PDA

View Full Version : A steel rear bar?

single_single
08-11-2013, 05:27 PM
Ok after visiting a few places and asking around about the steel rear bar for KK, seem like the only option to have one is to make it out of blue on my own. I know it sounds kinda crazy, but even if there is/will be one on the market, it gonna be even more crazily costly to buy. It's gonna be a homemade product so I'm not expecting it to be as badass as the steel bullbar Dave came with, just make sure it's functional.

The plan is to make it capable of carrying one spare tyre and two jerry cans, or two spares. Get the steel, cut it, weld it, paint it and put it on.

So... before I start measuring and everything, I would like to know the following things:

1. Where can I get 2mm steel panel?
I checked Bunnings Warehouse, they do have welding tools but no steel panels. :(

2. Is there any legal regulations on fitting customized parts like this to vehicles in Australia?
'Cause I remember Dave sent his prototype for crash test, do I also need that? What's the main purpose for doing this?

3. Any advise, suggestions or what would u expect from a steel rear bar?

Cheers,
Shawn

Jeep'ers
08-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Be careful regarding the rear bar I looked into doing one for my old kj and with ADR compliance and a whole bunch of hassle and the fact you can't carry petrol on the back I gave up!! You can't have an incorporated hitch unless engineer signs off on it and it can't protrude out by a certain distance blah blah blah....

Good luck though can't wait to see the finished product.... ;-p

single_single
08-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Be careful regarding the rear bar I looked into doing one for my old kj and with ADR compliance and a whole bunch of hassle and the fact you can't carry petrol on the back I gave up!! You can't have an incorporated hitch unless engineer signs off on it and it can't protrude out by a certain distance blah blah blah....

Good luck though can't wait to see the finished product.... ;-p

Here's some tiny info I found on our forum.

Can I carry diesel on the back? My KK drinks diesel. :P

Lucky that I'm not planning to put a hitch on that lol.

Jeep'ers
08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Then you should be all sweet.... I'd also support the side wings to chassis and not just the rear if possible..

Carlos-Notlaw
12-11-2013, 12:56 PM
As I understand it you can carry diesel on the rear but not petrol. All due to flash points and rear collisions. This applies in Vic don't know if it is different in other states or if there is a minimum height as you can carry petrol on the roof rack.

Or have I got it completly wrong?

single_single
13-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Then you should be all sweet.... I'd also support the side wings to chassis and not just the rear if possible..

side wings to chassis??

single_single
13-11-2013, 04:13 PM
One more thing that I'm still not sure.
Is it required that rear bars must have brake, reverse and turn signals on it even if the bar is not blocking any part of the original ones??

Carlos-Notlaw
15-11-2013, 07:46 AM
One more thing that I'm still not sure.
Is it required that rear bars must have brake, reverse and turn signals on it even if the bar is not blocking any part of the original ones??

If you cover the existing lighting even partially then you will need duplicates on the rear bar. If you fitting a typre carrier than the tyre covers the lights so you have to provide additional lights on the bar. Visability of the Rego plate will also have to be considered.

There is probably a regulation as to height as well.

derick.vicky
01-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Ok after visiting a few places and asking around about the steel rear bar for KK, seem like the only option to have one is to make it out of blue on my own. I know it sounds kinda crazy, but even if there is/will be one on the market, it gonna be even more crazily costly to buy. It's gonna be a homemade product so I'm not expecting it to be as badass as the steel bullbar Dave came with, just make sure it's functional.

The plan is to make it capable of carrying one spare tyre and two jerry cans, or two spares. Get the steel, cut it, weld it, paint it and put it on.

So... before I start measuring and everything, I would like to know the following things:

1. Where can I get 2mm steel panel?
I checked Bunnings Warehouse, they do have welding tools but no steel panels. :(

2. Is there any legal regulations on fitting customized parts like this to vehicles in Australia?
'Cause I remember Dave sent his prototype for crash test, do I also need that? What's the main purpose for doing this?

3. Any advise, suggestions or what would u expect from a steel rear bar?

Cheers,
Shawn

Hi Shawn,

Any update on your rear bar? Have you been able to build it?

DM

single_single
02-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Hi Derick,

I've been busy with my part time job and study since I'm back to Australia.

Just done the measuring on my car and was studying the design of rear bars for other SUVs to see which designs I could borrow and which I should avoid.

This project is not likely to be done in this year I think as I gonna finish my master degree and prepare for the IELST test.

brucet
03-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Careful with any 'overhangs' on vehicles. I have a background in the RV industry, motorhomes, and I know that the regulations say you can't go beyong the original manufacturers dimensions. Tool boxes etc that you see on motorhomes and caravans are technically illegal.

Things may have changed since I left the industry but I would be checking with the relevant authorities.

regards

KKnut
13-07-2014, 02:22 PM
This is interesting from the Lostjeeps forum. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/a5u6ebud.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/y5e9e2ah.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/penujeny.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/13/ma2eme4a.jpg
Think I'd rather keep the factory bumper and make a solid swing arm mount hidden underneath attached like the towbar. My only concern is where to neatly & conveniently locate the securing latch point? I'd hate for it to get in the way when unloading or graze my shin on it, etc. Of course the swing stub would be on the drivers side and I'd fit a gas strut to control it. Maybe one day?

CibbyDoc
17-07-2014, 09:09 AM
C'mon Dave , it's gotta be easier than the front bar and no compliance issue. ;-)

YankeeDave
17-07-2014, 09:23 AM
C'mon Dave , it's gotta be easier than the front bar and no compliance issue. ;-)

Actually rear bars take us 2-3 times longer than front bars

And in all actuality i'd be lucky to sell 5 KK rear bars

KKnut
17-07-2014, 11:13 AM
I'd like one but rather Dave put the effort into some rock sliders. Surely just a modified version of the JK ones would work and not too much of a commercial risk?

CibbyDoc
17-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Had no idea Dave, guess we wont be seeing one then :-(

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

CibbyDoc
17-07-2014, 11:16 AM
+ 1 for sliders

YankeeDave
17-07-2014, 01:27 PM
Sorry guys, the KK is just not a good seller for offroad products. I mean I sell 6 JK bars for every KK bar i make. Even the Grand stuff outsells the KK by a good margin.

KKnut
17-07-2014, 02:10 PM
[emoji20] I thought you were doing this for the love of Jeeps and offroading? Lol.

dom83
17-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Considering it all started with the KK front bar it seems like it would be the least uneek could do. ;-)

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

YankeeDave
17-07-2014, 02:35 PM
I've got 3 kids to feed, and heaps of jeep products still coming just not for the Kk

www.uneek4x4.com.au

YankeeDave
17-07-2014, 02:36 PM
Considering it all started with the KK front bar it seems like it would be the least uneek could do. ;-)

Actually started with a few jk products.

www.uneek4x4.com.au

dom83
17-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Ok, that was not meant to be a dig at you Dave. Was just a little friendly banter.

YankeeDave
17-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Ok, that was not meant to be a dig at you Dave. Was just a little friendly banter.

I know, no offense taken.

I'd love to do more KK products but at the end of the day not enough KK guys actually use their rig and buy products for them, and shipping to America for low volume is too expensive.

dom83
17-07-2014, 02:45 PM
I know, no offense taken.

I'd love to do more KK products but at the end of the day not enough KK guys actually use their rig and buy products for them, and shipping to America for low volume is too expensive.

Lol..... And I don't even drive a Kk. Just like stirring the pot.

I get it bit just don't understand why more people don't use the KK for off-roading as they are a fairly capable rig. I wonder if you could do a run of a few products if orders are confirmed. Obviously at prices that reflect the limited run of items.

KKnut
17-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Go Dom! Lol. I like your last idea but I also get it's not easy putting time towards projects of limited reward.

Besides Dave's too busy trying to figure out how to put a bar on the KL. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

dom83
17-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Go Dom! Lol. I like your last idea but I also get it's not easy putting time towards projects of limited reward.

Besides Dave's too busy trying to figure out how to put a bar on the KL. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Lol.... Kl man that's gonna be hard. I would love to see how that would turn out. Anybody want to have a go and creating a Photoshop of that.

YankeeDave
17-07-2014, 03:34 PM

IMO the KL will be another KK, limited sales and hardly any one will want to modify them.

Some people I know think they're going to sell heaps and are all going to want some aftermarket accessories. But i don't think so

Auberon
18-07-2014, 01:15 AM
These are a few thoughts I've had over the years getting more serious as I get more time available. Hope these comments help you.

I would love to make one for my KJ if I can find the time.
All I intended to do was copy the present shape and retain lights , reflectors etc where they are, adding a chequer plate where that next to top plate (for standing on where that useless little poly scuff pad is.

I cut using oxy for sheet - but I use the Henrob - no distortion - almost as good as a plasma when set properly. You need to do a development of your design and fold it up to work out how much total sheet you need. They should cut to the overall size needed for your total job. Otherwise you generally have to buy in whole sheets. Also a good quality Nibbler (Industrial grade) will deal with it pretty well just use the right type of lube to preserve cutting edges.
If worst comes to worst you would have to buy a 1220 mm x 3 000 mm sheet of it - they may sell other sizes and then you have to be able to handle it to take delivery.

Steel sheet in 2mm would need to come from an engineers suppliers. Forget Bunnings. Their steel prices are far too inflated.
Metal suppliers like Williamstown metals in Vic are a good source and may cut half sheets. Brilliant to deal with. Suppliers such as this are all over the place but your local bloke might not cut to half sheets etc.

I fully intend to copy the original shapes for ends etc and make it out of 2 mm plate. The cures can be made using the 20T shop press on dollies.

How you cut it needs to avoid distortion otherwise you'll get into all sorts of difficulty with but the rolling and bending will stiffen quite nicely. Simple MIG welding will do.

What I did want to add was a stub axle that supported spares wheels that acts as a swing away gate WITH the cars swingate - that would have a buffered ovate slot with a rubber eye in it so that when you open the swing gate the spare wheel swings away with it. The KJ design lends itself to it quite well.

This means that dimensionally it would still be the same but it would be stronger and able to support 2 tyres.
Only have rough hand sketches so far but it can be done.

I also planned on concealed hitch eyes off the frame / chassis so it would stay legal with no projections.
Gees time was you didn't even have to have a bumper on an aussie car ....

FAB
30-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I've got 3 kids to feed, and heaps of jeep products still coming just not for the Kk

www.uneek4x4.com.au
That's why I am selling mine when the lease is up and get a jk I love the new roof rack by the way

Clarky
30-07-2014, 10:58 PM

Lol.... Kl man that's gonna be hard. I would love to see how that would turn out. Anybody want to have a go and creating a Photoshop of that.

Closest you will see to a bulbar at the moment, but anything covering up the front of a KL would be an improvement.

http://www.rocky-road.com/media/cherokee-kl-bumper-kit.jpg

KKnut
30-07-2014, 11:00 PM
Wow that was fast, gonna need it though. [emoji38]

FAB
08-09-2014, 07:14 PM
These are a few thoughts I've had over the years getting more serious as I get more time available. Hope these comments help you.

I would love to make one for my KJ if I can find the time.
All I intended to do was copy the present shape and retain lights , reflectors etc where they are, adding a chequer plate where that next to top plate (for standing on where that useless little poly scuff pad is.

I cut using oxy for sheet - but I use the Henrob - no distortion - almost as good as a plasma when set properly. You need to do a development of your design and fold it up to work out how much total sheet you need. They should cut to the overall size needed for your total job. Otherwise you generally have to buy in whole sheets. Also a good quality Nibbler (Industrial grade) will deal with it pretty well just use the right type of lube to preserve cutting edges.
If worst comes to worst you would have to buy a 1220 mm x 3 000 mm sheet of it - they may sell other sizes and then you have to be able to handle it to take delivery.

Steel sheet in 2mm would need to come from an engineers suppliers. Forget Bunnings. Their steel prices are far too inflated.
Metal suppliers like Williamstown metals in Vic are a good source and may cut half sheets. Brilliant to deal with. Suppliers such as this are all over the place but your local bloke might not cut to half sheets etc.

I fully intend to copy the original shapes for ends etc and make it out of 2 mm plate. The cures can be made using the 20T shop press on dollies.

How you cut it needs to avoid distortion otherwise you'll get into all sorts of difficulty with but the rolling and bending will stiffen quite nicely. Simple MIG welding will do.

What I did want to add was a stub axle that supported spares wheels that acts as a swing away gate WITH the cars swingate - that would have a buffered ovate slot with a rubber eye in it so that when you open the swing gate the spare wheel swings away with it. The KJ design lends itself to it quite well.

This means that dimensionally it would still be the same but it would be stronger and able to support 2 tyres.
Only have rough hand sketches so far but it can be done.

I also planned on concealed hitch eyes off the frame / chassis so it would stay legal with no projections.
Gees time was you didn't even have to have a bumper on an aussie car ....
I saw a good gear bar on lost jeep should have a look

Auberon
08-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Thanks Fab, aware of that one - if it's the same unit. There have been a few on LOST over the years. I have an idea of a bar that opens when the swing gate opens and latches with it for everyday running - so you don't need to open one then the other. It would be able to be locked or pinned very securely for tougher going / higher loads or pulling from.

I haven't yet seen one that works with the swing gate for everyday running. They all seem to need separate opening that would probably be a PITB.
Cheers and thanks again.

CibbyDoc
29-11-2014, 06:10 AM
Wow thats amazkng, even with a tonne of metal on the front, the kl still manages to look like a handbag accessorie. Im nkw confinced nothing can make this lookmlikeca jeep, no offence meant to our kl brothers.