PDA

View Full Version : Tyretrek

Kontek
16-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Hi all, was looking at a tyretrek sollution for my jack and spare tyre (I have a donut gastank). Has anyone had any experience with this product ?
http://www.tyretrek.com.au

Cheers

KKnut
16-09-2014, 11:38 PM
I'm on LPG too and would love something like that or Kaymar style unit. There was some chat about this a while back and someone in qld made their own, but haven't heard anyone using the tyretrek on a KK yet.

Kontek
16-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Im very tempted KKnut, ill suss out a retailer tomorrow. Hopefully someone on this forum has bought one

KKnut
16-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Here it is.

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123197

Kontek
17-09-2014, 08:51 PM
The recomended reseller in dandenong wants $1250 which includes Hi lift bracket. Im wondering if the tow bar can handle all this wait. Isnt it alot of weight to apply vertically ?

Straatboef
29-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I used one on my KK loaded with 2 jerry cans, went through the Simpson desert - Frenchline - without any problems! Best investment I made!

chris0375
29-09-2014, 11:40 AM
The recomended reseller in dandenong wants $1250 which includes Hi lift bracket. Im wondering if the tow bar can handle all this wait. Isnt it alot of weight to apply vertically ?
Vertical weight isn't the issue. The issue is that it is applied further back than a towball so it applies a much greater moment than just about any trailer. It is also not very well restrained, relying on the squareness of the receiver to keep it up right. Not saying that it doesn't work but the inherent design of such a product cantilevering has a lot of awkward forces that it needs to resist.

layback40
29-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Vertical weight isn't the issue. The issue is that it is applied further back than a towball so it applies a much greater moment than just about any trailer. It is also not very well restrained, relying on the squareness of the receiver to keep it up right. Not saying that it doesn't work but the inherent design of such a product cantilevering has a lot of awkward forces that it needs to resist.

X2
The frame rails on many jeeps are barely strong enough for a standard tow bar to be mounted to, this just makes it worse. Maybe ok for black top but if you are bouncing around over rocks the tow bar mounts may not be up to it. Most spare wheel carriers have extra bracing where they mount.

Kontek
29-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Might look into reinforcing the tow bar

chris0375
29-09-2014, 02:19 PM
I would ask them if they warrant it for off road use. And get it in writing.

Straatboef
02-10-2014, 04:06 PM

This is not exactly true, it has a wedge lock system so do not just rely on the squareness.

As I said, mine survived the Simpson Desert. And my towbar as well.