PDA

View Full Version : Moved to Perth. Just bought an XJ.

Porkchop Express
08-02-2014, 07:32 AM
I am from Alabama currently working FIFO and living in Perth. Been missing wheelin' back home so last weekend I bought a '97 XJ to start wrenching on and do a little wheelin'. Australia is awesome! You guys have a ton of wide open space to explore!!! Needed something to explore it in. Looking for guys to go wheelin' with. Do Jeep guys get together for any rides around Perth? Went to Power Line Track last weekend. Awesome!
Next up. Current plans for the XJ are 2" BB, Lockrite up front, sway bar discos, hack-n-tap 242 (running 8.25 out back and currently has factory skid plate drop which has got to go), some rocker protection, rebuild trash lock and 31 10.50. More regulated here than back home so I need to keep it tame so I don't get yellow stickered. Also don't want to spend a ton because I'm only here temporarily. I figure that setup will surprise alot of Cherokee haters that don't realize how great a platform the XJ is. I live in a company supplied apartment in the CBD...so wrenching there will be tough. So any Jeepers out there in Perth willing to let me use their driveway / tools once in a while? I can buy you beer and you can laugh as I bust my knuckles. That's usually what my friends do back home. I love helping wrench on others vehicles as well. Also, I'll be happy to take you wheelin' on some awesome trails back in Bama if you're ever over that way.

murray
08-02-2014, 10:44 AM
welcome there are a few of us that get out once in a while

Porkchop Express
08-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Great. I'm in Perth about 1 week a month. I'd love to tag along on a ride.

optical
22-02-2014, 12:39 PM
so..........

when are you going to start getting someone back home to send parts over :D :D :D

welcome to perth, and welcome to swarms of flys :)

Porkchop Express
22-02-2014, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome. The flies are crazy! Really bad in the Pilbara. Parts are definitely alot cheaper and more plentiful back home. Just ordered some parts from Rusty's Offroad a couple of nights ago. I'm back in Perth until Thursday morning. Nice looking XJ btw. I put some 31's on mine yesterday. Had to put some washers under the steering stops to keep from hitting the lca's. Other than that, seems to work fine. Gonna try to pick up a set of WJ lca's on Monday so I can get my turning radius back. Also gonna try to install some coil spacers for a small lift. If you want to hit a trail a some point let me know. I'd love to tag along.

optical
23-02-2014, 08:25 PM
unfortunately that XJ in my avatar is long sold - about 4 years ago

BUT, just dropped a deposit on an '01 classic. Bog stock except a few minor dents and an ARB bullbar. Going to tidy up, service and keep stock until im ready to go nuts again. Probably aim for a similar setup to the old one, but with the addition of long arms, 35's and D44

Porkchop Express
19-03-2014, 02:07 PM
Wow time flies. Haven't checked this in a while. You get your 2001? That'll be a nice setup. The Ford 8.8 out of Explorer's is a great rear axle too. C-clip, but real beefy...plus rear disk. Right width and bolt pattern. Back home you can find 'em all over the junkyards...with 4:10's and limited slip if you look hard. My xj has the Chrysler 8.25. No 44, but still pretty good. They got it right in Australia on the TJ's. All came with a 44 in the back. 95% of the TJ's back home had a D35. Dana 44 is tough to beat for the size.

Dissociative
19-03-2014, 05:43 PM
Conversely, the vast majorly of XJ's here got D35, you did well to find one with an 8.25 and I don't think any D44's hit the export models afaik.

Welcome btw, great name - loved that movie!

Hit any of the trails yet? What do you think of the aussie terrain?

If you're keen to tag along etc, the wa jeep facebook page is probably not a bad place to start, they seem to get out a bit plus there's the jeep club of wa.

Porkchop Express
19-03-2014, 06:01 PM
I was excited when I saw this one had the 8.25. I had trouble figuring out which ones had it and which ones didn't. It seems like all the Limited's have ABS and therefore the Dana 35. Mine is a Sport. Mine also has steering and gas tank skids which are pretty decent factory skid plates and I think the suspension sits up about an inch higher (upcountry springs). I am curious to look under some other Sports to see if they have the same setup.
Most people don't get the movie reference. :) Love that movie too. That's what I named my 1985 Toyota 4runner back in Alabama. Thanks for the welcome. I'll check out that FB page.
I found a group of guys I've been wheeling with when I'm in town. A couple wheel JK's. Enjoying the change of scenery. Mundaring Power Line Track is fun. Also played in the dunes near 2 Rocks. What Australia has going for it is all this wide open space. Great to get out and explore. Back home offroading is mostly restricted to offroad parks...which have their pluses and minuses. I'm loving it here. Heading back from my swing in the Pilbara today. Gonna put a lift, some sliders and a locker on the Cherokee while back this swing. I'm loving the Cherokee. Can't beat it for bang for the buck.