PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Blackhawk Question

Benspak
09-01-2017, 03:05 PM
Hi All, just bought a 2015 Cherokee Blackhawk from a dealer and was planning to head up to Bribie Island or maybe Straddie with it but keep getting told that I shouldn't put it on the beach.

The dealer told me it will be fine on the beach but don't do soft sand in it.

Can anyone let me know whether the family and I will be ok to do it or if we are going to be spending more time digging out?

Jimmyb
09-01-2017, 03:40 PM
So your being told essentially that you have just bought a 4wd but don't use it. You will be fine, follow the rules that apply to beach driving and you will be fine.

Air the tyres down, keep momentum up, park downhill, and try and go at low tide.

lujabe
09-01-2017, 06:29 PM
The Blackhawks don't have low range (unless I'm mistaken), so that is a limiting factor in deeper, soft sand - the engine and 4x4 system will work especially hard in boggy sand or over dunes. Doesn't mean keep off the beach, just be mindful of what you drive into.

Stick with what Jimmyb says. Familiarize yourself with how your traction control works - and how to switch it off! It tends to work against you in sand and hits the brakes just when you need momentum.

If you want some piece of mind, get yourself a pair of maxtrax - they can make light work of getting yourself going again should it come to that.

st_za
10-01-2017, 11:24 AM
You'll be absolutely fine on Bribie, especially an hour or two after high tide when the water pulls back and leaves a hard wet sand highway.

In my experience, the extra torque from low range will get you into trouble on the beach more than it will keep or get you out.

Most importantly, learn how to completely switch of the ESP/traction control for the beach.

It might be a good idea to first go with a local club to help you out or a day like this weekend's Murchison's customer beach on Bribie until you have more experience and confidence with the Jeep on the beach.

SeaComms
10-01-2017, 11:37 AM
I take my Trailhawk up Noosa North shore regularly and have discovered that in high range the rear diff overheats and you loose 4wd after around 20min of soft sand. I usually engage 4lo as soon as I hit the beach.

Last trip a few days ago we came back at a higher than I would usually travel tide and found myself in soft sand for most of the trip. It handled it perfectly in low range until I left the beach...

Went to disengage low range and was greeted with the 4wd system over heated warning. Had to wait half hour for it to cool down before it would allow me to DISENGAGE low range! For the record engine temp was at 89°C and transmission at 90°C. Unfortunately the temperature that kills it is the rear diff (clutch pack heating up) which there is no temperature monitoring system.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Benspak
10-01-2017, 05:49 PM
The scary part is that the Blackhawk doesn't have low range - just the dial to change to sand/mud mode.

This is what makes me wonder if its going to be able to do it or not.