-08-2013, 07:28 AM
I would have to say that in my experience from the butt dyno, wallet and missus, that there was no change with the snorkel to power, economy or sound.

AusJatzman
02-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I have the Hothead Headliners and they do make a difference on noise. I also have 285/70/17 and its very quite in the cabin. I have hardly noticed any difference in noise from a sedan or other vehicles. Pretty good for a JK roof.

They quote a 60% increase on climate control as well but will let you know once summer hits and see how it effects air con usage.

Mudnguts
02-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Bestop headliner from ebay inc. freight $160. from what I've read their 10mm high density foam with a vinal wrap. I run 31x10.5R15's with no lift but with my most common trip being 1200Km round trip a 2Km/L saving will add up :)

low ranger
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM
I got very impressive improvements to fuel economy when I fitted the snorkel. I have fitted snorkels on most of my 4WD`s & none have recorded any increase in fuel economy before the TJ. I recommend it.

skwake
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
My headliner is about 35mm but not wrapped in vinyl. Velcro it on and then put the soft top on over it which locks it in solid

Mudnguts
02-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Skwake that's an impressive build up. I'll have to have a look around town and see what I can find to make my own headliner. Gotta be cheaper than $160 and it looks good too

skwake
02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Cheers mate. The big test will be this weekend when I have it all back together and take it for a test run. Yeah it cost me $40 for the foam matress underlay and about $10 for the other fabric plus an hour and a bit to measure and sew it up

Mudnguts
02-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Let me know how it goes. I'm doing a nullabore crossing in November and I'm thinking I may need a box of ear plugs, if the missis doesn't make me deaf the soft top will!

skwake
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Well i just took it for a drive and along with the dynamatting I did it is a totally different vehicle! About as loud as a regular sedan now (minus a little hum from the muddies) very happy

Mudnguts
03-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Low ranger how much improvement did you see? Nullabore fuel prices are always high and the average in town is $1.58 a litre so cheaper running would be good as the nearest town takes 1/4 of a tank to get to :(

Mudnguts
03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Skwake sounds like I'm making a headliner!

low ranger
04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
I`m getting an extra 50km per tank out of it just driving to work. Better again on the highway. The standard inlet on the airbox must be too restrictive as the convoluted tubing used to connect the snorkel to the airbox is not all that conducive to air flow either. Well worth the effort. I used an E-Bay special on mine. The quality of the snorkel & associated fittings is fine, but the fitting instructions are non existent.
Rick

skwake
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I bought a queen size matress underlay and it was almost the perfect width to do the roof. I laid my soft top on the ground upside down and sat the matress underlay on top of it. Just had to trim a tiny bit from one side and then cut it to length.

Mudnguts
04-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Skwake I've got the wife on it!
Low ranger I'm looking at a $150 eBay job (it's got a copper coloured tj for the picture) is this the one you bought?