PDA

View Full Version : Jeep xj 85 Shutting down and and having trouble starting

W1skas
16-03-2017, 09:35 AM
New to the forum

Starting issue with my 95 xj seems to be getting worse it started out just doing it when it was hot so I just took it as the heat spake issue but it started getting worse and doing it with in about 10 min of driving. It starts to miss and then stalls and takes a bit to get going again. I'm positive it's an electrical problem as the car is duel fuel and does the same weather on lpg or petrol. I have just up graded the cooling system to help solve the heat soak issue

have replaced in the last 5000klm

fuel pump

fuel filter

spark plugs, leads, dizy cap and button

been reading a couple other posts with similar problems with regards to the crank senser the coil and possibly computer? The car has a after Mark immobiliser thinking I'll rip that out next.

Any more ideas would be great

Billnick
16-03-2017, 11:56 AM
It will be the crankshaft position sensor mounted on the bell housing on the passenger side. Cow to get to but its better if you drop the front of the drive shaft, saves dropping the bolts into the flywheel. If you are going DIY make sure you buy the right one, check first but yours ought to have round pins.(Later models have flat) DO NOT buy it from a dealer, they will rip you off. The other end of the scale is Rockauto in the USA, best prices even with shipping.
#1 will be the CPS
#2 will be the sensor in the dizzy, coil, or plugs and leads.
#3 10,000 other things. Way down the list will be the computer. If you start experiencing 'jeep things' you can do a re-boot by taking the battery lead off and hold the 2 leads together, then turn the headlights on and off to drain any residual current, then reconnect everything. Hope this helps.

W1skas
16-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Cheers I'll look into the crank sensor. is the sensor on the dizzy removable or will I need a whole dizzy

Billnick
16-03-2017, 12:53 PM
Removeable