PDA

View Full Version : Rust in peace

Shorncliffe
01-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Howdy Jeep gurus

I'm interested in getting my jeep rustproofed but I'm not sure whether to go electronic or conventional methods. I'd probably rather go electronic to save all the mess but not sure how effective it is. Anybody got any advice?

80LIX
01-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Ive used ERPS for 5 years and had no problems. I go to the beach a lot, you still get a light film of brown crap over some scratchs but I think it works ok.

Jeeps
02-12-2003, 11:33 AM
I won't ever get the conventional stuff on a new jeep EVER AGAIN! It ruins the paint in a few places & the new look. My nice new rear bar is covered in rustproofing drips that i can't get off and it now looks like it's 40 years old... it's WAY too messy for me.

On saying that, i also have ERPS fitted. My chassis hasn't rusted out yet (it shouldn't anyway!) but a few small unpainted bits on the bars/bashplates are showing signs of surface rust. In a few years i'll let u know how it is!

markj
02-12-2003, 12:16 PM
Guys

Maybe i have been mislead, or i didn't understand the statement, but i thought that the Wranglers (I have a TJ) were rust proof, or atleast a great proportion of the components were rust proof, galvanised.

I welcome your comments

Thanks

billsta
02-12-2003, 01:19 PM
stick a lump of scraficial metal on ya jeep

Barefoot
02-12-2003, 03:11 PM
How does the ERPS work,what do they do to the vehicle?

Jeeps
02-12-2003, 06:28 PM
Guys

Maybe i have been mislead, or i didn't understand the statement, but i thought that the Wranglers (I have a TJ) were rust proof, or atleast a great proportion of the components were rust proof, galvanised.

I welcome your comments

Thanks

Yes, Jeeps have 'double dipped' galvanised panels from what i have heard. They are not likely to rust in a hurry. Landrovers have aluminium panels so they are less likely to rust as well. However, given plenty of sand, salt & offroad work - anything will rust quickly. The ERPS apparently works by emitting a pulse through the metal body of the vehicle preventing rust to form. The only catch is that the surface needs to be painted to be protected. This is why scratches/bare metal shows surface rust with ERPS.

Jeepmum
13-12-2003, 11:03 PM
Are all the Jeeps gal or just the wranglers? :?

LEXX
14-12-2003, 02:46 PM
GO JEEPS, the rust guru. I suppose you need to know a fair bit when you are doing doghies on the sand all the time and destroying our natural beach scape. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As far as I know all Jeeps from 94 onwards were doubledipped gal, but I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will tell me if I am. :mrgreen:

big red beast
15-12-2003, 05:36 AM
i have always wondered how yiou see many landrover bodys with riust on them if for years they have been made from aluminium - aluminium does not rust 9only iron does) it can oxidise but in saying that alumiunium gets that dull finish from an oxidation film that is formed acting as a protective coating for further oxidation.
so if this is truely the case which it is - then how do you see old landy's with rust on em?

i'll have a look for some pamphlets that i had of a firm that did all BHP trucks and the like for rust proofing - someone like this would be worthwhile looking into as a firm such as this would research a product like this in their labs before purchasing.
- must work

Grant
15-12-2003, 07:30 AM
The cancer that Landrovers suffer from is usually galvanic action where the allow and disimilar metals come into contact.
I have a mate with a landrover and his is full of it (everywhere it or a dissimilar metal touches)

big red beast
15-12-2003, 07:47 AM
true - i fporgot all about that

having alluminium on steel will cause more prob's than straight steel
the steel acts a a succrificial metal

anyone tried attaching a piece of zinc to the body to act a a sacraficial metal?

Grant
15-12-2003, 07:56 AM
It works rather well
mate purchased a zinc annode from boat dealer attached it to underside of landy )out of site) and all he has to do now is repair the electrolis damage

XJ 98
18-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Shorncliffe.

I did a fair amount of research into this not long ago for my XJ.

My previous fourby was the conventional spray on type and I had no problem at all, but I have heard about some unscrupulous operators who were using watered down product etc.

I looked for a couple of months at the electronic stuff, and yes, it seems to be basic science, but in saying that, there is just something about it, that I don't like. As mentioned, things like scratches, or underbody damage that occurrs, and then whooska, there's your rust. It is said to improve your paint finish too !!!

If you go the electronic .... make sure it is someone repuatable. In brissie I always go Downey St Lubritorium at Geebung (Shameless Plug) for the conventional spray. Good prices and long term reputation.

If I went electronic, I would go the expensive one and if I got some real rust, I would be suing the ass off them !!!!

Hope all this ramble helps :wink:

Shorncliffe
18-12-2003, 09:28 PM
thanks for the help guys
i'm going for the electronic option, the quote i got was as cheap if not cheaper than spray on.
now i just need to save a bit of money before i go up the beach this xmas

Jeeps
18-12-2003, 11:48 PM
I paid $450 installed for my E.R.P.S system with 4 couplers. Two of the couplers are in the engine bay/firewall and the other two are mounted just behind each rear rollbar mount. I had it installed by Outback Jack's 4wd at Slacks Creek. They seemed to be the cheapest around at the time.