PDA

View Full Version : Almost Engineered...

mattc
17-09-2003, 01:00 AM
Took my engineers report to the ACT RTA for inspection today.

Lift, tyres, wheels, arms etc all ok.

No need for the 'spray supressors' the engineer told me to fit to the side of the flares. That gap is not that big that they would worry about excessive spray so they said it is ok to take them off - very ugly anyway.

No need for the winch fairlead roller cover the engineer told me to make. The rollers are round enough for them but they said hook to winch cable end to the eyelets under the bull bar rather than try and let it sit snug against the rollers.

BUT - they didn't accept my stat dec that I had changed my speedo drive gear and measured against my GPS - I need a calibration certificate from a proper tester. I'm booked in at the shop that calibrate Taxi meters on Friday. Once the RTA have a copy of that I'm legal! Woohoo! :)

oscar_the_grouch
17-09-2003, 01:03 AM
Matt if ya don't mind how much has it cost you so far...do you ACT boys have to get a swerve test ???

Ando_13
17-09-2003, 08:10 AM
How much lift and what tyre/wheel combo you running??

Buddha
17-09-2003, 10:55 AM
Oscar, had my engineers done on the XJ and was $550 to get him to look at it and then jumped to $770 :shock: when he told me i needed to do the swerve test at the dragway.Not a bad price hike for only 10 minutes at the dragway.
In the end it costed me about $1700 to get all the little things fixed up to where Rego was happy.

oscar_the_grouch
17-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Buddha can u give more details on the swerve test ie. how far apart waas the cones ?, what grade cornering was it ?, speed ? etc....thanx

Buddha
17-09-2003, 11:19 AM
The engineer seperated the cones as if you were changing from lane to lane,

1 1
1 1
1 1

1 1
1 1
1 1

1 1
1 1
1 1

sort of lihe this if it works.Had the xj fully laden with an extra 300 kilos(sand bags) and did it also without the sand bags.

Starting speed was 70 , 80 , 90 , 100 , and 110kpm.
He doesnt sit in the jeep with you cause he is watching for body roll, so you can bullshit about your actual speed, but i didnt :wink: .

Just seen my lanes arnt gonna work properly so imaging the middle lane is off to the right and your zig zagn through.

mattc
17-09-2003, 08:06 PM
My mods
======
Major mods... 3" coil lift, lower flex arms, 33x10.5 tyres on 15x7 rims with 3.75 bs, dual detroits, ratios
Other mods listed on the engineering report....shocks, bbar, snorkel, roof rack, towbar
In the ACT apparently they like ALL mods listed at the time of the engineering report whether they need engineering or not.

The Engineers test
============
Like Buddha, I had to do a lane change test (at the old Canberra dragway) at 60,80,100 but only unladen since my lift was not that high. Plus I had to drive in circles to show the auto diff locks are in fact auto! Plus a braking test.
For the lane change, imagine someone has stopped in your lane and you have to swerve around them a tthe last moment and then back again.
He also did a visual inspection and took a bunch of digital photos.

The cost
======
$700 for the engineers report (he must have like me more than you Buddha :) ) which included the track testing
$100 for rubber flare extensions
$30 or so for some giant rear mudflaps courtesy of Clark Rubber
$16 for a Tare Weight report from the weigh bridge at the local tip
$ ??? for a Speedo Calibration certificate
$ free for the RTA inspection
$ 10 for some rubber strip to make spray suppressors which I don't need now

oscar_the_grouch
17-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Matt what are spray supressors???...pardon my ignorance **)

mattc
17-09-2003, 08:27 PM
You know those eyelash looking things you see in the wheel arches of semi-trailers to keep in the spray when driving in the wet ? Well the eyelashs are about $40 a meter. The engineer suggested just using a 10cm wide strip of rubber instead. I did this but then the RTA said the gap between the top of my tyres and the flares is not so big as to require them anyway and they said I could take them off.

Jeff
17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
got any pics?

man, that must have been purty looking!

MattW
18-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Hey Oscar i think there would be quite a few WA guys interested in doing the lane change test so it could be good to do a group thing. Maybe even find some straight road somewhere (out of the way) and simulate it to find out our chances of passing.

mattc
19-09-2003, 11:06 PM
OK all done now.

Add another $125 for a speedo calibration certificate. Went back to the RTA today and got the 'pass' stamp.

Funny thing is, I was driving home from work today just after 5.30 and the mobile RTA inspection was setup on the OTHER side of the road :)

Trent
20-09-2003, 01:44 PM
Good idea for you lifted guys MattW, i rekon a nice, flat, straight road is the Mining road out at Gnangarra :mrgreen: