PDA

View Full Version : Sagging on one side, May have bent my chasis.

RockhamptonTJ
10-10-2003, 10:33 AM
I noticed a while back on my TJ that the RHS rear side looked lower than it should be. Durring the investigations at ARB they disconected my front sway bar to A-Frame it for measuring the springs. They called me in and showed me that the swaybar links where they attach to the axle housing didnt line up, one side was ok the other was below the hole by about 20mm, they said i had bent my front sway bar and they would fix the 10mm discrepancie in the rear spring with spacers. but most of the problem was coming from the sway bar tisting the car, thus pulling the rear down.

Well I took my swaybar off today, and ......its not bent its perfect. So something is out where the sway bar mounts....could i have bent my chasis?

Tony

big red beast
10-10-2003, 10:41 AM
i believe very unlikely, did you measure all the springs are they the same height. try swaping them from left to right, it may be the spring has failed when loaded.
also check all the mounts of all 4 sway bars front and rear to see if there is a problem.
i know with my car that the drivers side is a little heigher that the passagers not dsure why tho

still believe there is another explaination ther than your chassis being bent - pray its not too.

try swaping the springs (front and rear) and then see what happens

sir_camel
10-10-2003, 11:23 AM
try swaping the springs (front and rear) and then see what happens

The back will be mega high and the front low??

Bummer news mate....hope it isnt ya chasiss thats carked it.

big red beast
10-10-2003, 11:25 AM
when i said swap i mean from side to side not front to rear
as he said one side of is car is sagging (the right)

LEXX
10-10-2003, 11:32 AM
I've also had the exact same thing, the TJ always slopped to right if you looked at it from behind. I've been told that this is something that was left over from the LHD manufature. The TJ has a lean that way to compenste for the caster on the road on LHD countries, I belive the spring perches are actually slightly different in height, I fixed mine with a few spacers and she is fine now.

I know what you mean though RockyTJ, I drove me mad for ages!!!!!!

Wooders
10-10-2003, 01:30 PM
Mine used to sit crocked - but now she sitts flat.....

I really doubt you've tweaked the chassis unless you've taken a fair hit your not telling us about....

Wooders
10-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Also the spring need to be the same height & rating ....not just the same height...

andy_n
10-10-2003, 02:24 PM
I've had two Xj's and now My Tj, they all sit low in the rear RHS.

I am sorry if you have already explained, but how did you guys fix it (LEXX and Wooders).

I thought it might have just been my lard Arse. :D

Wooders
10-10-2003, 02:31 PM
I'm on my third set of springs.....or is it my fourth....can't really remember...but she sits flat now....anyways I blame the springs....

Jeeps
12-10-2003, 12:52 AM
Mine was leaning to the right for a bit but it now seems to sit flat - or i'm used to it. My dealer said it's 'normal'.

Big Mac
12-10-2003, 08:43 AM
Mine sags too......it's the bodylift guys....I need a stronger belt or smaller jeans jacket....to improve the lift or more exercise to reduce the weight :!:

murray
12-10-2003, 11:28 AM
from past experience this always happens
combination of set up for the camber of the road
and the torque that is produced by the engine during use
this is what happened whit my v8 cj after i rebuilt the suspension :D

Pedro
12-10-2003, 07:29 PM
I had the same prob up to 6 weeks ago RHS leaning down. Thought it was a fat bloke who owned it before cause he broke the drivers seat mounts also. Seems it is an inherent problem from its decendy. Mayne springs reset and added 1 for stiffness for under 300 clams Best dang thing i ever did. Now i sing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on dirt roads.