PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brakes on an AMC20

AussieCJ7
06-07-2002, 08:24 PM
Has anyone in AUS done this before ?

If so what donor parts did they use and how much work did it turn out to be ?

OzJeeper
07-07-2002, 08:12 AM
Seen this done on a Dana 60 FSJ. If you may remember Gary Thompsons 2 door FSJ from Tuff Truck, he has done this and he is a local.
Ford disks (again - as in a TJ convert)
Not sure about a AMC 20. Will investigate and get back to ya. Gimme a day or two..... :rolleyes:

AussieCJ7
07-07-2002, 10:15 AM
Thanks Oz Jeeper

I was looking at Go Jeeps write up and it got me thinking if it can be done to a amc20 and if anyone has already done it

Wooders
07-07-2002, 09:06 PM
Eventually I want to convert the Front & rear of my CJ5 to discs - but give it's current state & list on the proirity queue - it will be a while ;)
Dave I'm sure it can be done on the AMC20 - but don't recall anyone doing it....

Dorzun
07-07-2002, 10:49 PM
Dave,

I am considering it and in the middle of researching what can be done.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

Jonesy
07-07-2002, 11:35 PM
Warn make a kit ..mind u probably big bucks :rolleyes:

Gojeep
08-07-2002, 05:09 AM
The only thing that you would have to do extra is re-drill the stud pattern with the Ford 5 on 4.5" pcd ( same as XJ-TJ ) but the CJ's run 5 on 5.5" pcd. same as Ford F100 and Bronco.

I will look to see if one of their disks can be used as I have already checked the Jeep disks from the CJ's and they are too big in diameter.
When you use a different axle you will have to work out the distance from the front face of the housing flange ( what the old drum backing plate bolts too ) to the front face of the axle flange which holds the wheel studs. A Ford EA is 57 mm and XF is 52 mm and Dana 35c is 67 mm. Now you can see why I used a 10 mm spacer to keep the caliper central over the disk. If you use another rotor then you will have to take into account the rotor offset difference as well.

Let me know if I can help at all.

AussieCJ7
09-07-2002, 03:09 AM
Thanks Go Jeep

The 5 on 5.5 stud pattern could be a problem to get around

Will F100 disks work with the EA calipers ?

Gojeep
09-07-2002, 06:14 AM
It wont work with the EA caliper as the vented disks are too thick but the XF calipers which have the bolt on bracket on the rear as well are for vented and would fit over.
What I am trying to find out is the overall diameter compared to the XF disk and the offset. The problem so far has been that the XF is 286 mm verses the CJ's 298 mm. You would have to offset the bracket by drilling the mounting holes 6 mm ( half the difference ) toward the centre of the caliper to move the caliper over to clear the larger CJ disk. This could be done and would be still strong enough. I was just hoping that maybe a F100 or Bronco might be even closer in size to the XF disk but doubt it.

Gojeep
09-07-2002, 06:35 AM
I just did some research and the front vented disks off a Vitara 4 door Estate LWB has the right stud pattern and is only 2 mm thicker than the EA disk even though it is vented and only 1 mm bigger in diameter. :D The DBA part number for these is DBA 514.
All I would need to know from you is the diameter of the centre hub that your drum slides over and the distance from the front face of the axle housing flange to the front face of the axle flange as desribed above. If you measure that for me I can work out what thickness the spacer would need to be if one is needed. The rest would be exactly the same as I show on my site as well as the parts you need to buy except you would use the Vitara rotors instead of the EA. tongue.gif

AussieCJ7
10-07-2002, 09:31 AM
Go Jeep you are a ledgend :eek: :eek:

how do u work this all out

Now what do I have to measure exactly ?

Can it be done with the wheels still on ? or do I need to remove the drums ?

dxj
10-07-2002, 09:03 PM
Repeat after me

"Marcus is a legend,
He never sleeps" :D :D

Gojeep
11-07-2002, 06:42 AM
Gee thanks guys :D I'm really earning my 'stars' now.
I have alot of the specs on the different rotors and I used to work as a brake machnic for a short time.
You will have to remove your drums so you can measure from the axle flange on the side that the drum were against to where the drum backing plate bolts on. Then take off the thickness of that backing plate so I know the total distance to the flange on the axle housing that the backing plate bolted too.

Gojeep
13-07-2002, 05:25 AM
Also dont forget to measure the diameter of the axle housing as this determines the centre hole size of the spacer. I am looking to find a diagram of your axle setup so i can see if nothing will interfere with the conversion. If you have one already post it my way. smile.gif

paz
13-07-2002, 11:07 PM
another option is suzuki seirra,,daihatsu scat and of course the f100,,i will be doing this very soon on my jeeps,,,all will be soon 4 wheel disc..
paz

AussieCJ7
14-07-2002, 03:01 AM
mmmhh could take me some time to get the measurments

Paz do u have a amc 20 there that you can measure ?

maybe TW can help out as if we get this working he can offer it as a product ?? I understand if u dont want to measure this Tony smile.gif

paz
16-07-2002, 07:37 AM
nah sorry mate,,,i dont have one here,,but i might get a look at one of my mates in the next couple of days if it would help...
paz

Gojeep
19-07-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by paz:
another option is suzuki seirra,,daihatsu scat and of course the f100,,i will be doing this very soon on my jeeps,,,all will be soon 4 wheel disc..
paz<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I had already checked all those but they dont offer the bolt on calpier bracket and were the wrong sized disks to use with the EA caliper and brackets.
It would only take less than 10 minutes to whip one wheel off and the drum and take the measurements! :rolleyes:

paz
21-07-2002, 07:36 AM
aahhhhh,,,,i'm not really worried about bolt on..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

AussieCJ7
21-07-2002, 09:24 PM
I aggree Go Jeep it is slack of me.

here are the feable exusses

I live in a unit block so everything is a little harder to do

Wife just had a baby 6 weeks ago so 10min is next to impossible to find

If anyone else can help out please chime in not I will try to get the measurements as soon as I can

Gojeep
22-07-2002, 05:05 AM
Dont worry about it and as a Father I know what you are up against and it doesn't worry me if it takes a while as it only for you I was trying to do it. tongue.gif

Dorzun
23-07-2002, 09:11 PM
I'll get in under mine in the next few days and measure it up.

Gojeep
25-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by CJ Brad:
I'll get in under mine in the next few days and measure it up.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Brad, if you can I would really like some pictures so I can see how that bearing retainer bracket sits to see if we can bolt over the top of it or not! :)I would also need to know the thickness of it as it would needed to be included in centring the caliper bracket over the rotor.

AussieCJ7
25-07-2002, 11:51 PM
here is a link that may give you some of the info u need

amc20 (http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/amc20.html)

Dorzun
26-07-2002, 12:42 PM
Will get some pics too. was going to do it last night then I heard that it was supposed to get down to -12 here in canberra so I decided to crack a bottle of red and sat in front of the heater and watch some Jeep vids instead.

Gojeep
29-07-2002, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by AussieCJ7:
here is a link that may give you some of the info u need

amc20 (http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/amc20.html)<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Took a look at that but no info on bearing plate etc.

Gojeep
29-11-2002, 04:57 AM
I just had Micheal come over with his CJ8 Overlander Laredo and I pulled off his drum so I could get the measurements I needed for you.
Taking into account the differences in how much the axle sticks out and the different offset of the Vitara disks ( DBA 514. ) it turned out that no spacer is needed at all. graemlins/spinrhead.gif Even the centre hole in the disk will slide right over and all. From what I can see the caliper bracket will replace the drum backing plate and spacer and bolt in it's place. The only thing I was not able to measure was the thickness of the caliper bracket but think it was 7 mm thick which would mean it would all work out to the mm. graemlins/beerchug.gif

So far so good and even the stock handbrake cables could possibly be used if you hook them up the same as DXJ did with his.

Just thought I would let you all know. graemlins/rock.gif

OzJeeper
29-11-2002, 07:29 AM
There ya go - I always thought the CJ8 ran 44's front and rear....and the AMC 20 was a Cherokee axle only....learn sumfink every day... graemlins/headspin.gif

Gojeep
01-12-2002, 04:58 AM
My CJ7 ran a AMC20 as well until I screwed the axle with that dumb key setup that they have. Put a shorted Ford 9" out of a F100 under it after that to handle the 351w V8. tongue.gif

OzJeeper
01-12-2002, 09:58 PM
I remember a friend "doing" his back hubs - tapered spline and nut on a CJ7 Levis Edition.

Got out the oxy and heated the hubs. Placed 'em on the axle and gave them a thumping with a sledge to (as he said) "seat them well".

The retainer nut was applied with a quality socket and a 2 mtr long strongarm spanner.

Hubs never moved.... :eek:

This the AMC 20 setup we are refering to?????

Gojeep
03-12-2002, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by OzJeeper:
I remember a friend "doing" his back hubs - tapered spline and nut on a CJ7 Levis Edition.

Got out the oxy and heated the hubs. Placed 'em on the axle and gave them a thumping with a sledge to (as he said) "seat them well".

The retainer nut was applied with a quality socket and a 2 mtr long strongarm spanner.

Hubs never moved.... :eek:

This the AMC 20 setup we are refering to?????<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">They are the very same ones :rolleyes:

Gildo
09-12-2002, 11:27 AM
Had a chat with Steve morrison at the JOCV Christmas bash, he runs rear discs on his CJ7, and although he has rebuilt the whole rear end, he used Vitara rotors and Suburu calipers. From what he told me it was a major muck around to mount the calipers he fabbed brackets to get it all to fit right. The Vitara Rotors also needed to be drilled out for the 1/2 inch wheel studs.
Once the Visa card recovers from the Christmas Flogging, this is next on the list.
Thanks for all the advice so far Marcus, Ill keep you and the board up to date.

Gojeep
10-12-2002, 04:01 AM
What I like about the EA calipers over Subaru's ones is that it made for a heavy car the same weight as the Jeep and then some as well as a drum replacement which saves master swapping. The brackets that bolt on are just so much better too.
Good point on the studs. I take it that the stock Vitra ones would be 12 mm ones like a lot of Japan ones. It would be easy to open them up the extra .7 of a mm.

Gildo
15-04-2003, 12:52 PM
Thought Id revive this thread, any further progress from anyone else?

MC4X4
15-04-2003, 08:37 PM
Ford explorer disc brakes,they dont work on tj dana 44s because the beating is smaller and they have made the stud pattern different..they bolt up on cjs ,you just need to change the stud pattern on the disc.I run them on my cj and they work realy well.MC

MC4X4
15-04-2003, 08:44 PM
I will start again .Ford explorer brakes will bolt onto an amc 20 axle anad a cj dana 44 axle.You just have to change the stud pattern on the disc and maybe enlarge the cetre hole for the 2pc axles.They wont bolt onto a tj dana 44 because they run a smaller bearing and the mount up stud pattern is different.MC