PDA

View Full Version : Daily driving a CJ

scruff
30-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Just wondering if anyone on here daily drives a CJ?

If so how do you find it and how modified is your CJ?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gildo
30-01-2017, 07:48 PM
I did for about 12 years, a CJ8.
Strong arms and a sore arse.

scruff
30-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Haha sounds interesting

The Buzzcutter
30-01-2017, 08:39 PM
Snap! I drive a CJ8 most days to work. Factory aircon and power steering means it's no hardship

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah292/The_Buzzcutter/image_zpsdv3xsdcs.jpeg

Shafus
31-01-2017, 05:33 AM
Drove mine daily over my 3 week holidays instead of the usual work truck. Loved it but it is no way stock.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170130/4c561011a3e8676f102029b5edca79f5.jpg

scruff
31-01-2017, 10:40 AM
What suspension do you have?

Shafus
31-01-2017, 11:09 AM
What suspension do you have?

Scout Dana 44's front back
Shackle reversal front sua with 2inch lift springs, soa rear with stock springs and traction bar, custom shock mounts all round, 33 tyres.
Drives great

stevemcc
31-01-2017, 11:50 AM
I drive an 84 CJ7 to work every day - 4 inch lift gives plenty of views over the traffic in Brisbane. Gets a bit warm with no aircon but other than that no issues.

scruff
31-01-2017, 02:37 PM
So no real complaints which is good

I figure if the ride of the leafs are ok for a daily then maybe swap in some Yj springs and get some good shocks and should be ok

whollsee
31-01-2017, 06:17 PM
So no real complaints which is good

I figure if the ride of the leafs are ok for a daily then maybe swap in some Yj springs and get some good shocks and should be ok

Yep - did about 8 years daily in my 7. Half of those on OME YJ springs and towards the end of that with Bilstein 5100 shocks as well. The spring/shock upgrade is def worth it IMveryhumbleO. Driving fleet car at moment but would be back in the CJ without hesitation if that perk was taken away. Gonna depend on how far your commute is too I guess. Idle heavy traffic would not be your best fraend!

Gearloose
02-02-2017, 12:55 PM
I'm using my stock '81 CJ7 as a daily driver, but mostly for the health benefits...

It naturally enhances testosterone levels (and increases libido in women), I get arm and leg exercise from working out on the steering wheel and lack of a brake booster, I've developed ESP knowing that I have to start braking before I realise there's a reason because it doesn't have ABS and there are d***heads everywhere, it keeps me mentally active and helps prevent degenerative illnesses like Alzheimers because there aren't any alarm bells to remind me to close the door, release the handbrake, check my surroundings or put on my seatbelt before driving off, it improves overall confidence because I can actually get to where I want to go without a satnav/computer to do it for me, I have greater self esteem as people look in wonder when I drive past them (probably wondering who the old fart in that heap is), the suspension is like getting a full body massage (from a minor earth tremor), I have inner peace when parking in shopping centres knowing that anyone who backs into me will probably do $k's worth of damage to their car while the CJ may need a quick polish, ambient interior noise levels mean not having to listen to annoying passengers, annoying passengers who yell to be heard are usually much quieter once they realise there are no airbags between them and the solid steel dash, and good looks never go out of style (you'll always look sexier in a CJ).
So if you've got it, flaunt it.

I won't go into the negatives because I've only got a few Gb left on my account for the month, but needless to say, the running costs are generally a bit higher than the average disposable car.

scruff
02-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Classic!!

jeepben
02-02-2017, 06:39 PM
Well said sir

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Jeep Offroad mobile app