View Full Version : Researching an expedition to Australia

Vince
25-06-2015, 06:42 AM
Hi,

I live in Wales, the old one, on the west side of England. My wife and I have done a few international expeditions in Europe and USA in the last ten years but now I'm seriously thinking about an expedition in Australia before my Jeep gets too old for the task.

My wife has rellies in Townsville, Queensland and we have been thinking about flying over for a visit for a while. I would really like to ship my RHD XJ over first so it's waiting for us when we arrive. Hopefully we could join a local club's expedition (or two) somewhere as well as doing some touring ourselves.

I don't know what year we would do this trip. It takes a lot of planning and longer to get the cash together but I would probably try and find some other Brit to join us to lower the per vehicle freight costs. Sometimes local laws and insurance screws up the best international expedition plans and it just doesn't happen. Anyway, I'm in the feasibility phase at the moment and in need of lots of local advice.

My first question:

Is Australia still bound to The 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Convention (amended in 2011)? The reason I ask is because my heavily modified XJ is still road legal in the UK, but probably not so in Australia. The treaty doesn't care about mods, the vehicle just has to be road legal in the country of registration to permit travel in the foreign countries.

I did have a few problems with law enforcement in some states in the USA that weren't aware of the treaty. In Philadelphia, the Jeep almost got impounded for multiple violations of local vehicle codes. Having a copy of the treaty with me and a statement from my US insurance company that the vehicle was covered in all states helped keep me on my way to Moab.

My Cherokee is a RHD 2001 60th Anniversary with 8" lift, rear coils and 35" tyres.

Some pics still on NAXJA...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=970709
Silver XJ with 'GB' sticker 'N4 XJA' registration.

Tyvokka
25-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Not too sure about the treaty, but I'd say you're too tall for our nanny states/colonies :)

In New Wales,
2" without engineering approval
6" total lift with.

The laws here are confusing enough for locals..

Vince
25-06-2015, 07:41 AM
I guess 'engineering approval' is like our Basic Individual Vehicle Assessment (BIVA). Thankfully my Jeep is still 1 point below the threshold for having a BIVA test.

When I was in Utah and Colorado I had detachable truck mud flaps on the rear to keep the local police happy. I could put shorter springs in but probably would have to do shocks bump stops and limit straps too.

So if an Australian Jeep looks like it's over 6" lift what's likely to happen? Pulled over by Police and ticketed or just trouble at annual inspection or after a traffic accident?

Does the 6" lift include the ride height gain from increased tyre size?
My Jeep stands 12" taller than stock height.
((35"-27")/2)+8"=12"

Ever seen any foreign registered vehicles on your roads before? Foreign vehicle insurance is the next headache but I suspect the 'Carnet de Passage' for Australia will probably be the project killer.

Vince
25-06-2015, 08:47 AM
Is an XJ a car or a light truck in Australia?
It's a car in the UK and a light truck in the USA.

Australia demands an additional £8,000 supplemental bond for temporary import of cars but not for other vehicle types.
http://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/driving-abroad/carnet-prices.aspx

Tyvokka
25-06-2015, 09:20 AM
It really is quite confusing and you have to contact each state's transport authority to ensure you're fully covered.

Just googled " australian modified vehicle regulation " and there is a whole bunch of stuff to read up on.

In New Wales ( South), :o

150mm ~ 6" is TOTAL lift, ( Body+Tyres+Lift), you're wayyyyyy over and cannot get engineered as it's beyond the regs.

With your 35s, you'd have to bring the lift down to 2". Also the top of your headlights must not be more than 1200mm and top of the number plate not more than 1300mm. Wheel track increase not more than 50mm etc....

Engineering test will look at your overall build, welding, etc. Look at VSB 14 checklist for example.

You will require a double lane change test (moose test), which in turn requires the hire of a runway, race track etc where the test can be carried out.

Brake test can be done electronically. This has reduced testing cost by a huge margin.

This is for locals, not sure what the regs are for international visitors.

In short, it is a humongous pain in the 4rse..... ;)

Tyvokka
25-06-2015, 09:26 AM
Is an XJ a car or a light truck in Australia?
It's a car in the UK and a light truck in the USA.

Australia demands an additional £8,000 supplemental bond for temporary import of cars but not for other vehicle types.
http://www.rac.co.uk/pdfs/driving-abroad/carnet-prices.aspx

Neither:).

It is a LIGHT VEHICLE here mate.

Some docs for your perusal

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx

Read them all but especially these:
NCOP11 Section LS Suspension and Steering V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 1319 KB
NCOP12 Section LT Test Procedures V2 01Jan2011 PDF: 991 KB ReadSpeaker

The requirements for bull bars and number plates is somewhere else...nicely hidden away..

However, once you comply with one state, you're good to travel the country.

WHHEMI
25-06-2015, 09:54 AM
How long would you be here for, it would work out a lot cheaper to buy something here and sell when your finished.

Redemptioner
25-06-2015, 10:40 AM
You are coming to QLD so none of the authorities are really going to care, especially if you are up in Northern QLD (ie. Townsville), your jeep will be tiny compared to some of the vehicles up there. As long as the tires don't stick out past the guards then you should be fine as they po-po understand that many places in QLD require some serious mods to even be able to drive some of the gazetted roads.

TOYROX
25-06-2015, 10:53 AM
You could buy an XJ here for the cost of shipping paying the local duties and the GST (VAT).
Plus your mods certification to get local rego would cost an arm and a leg.
Its a great place to explore with a tent you could travel for years all over the counrty. But the distances are something you would not be use to.

Tyvokka
25-06-2015, 10:58 AM
You are coming to QLD so none of the authorities are really going to care, especially if you are up in Northern QLD (ie. Townsville), your jeep will be tiny compared to some of the vehicles up there. As long as the tires don't stick out past the guards then you should be fine as they po-po understand that many places in QLD require some serious mods to even be able to drive some of the gazetted roads.

An expedition to Australia would involve other states too I believe, unless QLD IS Australia.. ;)

WA is a different country altogether, however!! :p:p

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customs_Convention_on_the_Temporary_Importation_of _Private_Road_Vehicles
This does not specify technical requirements though.

Tyvokka
25-06-2015, 11:12 AM
You could buy an XJ here for the cost of shipping paying the local duties and the GST (VAT).
Plus your mods certification to get local rego would cost an arm and a leg.
Its a great place to explore with a tent you could travel for years all over the counrty. But the distances are something you would not be use to.

Yeah I agree. The distance literally is a killer. Remote areas here are that!!

Driving in the USA is a stretch of Europen driving, with facilities within a few hours and mobile phone coverage pretty much everywhere you go. Not so here. Having said that, I did take 8 hours from Lake Powell to Salt Lake City's main hospital's emergency room...that's 6.5 hours on the highway doing 150kmh pretty much all the way plus 1.5 hours fast boat ride, couple of pee and burger stops. No In and Out I'm afraid.

Fuel quantity, burn, range have to be taken into account, not just how massive you are.

Satphone is also a necessity. HF is way too expensive and antiquated.

Then there's everything else to consider. Parts, mechanics, land permits, time change, border crossings etc.

P/S: Where in Wales? I lived and studied in Cardiff in the late 80s and no speed cameras on the motorway. Cardiff to London in 1:42 in my mates custom VW Golf GTI 2.2 Turbo. The Sierra Cosworth was the "it" car then.. :)

TOYROX
25-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Dont forget the Drop Bears in the National parks.

Redemptioner
25-06-2015, 12:14 PM
An expedition to Australia would involve other states too I believe, unless QLD IS Australia.. ;)

WA is a different country altogether, however!! :p:p

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Customs_Convention_on_the_Temporary_Importation_of _Private_Road_Vehicles
This does not specify technical requirements though.

Well it pretty much is the only place worth going in Australia bar maybe NT......

Tyvokka
25-06-2015, 01:14 PM
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k610/joyschtik/CA350920-627F-4EEA-8D37-27F0FD6836E0.gif (http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/joyschtik/media/CA350920-627F-4EEA-8D37-27F0FD6836E0.gif.html)

I know, I know.... :monkey: :D

Vince
28-06-2015, 07:26 AM
How long would you be here for, it would work out a lot cheaper to buy something here and sell when your finished.
Yes, I am thinking the same thing.

I did just that for my last Colorado trip, a 2-door XJ on 33" tyres with 4.5" lift.

UK registered vehicles are only allowed out of the country for 364 days. Technically it's a year but 364 days is guaranteed safe. Stay away to long and you automatically lose your registration and have to reimport your vehicle, pay import taxes, pass the BIVA test (UK engineering test), apply and pay for a new registration.

I usually abstain from UK wheeling trips for 2-years and use the money saved for the expedition. I try and get two 14 day trips at either end of a 10-month period at the destination. I rent a garage for storage or leave the Jeep with a friend. Usually allow a month for the sea crossing to USA from UK and another for the freight home. No idea how long the voyage is to Australia.

Vince
28-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Where in Wales? I lived and studied in Cardiff in the late 80s and no speed cameras on the motorway. Cardiff to London in 1:42 in my mates custom VW Golf GTI 2.2 Turbo. The Sierra Cosworth was the "it" car then.. :)
I live 10 miles south of Welshpool, about 100 metres from England.
Racing circuit track days are popular now. Speed cameras are everywhere!

I think I have some idea of the distances in Australia, probably not the remoteness. I've driven the whole way from Connecticut on the East Coast USA to Moab 2200 miles away in less than 5 days. 500+ miles per day, 8-12hrs of driving per day. That's been my longest single road trip with just sleep and fuel stops so far. I have driven lots of 500 to 700 mile single journeys mostly on improved roads but not that distance on just dirt tracks.

CJ6np435
28-06-2015, 08:54 AM
Get in contact with these guys, they tripped around oz in a lifted xj
http://www.xxxpedition.com,
There is a link to temp vehicle importation on their website

kj69
28-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Australia was the last place that XJ ever wheeled , it was parted out here after they finished with it .

Tyvokka
28-06-2015, 04:55 PM
I live 10 miles south of Welshpool, about 100 metres from England.
Racing circuit track days are popular now. Speed cameras are everywhere!

I think I have some idea of the distances in Australia, probably not the remoteness. I've driven the whole way from Connecticut on the East Coast USA to Moab 2200 miles away in less than 5 days. 500+ miles per day, 8-12hrs of driving per day. That's been my longest single road trip with just sleep and fuel stops so far. I have driven lots of 500 to 700 mile single journeys mostly on improved roads but not that distance on just dirt tracks.

Yep, here too..speed cams are everywhere now.

Driving in USA is easy, plenty of gas stops, etc.

I broke an axle at Pritchett Cyn, got out in 3 WD and fully repaired in about 2 hours by Steve Nantz at Moab 4x4 Outpost. Costed me $295 all up.
Not so here where parts could take a while. Tow & repairs are exxy too...

You may want to join a local club when they do their big cross country trips.

I second contacting XXXpedition Sven for more info.

the xj had to stay in australia...
well, after a lot of hesitation we decided to sell the truck down under. it had over 250k miles on it and after rolling it twice in the states its body took its beating. thousands of miles of corrugated road in oz didn't help. the roofrack broke through the gutter three times. although we welded it every time the roof separated completely from the rest of the body. due to this condition the rig was not going to survive the technical inspection it would have to go through in europe. therefore it wouldn't have been road worthy and couldn't have been registered. for this reason we thought it's not worth spending a lot of money to ship the vehicle around the globe..

PM me if you're coming to Sydney, we'll take you out and around the Blue Mountains, Central and South Coasts.. Show you around the colony a bit. :p

LeighP
29-06-2015, 06:33 AM
Visitors with foreign registered vehicles normally don't have issues here...as long as they're insured.
Proof of registration and that you comply in your own country should be sufficient. I've seen a number of foreign registered cars touring in Aus over the years.

djh13
29-06-2015, 08:35 AM
You are joking right. QLD is one of the strictest States for mods. I lived in Townsville for a while and got hassled for no mud flaps on stock 4x4.

Fruju
29-06-2015, 11:50 AM
Here is some info that might help you.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/temporary-imports-faqs.pdf

Tyvokka
06-07-2015, 11:54 AM
From Sven, xxxpedition. It's not 100% with current info but should be pretty close. It goes in the "too hard" basket for me, personally.

We found it quite difficult to find the below information so we have summarized it for your convenience. We hope this will be helpful!

This information was gathered by us through internet research, talking to several customs brokers and shipping agents, and through trial and error. We cannot guarantee that this information is 100% accurate and valid or applies to all countries and individual situations. Please verify all information before importation!

All contact information is listed at the end of the document.

A few general guidelines:
+ Your vehicle must remain registered outside Australia for the entire duration of your stay. If your registration expires while you are in Australia, make sure to make arrangements for a renewal. In the US, you can appoint a representative (relative or friend) by signing a Power of Attorney who can handle your affairs on your behalf.
+ If your vehicle is left-hand drive, you will not have to convert it to right-hand drive as long as you're not staying in the same state for more than 6 months. You will need to put up a "Left Hand Drive" sign if your vehicle weighs more than 4 metric tons.
+ You need Third Party Bodily Injury insurance so you can legally drive on Australian roads. This insurance will cover any medical expenses for other drivers if you caused the accident. We found NRMA, the New South Wales automotive association (located in the Central Business District of Sydney), to be the best source. If you also want the damages on their vehicle covered, get Third Party Property Damage insurance. This is available from Kings Cross Carmarket and Travellers Autobarn in Sydney.
+ All our research indicated that we would not be able to insure our own vehicle in Australia as nobody offers insurance for privately imported vehicles. However, a fellow traveler from Canada has advised us that he was able to get insurance for his car from the following source:
Ken Tame and Associates, phone: (03) 9853 5555.
They were required to belong to the CMCA (Campervan and Motorhome Club of Australia) in order to qualify for the insurance.
+ Travel insurance with medical coverage may be available through your health insurance at home.

To temporarily import your vehicle from the United States, you have two options:
1. Under a carnet de passage (won't pay customs duties and tax)
2. Without a carnet (paying customs duties and tax)

1. Carnet de passage
A carnet is basically a stack of documents that proves that you have temporarily imported the vehicle for private use for a limited period of time. Your intent is to export the vehicle at the end of your visit.
The procedure is roughly this:
- Contact a body with authority to issue a carnet (for example CAA).
- Establish the value of your vehicle and pay a financial security. This is usually 100% of the value of the vehicle and is a safeguard that you will export the vehicle. This security will be reimbursed to you after export.
- Once the vehicle has been imported to Australia, your customs agent will hand over the carnet documents to you. After you've exported the vehicle again, your agent will close out the carnet for you and you can reclaim the security.

Since the US is not a signatory for carnets, you have to go through the Canadian Automotive Association (CAA).

Most shippers have experience only with commercial carnets called ATA. The carnet you need is a CPD and cannot be procured by any US shippers, no matter what they tell you. We learned this the hard way when our shipper Rinkens dissuaded us from obtaining the carnet from CAA claiming that their own customs broker was very experienced. They screwed up the process and caused huge delays and additional expenses that negatively affected our trip. For that reason we have to strongly advice to stay away from Rinkens!

2. Without a carnet:
An alternative is to import your vehicle to Australia paying all customs duties and tax. This could be quite an expensive process but you will get the duties reimbursed when you export the vehicle within a certain time frame. You have to apply for a Temporary Vehicle Import Approval with Australian customs prior to shipping the vehicle; the current waiting time is approximately 20 days.
We don't have any personal experience with this process but have been told by AAA (see below) that the carnet is the preferred process.

The NRMA website is quite helpful to obtain a general overview:
http://www.mynrma.com.au/driving_overseas.asp
They recommend General Cargo (www.generalcargo.com.au) for shipping a vehicle to Australia. We found them to be very helpful and professional but can't say anything about their actual shipping services as we didn't use them. Another company that impressed us with their detailed knowledge is OBM (www.obmpl.com.au)

Some other helpful hints:
- If you need mail sent to you while you're on the road, use Poste Restante. Just notify the sender of the next major town with a post office that you will travel through. They may send your mail to your name, Poste Restante, city and postal (zip) code. You can pick it up with a picture ID at the main post office in said town.
- Most charges can be paid with credit cards such as Mastercard, Visa etc. However, some car insurances might require you have a credit card with a local bank.
- If you would like to open a bank account with an Australian bank, all you need is 2 picture IDs (eg driver license, passport) and a local mailing address. A Poste Restante address is fine. We had brought the last few statements from our US bank account but didn't need them. Currently, Commonwealth Bank has most ATMs and EFTPOS in Australia, followed by National Bank.

We have heard from fellow international travelers that cities other than Sydney have less strict import regulations. Obviously we don't have any personal experience but it's probably worth looking into.

Contact Information:
Kings Cross Carmarket: www.carmarket.com.au, Sydney 1800 808 188
Travellers Autobarn: travellersautobarn.com, Sydney 02 9360 1500
NRMA: www.nrma.com.au, Sydney 02-132 132
RL Felton (if you run into any problems with customs, they might be able to help you): www.felton.com.au, Sydney 02 8353 8700
CAA: www.caa.ca, Ottawa, 1800 267 8713
Commonwealth Bank: www.commbank.com.au
National Bank: www.national.com.au

Some useful links:
Automotive club: www.aaa.asn.au (lots of useful information about temporarily importing and registering your car)
Australian customs: www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

Vince
06-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. It has been very helpful.

I think I am leaning towards retiring my Jeep now and acquiring something locally in Australia for my trip. I guess I will need our Rellies to give us a hand with this aspect. I want to spend more time researching where I want to go than navigating bureaucracy.

Thanks again.

Tyvokka
06-07-2015, 08:02 PM
You can rely on some of the guys here too. Post up in the XJ section what you would like and maybe there will be one for sale and one that'll fit your requirements. The check and balances of who's fair here is pretty spot on.

All ze best

Tyvokka
22-07-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. It has been very helpful.

I think I am leaning towards retiring my Jeep now and acquiring something locally in Australia for my trip. I guess I will need our Rellies to give us a hand with this aspect. I want to spend more time researching where I want to go than navigating bureaucracy.

Thanks again.

Hey Vince,

You can shop around for built or semi built Jeeps on classified ads here, Jeep Action magazine, Gum Tree, eBay.

scruffa
30-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Mate I would definitely say you are way too tall to be legal in Australia. Most states have a 2" lift regulation. The only way you can go above that is with an engineering approval.

scruffa
30-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Vince, I would look at buying something locally. In regards to remoteness, you have come to the right country particularly if you are looking into Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia. This country is very large with a whole lot of no-one in between stops. To give you an indication to drive from Sydney to Perth you are looking at about 4200 km's. It took me and my dad 3 1/2 days of solid driving (up to 14 hours a day) to get there and that is with no sight seeing. I would recommend you look into a Toyota Landcruiser (GASP!! go all the Jeepers :P). I know I know, but there is a reason for this and that is, if you have any mechanical issues you have a much greater chance of getting parts and repairs done rather than getting stranded waiting for Jeep parts or finding a repairer. Toyota's are everywhere over here and even in the remote communities of the NT you can usually get the parts. A second point if you are going to do a lot of remote exploring a UHF radio is a must and a SAT phone or personal EPIRB also can come in very hand in case you have an emergency along with fan belts, hoses and tool kit. Also make sure you are stocked up on food and especially water, without it you won't last long if you are stranded particularly in the top end of WA. There have been a lot of unprepared people both local and tourists that have not come back because of this.
Anyway enough of the doom and gloom it is a beautiful big country, enjoy your stay and make the most of it.

P.S. Where it has a sign with a crocodile on it, believe it :)

chris0375
30-07-2015, 04:10 PM
I would recommend you look into a Toyota Landcruiser (GASP!! go all the Jeepers [emoji14]). I know I know, but there is a reason for this and that is, if you have any mechanical issues you have a much greater chance of getting parts and repairs done rather than getting stranded waiting for Jeep parts or finding a repairer. Toyota's are everywhere over here and even in the remote communities of the NT you can usually get the parts.

Very very true. Just about every single remote workshop will have parts for and experience with land cruisers. Will probably have bearings, fan belts, hoses etc hanging on the wall ready to go. Something like a na straight 6 troopy would be perfect. Good fuel range, no need to worry about a canopy etc. Acceptable economy on the highway.

Unfortunately good luck getting any Jeep parts outside major towns.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Tyvokka
30-07-2015, 05:00 PM
Where's the fun and adventure though? :D

I'll be doing my trips in the Jeep.

Tyvokka
22-08-2015, 05:42 AM
Humdingerslammer,

Let me chime in here... I have an 07 JKU Rubicon 3.8 from new with 178000 km on the clock. I have been all over Australia in it... Cape York, The gulf, Darwin and surrounds Gibb R Road, all over the Kimberley; the Gascoyne and Pilbara WA, Gary Junction Hwy, Rudall River Alice Springs and surrounds, Birdsville, Oodnadatta, Strzelecki Tracks and surrounds, the Nullarbor and SW WA etc etc dirt and bitumen. It has been absolutely reliable without any dramas on any of these trips. I have kept up preventative maintenance on it as for any vehicle, esp shocks, springs, front end. ball joints, track, tie rod, pitman arm etc and use MT tyres... no problems. I am not intending to sell it.

If u go into any garage outback, they r filled with broken down Toyotas, Nissans etc etc so the idea that these reliables don't break down is crap. To keep costs down I buy all my parts from USA, have them shipped to my front door usually within 10 days and the money I save on what I didn't pay here I use to pay the mechanic to fit the parts... and I still usually have some left over.

As a tourer... well it is noisy (it is basically a scaled down truck) but not that noisy, and it is not the smoothest of rides altho this improves a lot with a load in it. Also 100km/hr is fast enough in it. For me it has proved to have enough room. I took out the back seats and formed a shelf across here. I made some drawers and I have a fridge in the back. I also made a inner roof storage box. I use all the nooks and crannies and I have more than enough space for what I carry which includes spares of this and that. Just learn to carry what u need and fill up ay major centres as u go. We all take too much crap when we go camping.

A roof rack will be handy for light bulky things like a tent and a spare wheel. I think carry 2-3 jerry cans; so much cheaper than a long range tank. Unless u go really remote the OE tank and 3 jerries is enough. Fuel use is often better than for the other types of 4wd someone mentioned... I know this because the drivers at the petrol bowsers rant and rave about how much they use compared to the JKU... I kid u not!!!

My JKU is pretty much stock standard: 2 inch lift, HD springs and airbags on the rear.... works well. I do not have bull bars or a snorkel.

Recently I used 4x4 Solutions in Settlement Road Thomastown (Melb) and was impressed with them.

You can get info about my trips etc by searching for my posts etc in the menu bar above.

Hope this helps.

Hope this "proves" the ability of having Jeeps in the outback as many have done, not take to easiest way out and keep the Jeepin' spirit alive. The OP is a true Jeeper with world travel experience, surely if he'd wanted a Toyota, he'd get one already. :mrgreen:

scruffa
24-08-2015, 12:04 PM
I did not say anywhere in my post about the Toyota's, Nissan's etc don't break down. I merely stated that parts are easier to come by in the remote areas should you experience mechanical issues (see below).

"I would recommend you look into a Toyota Landcruiser (GASP!! go all the Jeepers :P). I know I know, but there is a reason for this and that is, if you have any mechanical issues you have a much greater chance of getting parts and repairs done rather than getting stranded waiting for Jeep parts or finding a repairer."

I am sure that Humdingerslammer had experienced no real problems with his vehicle because he/she maintains it so well and has had it from new. In saying this though would you be that confident if you just bought a 2nd hand vehicle that you could do the same trip with no issues?