PDA

View Full Version : Snatching and chain

Steve F
18-09-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi All,

Is it safe to include a piece of chain from the snatch strap to a tow hook when snatching. Appart from the obvious increase of metal parts that could fail and fly around are there any other reason not to use this such as vehicle damage from the chain jerking etc

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
18-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Using a chain to spread the load between two points (& the one vehicle) is not an uncommon nor unsafe practise.
The important part of a snatch recovery is the ability of the strap to strectch. The chain should NOT have any adverse effect in this case.
The same could be said if using the chain to lengthen the "strap" length - HOWEVER I do NOT feel it is a safe practice becuase there are other straps that are better suited for this purpose. ie either another snatch strap, a winch extension strap or even a tree protector. It's all about reducing the amount of heavy weight in the recovery link.....
Just my 2¢....

Steve F
18-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Im actually looking at puting in about 3-5 links of chain from my tow hook (now on the rear drivers side of an XJ) to keep the strap away from the exhaust if it looks like it's going to be a problem. I got a mate to cut my existing bracket, flip it and weld it so it can mount using the same holes and nutserts but now on the drivers side, this was to clear my tyre carrier (went on on the weekend).

So basically I'm planning on a small number of links to keep the weight down and only if it looks like the strap will be too close to the exhaust for comfort.

Cheers
Steve

big red beast
18-09-2003, 10:47 PM
if your going to do that, i really cant see harm in it, but i would use a higher rating chain than the strap just to be safe, it will cost you all of $10 for a 10 tonne chain that length.

i dont like the sound of you cutting and welding the recovery point tho, im not sure what you've actually done so i cant comment further but just make sure its safe!

murray
19-09-2003, 12:26 AM
guys please stop and think if you must do this sort of thing use a alloy type chain
by this i mean alloy steel such as herc alloy
they make a full range of attaching hardware suggest using hammer locks to attach chain to tow point.
also how was bracket welded was it fully preped and correct ly welded
these days if you did something like this and it fails and someone gets hurt
then who ever did it will be in deep noooaah :)

Jeeps
19-09-2003, 12:53 AM
What about one of those chains from ARB & TJM? Y'know the ones in the bucket?

big red beast
19-09-2003, 08:50 AM
those ones that come in the bucket are drag chains usially rated at about 3.5 tonne.
to split between my 2 tow points i use a 4tonne chain covered in a rubber bike tube in order not to stuff my strap.

OH IMPOORTANT REMEMBER to use draging chain not lifting chain!!!!

if i was to do this extending my strap with a chain, i would go to a hoisting place, and ask for drag chain, personally i would go for 8 tonne or so. there is a place at peakhurst that has an ad in the trading post each week that is a hoisting place that knows 4wding gear like no body else. this is where i get alot of my stuff from.

big red beast
19-09-2003, 08:53 AM
to find the place at peakhurst, on boundary road turn into the street where MIDAS is and its in the complex all the way down the end. within the complex its next to COBACRAFT - yes these are the guys that build the ultimate sports car, the 427 COBRA (its so fun to have a look)

Steve F
19-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Thanks guys all good stuff on the chains.

The bracket itself actually has two main bolts that go through it to bolt it into the main chassis into the nutserts. This part has not been cut or welded. Off the rear of the bracket there is an arm that goes off to the side this uses a bolt and nut and goes through sheet metal... as standard. This is really to give the bracket some upright support if geting pulled to the side. The sheet metal it bolts through from the factory will faile before the bracket and it may lean over to the left or right.

All I've done is cut this supporting arm off and flip it over to the otherside and bolt through the same run of sheetmetal in the exact same predrilled hole except on the drivers side. Again the sheet metal, being much thinner than the bracket and welds, will still fail first. The main thing here is the two bolts and mounting points actually taking the load of the pull to the rear have not been touched on the Jeep or on the bracket. Hope that explains it better.

In saying all this I would love to get a premade bracket but cant seem to get them so maybe a towbar is the only option.

Cheers
Steve