PDA

View Full Version : US CJ Tail lights

CJ7Dave
07-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Hi All,

Are the tail lights on CJ's in the states different to the ones here?

I want to get a set of those nice stainless tail light protectors :) But I seem to remember somone saying that the tail lights here are different...

Thanks,
Dave

nutbreak
07-04-2004, 02:35 PM
yep.
i got the protectors and a set of tj lights and the lights didnt fit (too tall) then got them swapped for u.s. lights (no indicator orange) so best to get them as a set, i think t.w. still has some.

CJ7Dave
07-04-2004, 03:57 PM
That still roadworthy in NSW with the U.S. lights?

I have to take it over the pits again :(

Gildo
10-04-2004, 11:19 PM
Dave, the reason is that theres only 3 ccts in the US ones not 4 like ours have.
If you set up a seperate reverse light and paint the clear section orange then these are cool to use here.
The Aus lights can be modded to fit the tail lite guards but if you are ordering the lot from OS, sell or keep your stock lights and buy the lot.
Poly here & Hammonds QLD carry the guards but not sure about the lights.
If you want just the lights, PM me I have a spare set.

OzJeeper
10-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Act u ally.

You have to carefully shave off some plastic before they will go under the guards.... and....buy a couple of orange indicator lamps like GMH use - no need for the paint.

Just some bolt-on reversing lights (Supercheap!)

And if you back the TJ into "something" and bump the guard - the light will be untouched!!!!!

Pity about the $400 panel beating jobby....the guard will punch into the rear 1/4 panel somthing shocking...

Billy Infidel
25-04-2004, 05:54 AM
I recently replace the tail lights on my 81 CJ7, with units from www.walcks4wd.com
lights a bit bigger than the original ones,, and brake light, must be changed to an amber bulb, because , otherwise when you hit the brakes it may look like you have reversed , to people behind you,, because there is a sep backup light...
otherwise all went well,,,,
the orig light were old faded,,, and needed replacing
Billy Infidel
bill-c@austarnet.com.au

Billy Infidel
25-04-2004, 06:00 AM
oops,, forgot to mention,, the new lights stuck out much farther than the originals,, so had to extend the stopper for the spare tyre carrier,, so that when the carrier swings open all the way,, that the taillight does not get smashed to bits,, just added couple of rubber stoppers with a stainless bolt thru the middle to extend the stopper by about 30mm..
Billy Infidel