PDA

View Full Version : "Why do Jeeps currently suck so much?"

bbbflash
05-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Did anyone else see this article in Unsealed4x4?

http://www.unsealed4x4.com.au/issue037/#63

Thoughts?

rustynuts
05-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Roothy likes em.
Here you go all you Grand Cherokee owners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coPWMQQPGVM

dukeh1962
05-06-2017, 08:49 PM
Hate 'em or love 'em, seems no in between for JEEP.

Sahara Stu
05-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Yeah, read it this morning.
The article didn't exactly match up to the title.

lujabe
06-06-2017, 07:24 AM
Yeah, read it this morning.
The article didn't exactly match up to the title.

Not sure I'd quite say that Jeeps suck, but owning a new one does...

You've essentially bought a project car, and will spend the next couple of years trying to figure out what's wrong with it and what the fix is, with bugger all support or interest from the dealerships. The 5 year warranty won't make that any easier.

People who buy new vehicles do not expect 'project cars'. That's pretty much the crux of it, I think. I really like the vehicle, but had I known it was going to have one fault or another unresolved for 2 of the first 2.5 years, I'd have bought something else. I can't recommend them to anybody and I probably won't buy another.

Nanook
06-06-2017, 07:53 AM
I agree with Sahara Stu, the title doesn't match the article.

I read it a week or so ago. They aren't rubbishing Jeeps but putting forward some good points on why Jeep sales have dropped.

trev65
06-06-2017, 06:38 PM
It's a crap piece that again "generalises" about jeeps. What was it that he said "search Jeep and you get 70 recalls". If he had a comparison with "Toyota or any other manufacturer" for the same time and all their models, it might be of value to someone for comparison. No, instead it only helps to try and "Brand beat" for the sake of trying to make a good story.:wall:

:)Roothy's story as attached by "rustynuts" about "ACTUALLY" trying a Jeep in real world are factual and as most of us Jeeps owners know, they are a brilliant vehicle. Yes some have some problems but that is the same with any brand.

Nissan NP300 dual cabs have been folding in half! that hasn't made the headlines, yet a vanity mirror light "may possibly" have a fault and Jeeps hit the headlines. :rolleyes:

My 2015 Overland has only had a loose clamp and the fast fan after the tyranny recall that wasn't a recall-numbnutts who cant put a car in park. No long trips yet but it's been along the Holland Track, thru the Hills in WA and along beaches and doesn't get troubled.

Crap story that we have all heard before. Writer must be out of material for anything decent.

SJetc
08-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Not sure I'd quite say that Jeeps suck, but owning a new one does...

I've had the complete opposite of your experience Lujabe. Nearly 3 years in and the KL Limited has been perfect. Mechanically and electronically excellent. Not even a single rattle or squeak (which is quite amazing given the state of our driveway from the road up to the house which looks like a goat-track with large ruts and corrugations in some parts).

It's a shame you've had a bad experience with yours. :(

lujabe
08-06-2017, 04:29 PM
I've had the complete opposite of your experience Lujabe. Nearly 3 years in and the KL Limited has been perfect. Mechanically and electronically excellent. Not even a single rattle or squeak (which is quite amazing given the state of our driveway from the road up to the house which looks like a goat-track with large ruts and corrugations in some parts).

It's a shame you've had a bad experience with yours. :(

As I said, I like the vehicle - but it's had a few minor issues that the dealerships have been beyond poor when it comes to sorting out. Unfortunately, every dealership in Melbourne within an hour of me is part of the same group - and I've found the service and attitude of the service departments at 3 of their dealerships pretty atrocious. I've lost track of how much of my time has been wasted because they couldn't be stuffed looking at the thing properly, or because they order the wrong parts, or forget to order them altogether, or don't refer to their own service bulletins (unless I print them off and hand to them)...

I'd buy another Jeep if I had any confidence in the after sales support in my area, but unless there's a dramatic change in the next couple of years, I'll be shopping for a different brand once this ones lease is up.

bbbflash
12-06-2017, 09:34 AM
It's a crap piece that again "generalises" about jeeps. What was it that he said "search Jeep and you get 70 recalls". If he had a comparison with "Toyota or any other manufacturer" for the same time and all their models, it might be of value to someone for comparison. No, instead it only helps to try and "Brand beat" for the sake of trying to make a good story.:wall:

:)Roothy's story as attached by "rustynuts" about "ACTUALLY" trying a Jeep in real world are factual and as most of us Jeeps owners know, they are a brilliant vehicle. Yes some have some problems but that is the same with any brand.

Nissan NP300 dual cabs have been folding in half! that hasn't made the headlines, yet a vanity mirror light "may possibly" have a fault and Jeeps hit the headlines. :rolleyes:

My 2015 Overland has only had a loose clamp and the fast fan after the tyranny recall that wasn't a recall-numbnutts who cant put a car in park. No long trips yet but it's been along the Holland Track, thru the Hills in WA and along beaches and doesn't get troubled.

Crap story that we have all heard before. Writer must be out of material for anything decent.

That was my issue as well. You get 8 pages of results following the same method they use. They neglect to mention that that covers "anything" that includes "jeep" anywhere in the text. Guess what Fisher Price has a recall and it mentions jeep along with their other toys. By that same methodology, Toyotas must suck 3 times as much as it returns 22 pages. Same issues as with Jeep, it's anything with "Toyota" in the text.

They also compare the sales figures between the parado and the grand Cherokee in text, but then only show sales for jeep models. One would think that if the dollar is a major issue for a slump in sales, of course it is going to affect all models,but show me the comparison between the grand Cherokee and the parado!
It is funny how they slam the grand Cherokee and then 4x4 Australia's cover photo is a grand Cherokee. I like the mag, but this is a poorly written article.

Classic Boy
16-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Now I know this is probably going to offend other forum users but Jeeps are not very reliable. I fix a lot of modern makes but the jeeps always surprise me on the way they develop regular and expensive problems.

My Daughters WG which was purchased at 177,000kms has had the following litany of failures and it is now only just going through 300,000kms.
1) Clockspring failure,
2) Headlights crazed over needing polishing and ultimately replacement.
3 Front drivers door electric window motor failure,
4) The front passenger door electric window motor failure,
5) Front handbrake cable failure, then later the handbrake warning light switch on the lever breaking, causing no telltale warning of the handbrake being left on.
6) Factory CD player failing,
7) Wire breaking in drivers door loom sending the Body computer into a spin,
8) Wireless door locking and alarm arming stops working.
9)After being fixed another wire broke in the drivers door loom again sending the body computer into melt down.
10) Crank shaft sensor random failure, with no codes,
11) One coil in the coil pack failure, requiring full replacement.
12) Camshaft sensor drive bearing failure,
13) TPS require cleaning to stop random stalling,
14) Engine electric fan control module failing causing the fan to stay on and the battery to run flat.
15) Cabin fan speed resistor block failed, on high fan speed.
16) Water pump gasket started leaking had to be replaced, then the thermostat housing started leaking.
17) On a 38 degree day the body management computer locked up shutting of the Aircond and stopping the now fixed front electric windows from opening, turning the vehicle into a mobile sauna.
18)Auto trans output sensor failure multiple times put trans in limp home, eventually fixed by re-wiring the connector.
19) Power steering box jamming preventing full lock in one direction.
20) Rear shocker failure.
21) Rear sway bar link bushing failure.
22) Supposedly no-maintenance required life long fuel filter blocked up at around 190,000kms.
23) Oh and the O2 sensor drifting in calibration causing higher than necessary fuel consumption, which was replaced.

These are the ones I can think of at the moment, there has been more issues but at the moment I cannot recall them.

Now if I didn't fix it for her it would have been junked or traded years ago.

I have 3 parts WG grandies in my yard 2 with broken 4.7L v8's and one has 135,000kms in total the other 154,000kms in total, hardly a advert for reliable robust engines.

By comparison my wife drives a 9 year old KIA Optima she purchased new and it does 35,000kms commuting every year the car is now at 300,000kms and it has only required regular log bock servicing and a new passenger sun-visor which was replaced under warranty, no other attention required, nothing else, nada, nicht.

Never once let her down and only had 3 sets of tyres including the original set and one battery in that time.