PDA

View Full Version : how do I prime oil pump on 308?

CJ6np435
02-03-2004, 01:06 PM
just fired up my new 308 very noisey, lifters , and a knock :shock: no Oil pressure So how do I prime the oil pump :?:

nutbreak
02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
normally priming is done bfore firing up!! but once running should pump oil...when u installed pump was it dry?....need more info on "new 308"

ACJ
02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
You can poor oil in the hole where the oil switch or sender screws in but i didn't need to prime mine made oil presure straight away

ian
02-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Most people when they build an engine they prime the pump with grease when fitted and you should get oil presure straight away :D

CJ6np435
02-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Got it sussed, goodOl55 helped me out, the 308 is a reco I've just pulled out of a VK commodore, to swap into my cj replacing a tired 253, I had to swap the sump and rocker covers, for the ones on the 253, had the motor upside down on an engine stand, and all the oil must've drained out, anyway, to make matters worse I've got a remote filter and oil cooler set up, so on goodOl55's advice I pulled the pump off and packed the rotors with grease, filled a spare oil filter, and screwed that direct to the pump, she primed right away, runs quiet as a mouse now :wink:
then I put a couple of temporary caps on the remote adaptor, screwed that on in place of the filter, then conected the lines to the cooler and the remote filter, finally,JIC I filled the oil lines with new oil at a high point, all's well phew :D
will remember your tip ACJ about the oil switch port, for next time