PDA

View Full Version : Bent axle housing Rear Dana44????????

RockhamptonTJ
06-11-2003, 08:19 AM
Took my 99TJ to ARB yesterday to try get my saggy OME coils fixed as it had developed a big lean to the right hand side after only 6months.

While fixing it they brought up two points that i thought were strange.

1. They said my front sway was bent. is this common, i took it off cant see a bend.

2. They said my rear axle housing was bent up a few degrees on the passenger side, again i cant see it. Is this common? I have not been too hard on it. just regulare offroading etc.

They fixed the coil which sagged 10mm with a spacer, and said i would have to straighten the swaybar and weld a brace onto the rear diff. You ever done this???

Tony

Wooders
06-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Front Swaybar bent? HTF would you manage that....I've NEVER heard of one being bent before....any you say you've removed it & it looks straight...hmmm me's suspect ARB lads might have been smoking something.....

Rear housing bent - the only way you could really manage that is if you've been launching it.....No brace on my D44 - and not a common mod for those that I know...

RockhamptonTJ
06-11-2003, 11:50 AM
No never launched it. Actually baby it mostly.

Tone

LEXX
06-11-2003, 03:40 PM
hmmmmmm, first I've ever heard of both these problems.

Go back to those ARB boys and try and get the name of thier contact where they are getting those premo drugs from?

Black_TJ
06-11-2003, 07:35 PM
My rear pass side axel housing is bent too..... Mullers tell me its very common on TJ's

MattW
06-11-2003, 08:13 PM
my front axle was bent but got straightened. I dont know htf you would bend your sway bar when it gets disconnected off road. It's not even in use.

North West TJ
06-11-2003, 08:47 PM
I orginally ordered the stiffest OME springs due to the hardtop - and they sagged noticably well within a year of moderate use. I was offered a 10mm spacer to fix it but was not happy with this solution as I thought they should perform better than this. Funny enough the right side sagged more than the left but no problems with bent anything.

After some dicussion ARB came through and replaced on warranty with higher rated King Springs and have not had a problem since (also replaced leaking OME shock at the same time). Great service I thought.

murray
06-11-2003, 10:12 PM
i have braced the 44 in the back of my cj

polly
07-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Guys
not sure if this is relevant, but I have just replaced my d35 axle housing as I bent it when I broke an axle a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't going that hard at it (i thought) broke the left rear axle, stuffed the ring and pinion, air locker and axle housing. not a cheap fix as you can imagine.
If they recomend bracing the axle, do it and save the pain of a fix later

cheers

Wooders
07-11-2003, 07:02 AM
My rear pass side axel housing is bent too..... Mullers tell me its very common on TJ's

Cool lets make a case to DC to give us dual 60's 8)

RockhamptonTJ
07-11-2003, 09:43 AM
I went and had a wheel allignment as this would show any warping of the rear axle/housing.

And it came up fine - Now Problem. But when you put a spirit level on it it kicks up at the Passenger side just under the Upper control arm bracket.

Strange - Just another jeep thing.

Tony