PDA

View Full Version : Auto Vent Idea

DIY
03-09-2003, 03:57 PM
I want 2 vent my auto on my 97 TJ , but sinse it is in good working order i dont want 2 pull it apart so this is what i was thinking:

I remove the tranny, drill & tap the side or top of the bell housing 2 run the vent line.Then when i put the tranny back in run a bead of silicone around the face off the bell housing where it meets the back of the engine as well as the inspection plate . This should then seal it all up and prevent water from entering. What do u think :D ????

All coments would b greatly appreciated. Thanks

(Would drill, tap and plug a small hole in the bottom of the bell housing just so i could take it out and c if any water or oil comes out when servicing as well)

Gojeep
03-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Are you talking about a Cherokee auto I presume?
They are already vented and it terminate at the back of the bellhousing with an open metal pipe at the end. I pulled mine off there and extended it to the top of the firewall like my diffs, transfercase and distributor with a fuel filter on top. There is a shot of it on my site!
There is not need to seal the bellhousing area at all on a automatic that you are talking about :?

DIY
03-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Nar sorry its a 97 TJ 3 speed and they are vented behind the torque converter i am lead 2 beleave

Steve
03-09-2003, 07:10 PM
DIY keep me informed on what you do as I also have a 97 Auto. But I have been through mud and water in Mornington over the past 5 years and haven't had any trouble yet. Maybe just lucky?

DIY
03-09-2003, 07:34 PM
Will do Steve, iv been through a few rivers (water just below my rockers) with no water getting in, but ever time i do i get real worried and i am always stopping and checking the dip stick. Would b nice just 2 drive through and not worrie weather that last creeking crossing has just cost u a $2000 tranny rebuild or not. :cry: :cry: