View Full Version : Trying to move to kangaroo country

afd660
21-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Just wanted to see what Australia is like compared to America. Ive talked to a Aussie in Kuwait in 2005 that was in the military and he said there's no other place he would rather live.. I've also heard things from different people but most of them have never been to AU. I'm asking because I'm trying to transfer over from the American military to the Aussie military. I read that getting a worker visa or skillset visa is really hard so the military is the way to go. Just had a few questions about the AU, just basic questions like how do locals feel about Americans, how does the military feel about getting ex Americans military in their ranks. Is there a website I can look at and get information about modifying Jeeps and keeping it legal??

Shafus
21-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Come on down, you will wonder why you never came sooner. Except if you like having many high powered military weapons and over the top lifts on your jeeps, then you will get home sic. I have a few mates in the army and I would say they don't hate yanks just not fans of 'we are the best' chest out approach Americans have with fighting. If your not a arse hole they will welcome you into their ranks

Gecko JK
21-02-2014, 09:53 AM
Been to many beautiful places overseas but there is still nothing like coming back home to Australia! Wouldn't live anywhere else. Plus there are endless places to take your 4wd! =)

afd660
21-02-2014, 10:26 AM
Does Australia not allow lift kits?? Not going to big but maybe 2.5in. I do like owning guns though.. it would suck having to give them up... thats like you guys giving up veggemite. Lol... i did get a response from a person in the military asking more about my experience. Does anybody here have more details about the process switching over to the AU military?? I have no kids or wife so i think it would be to hard for me to relocate if i get accepted. Thanks for the responses..

ian
21-02-2014, 10:36 AM
You can have basically a small lift 33-34 tyres no issue. You can get a gun licence. We shoot every weekend. Not a better place to live in the world. Great weather, sexy women, cold beer.

Brockie
21-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Arrive with the intention of fitting in and you will have no problems at all. Those that have to broadcast how great the place is that they have come from are annoying and if they love it so much, why are they not there now. Be a regular guy and you will be readily and quickly accepted.

afd660
21-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Thanks guys.... im not arrogant or anything... just an Army medic... lol... does anybody know the process for transferring over to the AU military?? I already sent in a expression of intrest and then emailed a CPL some documents.

layback40
21-02-2014, 12:01 PM
I was going to post this in the "How tough are Aussie blokes thread but I thought it may help our new Aussie !!

Travel questions sent to International Tourist Bureaus.

Q: Does it ever get windy in Australia? I have never seen it rain on TV, how do the plants grow? (UK). A: We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around watching them die.

Q: Will I be able to see kangaroos in the street? (USA). A: Depends how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Perth to Sydney - can I follow the railroad tracks? (Sweden). A: Sure, it's only three thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Which direction is North in Australia? (USA). A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees. Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions.

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Australia? (UK). A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do...

Q: Are there supermarkets in Sydney and is milk available all year round? (Germany). A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of vegan hunter gatherers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA) A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

Q: I have a question about a famous animal in Australia, but I forget its name. It's a kind of bear and lives in trees. (USA). A: It's called a Drop Bear. They are so called because they drop out of Gum trees and eat the brains of anyone walking underneath them. You can scare them off by spraying yourself with human urine before you go out walking.

Q: Do you celebrate Christmas in Australia? (France). A: Only at Christmas time.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA). A: Yes, but you'll have to learn it first

kj69
21-02-2014, 12:03 PM
Do yourself a favour come for a holiday to sus the place out before you lock it in .

NTRubicon
21-02-2014, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys.... im not arrogant or anything... just an Army medic... lol... does anybody know the process for transferring over to the AU military?? I already sent in a expression of intrest and then emailed a CPL some documents.

this site should provide some helpful information on lateral transfer to the ADF
http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/recruitmentcentre/canIJoin/overseasApplicants/army.aspx

If you are looking for the other arms of the ADF (RAAF or Navy) the system doesn't appear too much different.

there is a recent attachment of US Marines that has landed in Darwin, but not sure on their movements and how long they are posted up there.

If you we just looking under the skilled migration visa 457 here is a link to the current skills shortage list in Australia http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-occupation-list.htm

From there you would need an employer willing to sponsor you for the visa, last time I looked at it, it was a two year term, you could then apply for a permanent resident visa, then a few more years after that you could apply for citizenship. If you change employment in the first two year term, you are required to have another sponsor prepared to take on the skilled worker visa terms and then time continues until the two years is up.

From an Aussie perspective, we think most of most Americans as "yanks" which means if you are from the other side of the civil war borders, it is likely to offend we don't know any different.. We're Aussies.. Our civil war is called the State of Origin. Ask around.. It's violent. the south has been trying for years to beat the north.. So a lot like the American civil war I guess :)

dobbo56
21-02-2014, 12:42 PM
mate shoot redrubi an email at [sydneyjeepclub.com] im sure he can answer all your questions, tell him Doggy sent you. Cheers Doggy.

AroGantz
21-02-2014, 02:01 PM
One important fact that no-one has mentioned is Aussies will put sh!t on you, you really need to be able to cop it on the chin and send it back, we tend to put sh!t on those we like and just put up with those we don't if we have too. Our language can also be different but here is a list of sites to try to catch up with our slang https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Aussie+dictionary&oq=Aussie+dictionary&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6017j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8.

@NTRubicon, The south don't have a chance, 9 in a row this year :D

afd660
21-02-2014, 02:33 PM
One important fact that no-one has mentioned is Aussies will put sh!t on you, you really need to be able to cop it on the chin and send it back, we tend to put sh!t on those we like and just put up with those we don't if we have too. Our language can also be different but here is a list of sites to try to catch up with our slang https://www.google.com.au/search?q=Aussie+dictionary&oq=Aussie+dictionary&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6017j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8.

@NTRubicon, The south don't have a chance, 9 in a row this year :D

That's a lot of damn Aussie talk to learn. LOL. The states here is just turning into crap. The military is turning into softies, its not the hard charging force it used to be, its "lets talk about our feelings" type now. LOL. I researched some more and AU seems like its less about welfare and more about being a man and taking care of yourself. (friends and family included I guess) I hope to be able to transfer without much trouble, I think it says I have to travel to the UK for an interview, tickets are pretty expensive to fly there and also to get a hotel room. But its probably worth it.

One thing I did learn is that you guys don't drink beer from a bottle like we do in America, you drink from a glass... bottle drinker are puffs...

Heres a pic of my Jeep, and of me with my girlfriend. haha...

tjmad
21-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Depends on you, I'm a pom (born in England) and have been called a pommy all my life. I don't mind, it is just what Aussies call people form England, others find it offensive. I love it here just so you know.

NTRubicon
21-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Just spoke with a retired US military colonel about this situation, he says to stay in the US military as there are more benefits for us soldiers than there are for AUS soldiers. Better support financially, medically etc.

If you come out to AUS on a military ticket, it might pay to research taking on a posting as a US soldier in AUstralia training the Aussie medics or something like that.. That way you don't lose your US military position.

doesn't make much sense to me, but maybe it helps you

Paul-JK
21-02-2014, 03:41 PM
Can't help with the army side of things but in terms of general things associated with moving........

I've been here for 6 years now and love it. Originally from UK. Permanent resident now. Wouldn't go anywhere else.
The reality is that any white face here (and many other colours) are all immigrants in one way or another. A few might have been here a little longer than others but we all came from somewhere else at some point. That means there is a diverse range of people here and I think Australian's are far more accepting of others because of it.
The visa process can be painful. My advice is get an immigration consultant to handle it for you. Yes, it will cost, but it'll be the best money you've spend in terms of saving stress and time.
I came in on a 457 visa. They were easier to get a few years ago but I've heard they're tightening up on them now. When I came they were a 4 year work dependent visa. You had to agree to stay in your original job for 3 years and then I think you can change, but you must be employed. After 4 years you can then apply for citizenship. I've not done that yet but I did change to a 856 permanent visa after 6 months. I actually applied for the 856 visa first but it was taking too long so came in on the 457 while the 856 was being processed. I was lucky though. I was being sponsored by my employer so it was far simpler.
As others have said, everyone is easy going here (too easy going at times) and as long as you make an effort to fit in then you'll be fine. It's the people who come in and refuse to change that rubs people up the wrong way, and rightly so. You're in someone else's country. Experience it, adapt to it, and enjoy it.
I would certainly recommend coming over for a holiday to see if you do like it. It can be the silliest little things that you find you can't live with and a few weeks holiday can give you a far better impression of the place than you'll get from talking to others about it.

Good luck with it.

afd660
21-02-2014, 04:58 PM
It would be cool to be able to go to the AU as a US soldier but I got out about a year ago. Taking a vacation out there would be expensive, wish I could afford it. Unless anybody knows a pretty Aussie woman that wants to get married to an American. LOL... I have no problem leaving the states, I actually found it to be less stressful when I was in Iraq vs being here.

JKlamb
21-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Hey mate,

The reasons you got sick of the US military are no different to the Australian military.

A lot of ex Brits come over here, they are known as lateral transfers.

Not sure on the process from the US.

Being a medic if you have field medic quals that would be valuable.

You just need to google defence jobs for the ADF and start the email process.

The pay and conditions are probably the best compared to other countries, this is comparing from some Brits and Americans I have spoken too.

Make sure you get your record of attainments organized.

If you make it in you may need to redo basic training, if your lucky they will direct transfer.

Any more questions

rjl3175
21-02-2014, 08:27 PM
Ya gonna hafta learn tha lingo if ya gonna live in Straya. And ya gonna hafta watch out for dem drop bears mate, bastards'll eat ya brains out if they land on ya.

afd660
22-02-2014, 07:17 AM
Am I going to have to drink Fosters or Guinness beer also??? lol.. I hope to be able to move there and teach you Aussies what real football is... haha One of my buddies in the military was married to a New Zealand girl and she was really nice.

SeaComms
22-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Real football? Try no padding or armour anywhere :-)

Sent from a tiny keyboard with fat fingers, apologies for my spelling. .

cruiserfied
22-02-2014, 10:38 AM
My sister went over to USA as an au pair after school. Met an American married and they are living over there wishing they could move back here. I've been for holidays and although it was nice and I would go back there's no way I'd want to relocate permanently. As for Fosters, you barely see it here Anymore and if you want real football (pronounced footy) YouTube state of origin.

afd660
22-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Well if you know of any AU women that want to marry an American and wants to stay in Australia let me know. I don't mind moving. lol..... Damn Queensland and NSW really do not get along, a quarter of the game is just them fighting... haha..

furkew
22-02-2014, 05:22 PM
check out these forums for some extra info:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

They are predominantly Poms moving overseas (Australia being the main destination). There are plenty of guys moving from the UK military to Oz military on both sites, that can probably give you some advice, and if you have any questions at all about the different Visa's, you will find your answer somewhere.

good luck with your research.

cruiserfied
22-02-2014, 05:36 PM
Damn Queensland and NSW really do not get along, a quarter of the game is just them fighting... haha..

The best ones have more fighting than footy. Any other time of the year there is peace across the borders :)

TOYROX
23-02-2014, 08:27 AM
Try Eharmony or plentyoffish.com.au
Sure to be an Aussie wife there.

AroGantz
23-02-2014, 09:26 PM
I saw this on G+ mate, interesting take on Australia from one of your countrymen, I do ask let's not start the gun debate here from his comments :)

Australia - through the Eyes of a Visiting American

Sometimes it is good to be reminded of the good things, not just the negatives:

There's a lot to admire about Australia, especially if you're a visiting American, says David Mason.

More often than you might expect, Australian friends patiently listening to me enthuse about their country have said, ''We need outsiders like you to remind us what we have.''

So here it is - a small presumptuous list of what one foreigner admires in Oz.

1. Health care.

I know the controversies, but basic national health care is a gift.

In America, medical expenses are a leading cause of bankruptcy.

The drug companies dominate politics and advertising.

Obama is being crucified for taking halting baby steps towards sanity.

You can't turn on the telly without hours of drug advertisements - something I have never yet seen here.

And your emphasis on prevention - making cigarettes less accessible, for one - is a model.

2. Food.

Yes, we have great food in America too, especially in the big cities.

But your bread is less sweet, your lamb is cheaper, and your supermarket vegetables and fruits are fresher than ours.

Too often in my country an apple is a ball of pulp as big as your face.

The dainty Pink Lady apples of Oz are the juiciest I've had.

And don't get me started on coffee.

In American small towns it tastes like water flavoured with burnt dirt, but the smallest shop in the smallest town in Oz can make a first-rate latte.

I love your ubiquitous bakeries, your hot-cross buns. Shall I go on?

3. Language.

How do you do it?

The rhyming slang and Aboriginal place names like magic spells.

Words that seem vaguely English yet also resemble an argot from another planet.

I love the way institutional names get turned into diminutives - Vinnie's and Salvos - and absolutely nothing's sacred.

Everything's an opportunity for word games and everyone's a nickname.

Lingo makes the world go round.

It's the spontaneous wit of the people that tickles me most.

Late one night at a barbie my new mate Suds remarked, ''Nothing's the same since 24-7.'' Amen.

4. Free-to-air TV.

In Oz, you buy a TV, plug it in and watch some of the best programming I've ever seen - uncensored.

In America, you can't get diddly-squat without paying a cable or satellite company heavy fees.

In Oz a few channels make it hard to choose.

In America, you've got 400 channels and nothing to watch.

5. Small shops.

Outside the big cities in America corporations have nearly erased them.

Identical malls with identical restaurants serving inferior food.

Except for geography, it's hard to tell one American town from another.

The ''take-away'' culture here is wonderful.

Human encounters are real - stirring happens, stories get told.

The curries are to die for. And you don't have to tip!

6. Free camping.

We used to have this too, and I guess it's still free when you backpack miles away from the roads.

But I love the fact that in Oz everyone owns the shore and in many places you can pull up a camper van and stare at the sea for weeks.

I love the ''primitive'' and independent campgrounds, the life out of doors.

The few idiots who leave their stubbies and rubbish behind in these pristine places ought to be transported in chains.

7. Religion.

In America, it's everywhere - especially where it's not supposed to be, like politics.

I imagine you have your Pharisees too, making a big public show of devotion, but I have yet to meet one here.

8. Roads.

Peak hour aside, I've found travel on your roads pure heaven.

My country's ''freeways'' are crowded, crumbling, insanely knotted with looping overpasses - it's like racing homicidal maniacs on fraying spaghetti.

I've taken the Hume without stress, and I love the Princes Highway when it's two lanes.

Ninety minutes south of Batemans Bay I was sorry to see one billboard for a McDonald's.

It's blocking a lovely paddock view. Someone should remove it.

9. Real multiculturalism.

I know there are tensions, just like anywhere else, but I love the distinctiveness of your communities and the way you publicly acknowledge the Aboriginal past.

Recently, too, I spent quality time with Melbourne Greeks, and was gratified both by their devotion to their own great language and culture and their openness to an Afghan lunch.

10. Fewer guns.

You had Port Arthur in 1996 and got real in response.

America replicates such massacres several times a year and nothing changes

Why?

Our religion of individual rights makes the good of the community an impossible dream.

Instead of mateship we have ''It's mine and nobody else's''.

We talk a great game about freedom, but too often live in fear.

There's more to say - your kaleidoscopic birds, your perfumed bush in springtime, your vast beaches.

These are just a few blessings that make Australia a rarity.

Of course, it's not paradise - nowhere is - but I love it here.

No need to wave flags like Americans and add to the world's windiness.

Just value what you have and don't give it away.

David Mason is a US writer and professor, and poet laureate of Colorado.

NTRubicon
23-02-2014, 10:22 PM
Can you claim refugee status from Obamacare and just come over by boat? There are some folks who get into Australia on very dubious grounds, yet it's made difficult for people who just genuinely want to come here and stay forever.

A good read above too. Sums us up nicely

afd660
24-02-2014, 03:54 AM
I wish I could claim refugee... lol.. as long as I can get over there and get a job. That is a good article to read. I haven't heard of any complaints about Australia other than the Pakistanis or whatever immigrating over there. Also have to watch out for the drop bears to huh :D???

And yeah everything is about making money. Doctors give you pills like candy over here. Then that makes people think they have to keep taking these pills to be "normal". I've seen people addicted to pain pills, they run out of pills so they get depressed and go to the Emergency room or Doctors office, they claim depression, get pills for depression then they get a refill on their pain meds. So now they have another medication they take. And if they see multiple doctors, they can give out different pills for the same thing. 1 DR. will give Vicotin for pain and the DR down the street will give Percocet for pain. Its an endless cycle.

TOYROX
24-02-2014, 06:54 PM
Yep. Watch out for drop bears. They'll gouge out ya eyes and eat em like juju berries.

fairmont1998
25-02-2014, 08:01 PM
One of my workmates is from Louisville, Kentucky. He's been here a few years now and loves it here.

Vards
25-02-2014, 08:38 PM
I saw this on G+ mate, interesting take on Australia from one of your countrymen, I do ask let's not start the gun debate here from his comments :)

Very nice!

redrubi
04-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Transfer to the ADF then go from there Mate

Jonny Jeep
06-02-2019, 06:50 PM
This thread died five years ago.