of "driving thru" the brakes in a attempt to confuse the
system into activating the rear LSD in a XJ during loss of
traction.
Has anyone else heard of this theory, and would this not cause
undue stress and wear on what is already a less than efficient braking
system on the XJs?

Gojeep
21-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Yep done that for years. It is only needed when there has not been enough torque detected in the spinning wheel to put pressure into the LSD clutches. This happens when one wheel is either not on the ground or on something very slippery. Pulling on the handbrake works better as you dont slow drive to the front axle where you do not have a LSD fitted as standard!

MattW
21-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Get a locker and dont worry about brakes at all (unless you actually want to stop)

Ando_13
22-09-2003, 08:48 AM
I use this technique when is slippery situations, but beware, I have two mates who have broken driveline bits doing this. One was CV in a landcruiser 75 and the other was a uni joint on the front drive shaft of a Triton. So the handbrake could be a smarter idea than the foot brake.

CJer
22-09-2003, 10:29 AM
I use this technique when is slippery situations, but beware, I have two mates who have broken driveline bits doing this. One was CV in a landcruiser 75 and the other was a uni joint on the front drive shaft. So the handbrake could be a smarter idea than the foot brake.

Hand brakes works well as long as you rember to take it off again. Unlike me who forgot and had to dump the clutch to get out of a rut and snaped a axle :oops: :oops: then had to drive arround in frontwheel drive for 7 weeks while hammonds got me some new 1 piece axles from the USA :( :(

cherrykee
22-09-2003, 11:45 AM
OK this is great feedback guys then when using the handbrake stupid question but do you keep the button depressed and pull the break up and down intermittently? as obviously otherwise it would just click on the lock the back yes?
sorry if this sounds obvious but just confirming...

PK
22-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Hold the button in and lift the handbrake up and down repeatedly. This DOES work, I have seen it many times during MJOC driver training.

Ben
22-09-2003, 05:02 PM
It definitely works...I've done it when I was stopped dead in mud...used the handbrake trick a few times and managed to get out.

But I'd still prefer front and rear ARBs! :mrgreen:

Grant
22-09-2003, 07:37 PM
you can also drive through your brakes when negotiating sticky situations and it is just a matter of learning to feel through the brake pedal (you do not stomp hard on pedal and then try to flog it through the brakes) it takes practice so that you learn how much brake is needed and also how much throttle.
Practice makes perfect but being shown and instructed in the correct method is even better