PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know??

pommy
19-08-2003, 02:17 PM
Does anybody know why my copy of the FSM (which I pinched off a website) recommends using silicone dielectric grease on the TJ brake caliper mounting bolts and bushes?

I couldn't find any of this stuff near me and couldn't think of any sensible reason for using it so I just used good ol' rubber grease (which says "suitable for brake calipers" on the tube).

Will my brakes fall apart? :shock:

Please let me know if there is any reason for using the silicone stuff . . .

Kramer
19-08-2003, 05:13 PM
The silicone based stuff is rated for very high temperatures (i.e. friction heat during braking).

Rubber grease doesn't hold up in heat at all. It carbonises and becomes like glue under heat and causes the caliper guides to stick after a while (dangerous - you will then need to "pump" the brake to get it to work for you).

Repco sell High temp silicone grease especially for brakes. Give the bushes and guides a good clean-up first to get rid of the other stuff first.

HTH

Kramer.

pommy
19-08-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks Kramer - I'll keep my eye on the state of the grease . .

I went to Repco in Indooroopilly but they didn't have any silicone grease - the best they could do (other than the rubber grease that I ended up getting) was some synthetic grease which cost $38 for a 100ml tube (Geeez) :roll:

big red beast
19-08-2003, 06:45 PM
a good grease to use is marine grease - i know BP has one used for high temps and wheel bearings
its a top idea for 4wding as it's properties are done in such a way that it is much more water resistent - heaps good for 4wding.

Grant
19-08-2003, 08:02 PM
I use OME marine grease (bloody expensive though)

TJPete
20-08-2003, 09:15 AM
Mr Kramer's response is 100% correct.

Do not use rubber grease in this application as it WILL NOT withsand the temperatures incurred in this application. It will carbonise rapidly and instead of providing lubrication it will form a carbon based deposit that has the potential for disastrous results.

HiTemp Silicon based grease for this application is readily available from PM Lubricants Australia or any reputable brake component supplier near you.

pommy
20-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys,

Turns out that Repco do have silicone grease - just the sales reps don't know it - they assured me they didn't have any but I found some on the shelf this morning. :roll:

Kramer
20-08-2003, 12:27 PM
Well there you go, all's well that ends well.

Cheers,

Kramer