PDA

View Full Version : doorless CJ7

jeepcj7
29-11-2016, 07:51 PM
JUST wondering if anyone knows whether it is legal to drive without doors in a CJ7? A local policeman seems to think not.

Shafus
30-11-2016, 04:48 AM
What state? I have no issue in Victoria. Just show them how the doors just lift off.

jeepcj7
02-12-2016, 10:28 AM
NSW. He made me go over the pits with the doors on. It did seem like he was having a bad day. But after that so did I.

Banshee
02-12-2016, 07:57 PM
I've got tube doors on my JK & police have never had a problem with them when I have spoken to them. (On an unrelated issue.)

OKA4wd
02-12-2016, 11:17 PM
did all cj7's come standard with doors pretty sure earlier models had them as a extra

Wooders
03-12-2016, 06:18 AM
Yes it is.
1. They were sold without doors in some case.
2. There is no side intrusion bars in any CJ door.
3. The hand book and various decals etc specify top & doors are for protection from the elenents only.
4. The entry heoght of the doors is above the amount required for intrusion bars (which I think was a latet rule anyhow).
5. Mirros are mounted onto the windshield
6. Door are INTENDED to be easily removed
That is case where this has been proven in NSW for TJ.
Cop is wrong and just being an Ahole.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Wooders
03-12-2016, 06:20 AM
Get it clear then go into the station he works a point it out cause otherwise he'll just book you or the next bloke he sees.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

OKA4wd
03-12-2016, 06:23 AM
I meant earlier model cj's like 5's & 6's, mini mokes & manx buggies also get around without doors.

Banshee
03-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Well, except for the soft ones when the top is on, Mokes don't HAVE doors!

OKA4wd
03-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Ive seen mokes with hard tops & doors but my point is they can drive without them. Got a cj6 without top or doors havent had any problem, also have a scrambler (around same era as cj7's) with doors so am interested to know the thoughts on this as I thought I wasnt allowed to drive around without them as they came standard with them, the cj6 didnt. Wooders put up some interesting comments about this. Just trying to add something that may help out the person asking

jeepcj7
03-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Yes I think going into the station is a good idea, don't want to be always thinking about this guy pulling me over. Love driving it without them.

After this happened I did check the Australian Design PDF. It stated that like Wooders said seated in your vehicle you must be 700 off the ground to not need side intrusion bars. Also whatever you can take off a vehicle without a tool is allowed to be removed or something like that.
Just cannot see anywhere that says specifically doors can be removed which makes me think there could be more to it.

The thing that makes me wonder is that he did not actually book me, just got me to get it sighted with doors over the pits.
Have been driving it without doors for many years and this is a first.

Just really wanted to see if anyone else has had an issue.
Thanks for responses

SteveT
03-12-2016, 09:38 PM
What part of NSW are you in??.... Was it in your local area that you were hassled in??.... The side intrusion bar law came into effect in 2004, all vehicles after that need door's on, that's why the JK's need tube doors fitted to them.....

Banshee
04-12-2016, 05:28 AM
Even JK doors do not have side intrusion bars, and as the 'R' point is over 700mm high they don't 'need' them.

Tube doors will do sweet FA to stop something coming in the side and have no possible side intrusion protection.