PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler?

Matthew J Crosby
31-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi Guys can someone please help me? I have a 96 Cherokee sport. Today I dropped me car off at a transmission service center to have a transmission cooler installed. When I returned to pick my girl up the guy hadnt even started the job and said he did'nt as i already have a trans cooler.. but this is a small external cooler and as i dont have a owners manual i can only assume that it is the standard cooler.... Will this suffice?... as i have a Haymen resse tow bar on its way across the tasman as we speak and the last thing i want to do is cook me tranny...... Can any of you fello jeepers email me a scaned copy of a 96 Xj owners manual.... i would be forever greatful to who ever could ..... all i want is to be able to care for my girl thanks guys and stay safe!

Gojeep
31-10-2003, 03:41 PM
All XJ's to Australia came with the external cooler pumped inline with the one inside the raditor tank as well. The problem with adding a bigger cooler in place of it is that you restrict the air flow to the aircon condensor as well as the radiator behind that! The more heat you take out of the tranmission the more flows over the two just metioned. You will be fine the way it is setup now and is the best compromise. Just make sure you dont let it labour up long hills while still in over drive or sometime even against a really strong head wind.

wrench
31-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Hi Matthew.
If you have a bullbar fitted it is possible to fit a cooler under the radiator & in front of the hole in the radiator support panel. I had 2 reasons for doing this.
1. Discussions with castrol techs who had been involved in analysis of failed XJ transmissions due to oil breakdownat high temps.
2. Atempting to take some of the heat out of the radiator/condensor airstream.
I disconnected the intank cooler & plumbed the fluid through the largest size cooler availabe as well as the std ext cooler. Also carried out full tranny flush & filled with full synthetic fluid.
Worked well for 120,000 kms & 5 years until traded. About to do similar to my new WJ V8.
HTH
David