PDA

View Full Version : Re-useing axle bolts?

Wooders
11-08-2003, 07:41 PM
FSM saying in big bold text not to reuse the stcok bolts for retaining the rear axle.....
I suppose general concenus suspports this?
Are there suitable aftermarket (or hardware store) bolts or do I need the factory ones?
Bugger I was hoping to reassemble the bastard tonight :evil:

murray
11-08-2003, 09:01 PM
i always use cat bolts metric are grade 10.8 imperial are grade 8 and grade 12
priced reasonble and big range

Kramer
12-08-2003, 12:30 PM
I re-used mine when doing the AAL.

If you're worried, you can het high tensile U-bolts of every size from.....don't laugh...... a trailer place.

Just bring one of the oldies and they'll match it.

HTH. Kramer

Wooders
12-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Kramer,

Ubolts?
I can't see how they would work :?:

Kramer
12-08-2003, 12:49 PM
We must be talking about different things.

I meant the U-bolts that hold the rear axle to the leaf pack. There is enough thread on the stock U-bolts to accommodate the AAL without any trouble.

Wooders
12-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Ops soory Kramer I should have been more clear.

It's on my TJ (ie coils), and it's the retaining bolts which hold the semi-floating axle shaft inside the axle tube/housing which I'm referring to....Ie if these bolts break - my axle shaft, drum & wheel depart company with the rest of the vehicle....guess that's why they say not to reuse 'em huh ;)

Kramer
12-08-2003, 03:56 PM
LOL - no idea with the coils-sprung TJ mate.

Your thinking sounds fine tho, I wouldn't do it myself. A bolt place would be the go.

Laz
12-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Wooders,

I've lost the right hand side bolts on the rear of a previous car - HX Statesman - after I "Kissed" a gutter, after having a "Chat" with the diff dude, he said - given those four little suckers (bolts) hold the axle in (via retaining plate), thier pretty cheap insurance to replace when you have had an side impact on the axle.

Made sense to me ;)

Wooders
12-08-2003, 06:43 PM
Well to answer my own question and FYI....after speaking to a few Jeep dealerships, and a few shops - it seems that generally the bolts ARE reused. Infact Linquip (parramatta & Burwood Jeeps) have only sold 6 bolts (theres 4 in a set) and that includes internal usage :shock:
Chatswood have used 0 :shock:
So what I'm going to do is reuse since they are in good cond - but I'm also going to buy a set of ¾" Grade 8 bolts, nip a flat bit so they fit nice and fit em up next time I'm in there - eg doing brakes etc.....
Funny thing was the Jeep dealers didn't believe me - and when I quoted the FSM - they said nah it's probably different for the US...But they didn't accept my challenge for them to check the FSM either :?
Now who's having a dig at the backyard DIYer huh :wink:

TW.
13-08-2003, 05:42 PM
did you sort out that crusty old axle wooders? like I told you it was news to me they are meant to be changed, we re use them on the same rear end off a 78 model D44. unles they have had some mammoth get off there going to be fine.

Steve
13-08-2003, 07:20 PM
Funny thing was the Jeep dealers didn't believe me - and when I quoted the FSM - they said nah it's probably different for the US

Yeah I've found they last alot longer in the Northern Hemisphere! :roll: That's a good trick for dealers to pull on a Jeeper when they don't have an answer. Pity they don't always know that the guy/girl on the other end of the phone might know 10 times more about Jeeps than they do!