PDA

View Full Version : cat is on its way out

tuckerbox
20-07-2006, 12:44 AM
so my cat is on it way out and rattling like hell. i could just replace that but im considering my options. i have read go jeeps site but just want to know what other people have replaced it with ?

extractors, new piping,, and so on

cheers
tb

AussieRCBasher
20-07-2006, 01:05 AM
cats really only last 50,000km b4 they are useless anyways.. my suggestion is get a high flow one or open her up and rip its guts out.. lol. i run extractors with the stock redback muffler and cat and it needs more flow.. my cat is not rattling yet but had a few dents from rocks.. im soon going to be going to a full 3" system. when money permits..

Snapey
20-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I ripped the guts out of mine years ago. Didn't seem to make any difference to running at all and stopped that horrible rattling noise.

Gildo
20-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I ripped the guts outta a cat and made a Violin

tuckerbox
20-07-2006, 05:37 PM
thanks gildo ... how many strings ? doe sshe stil rattle ?

snapey what you got now ..straight pipe ? muffler ?

AussieRCBasher
20-07-2006, 06:08 PM
na u only open it up and take the platinum filter out.. this is so u leave the cat in the line.. so the cops and what not THINK you actually have one.. but there is no filter in it.

Gildo
21-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Also handy for restringing a tennis racket.

Snapey
21-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Yeah, OK Gildo - we get it! :-) Wish I'd thought of that one first!

As Basher said you just remove the element and leave the can - you also need this to screw the O2 sensor into on mine.

AussieRCBasher
21-07-2006, 09:59 PM
snappy how did u get yours open? and how does it go since the O2 Sensor is actually in the cat? thanks

tuckerbox
21-07-2006, 10:52 PM
so whats the cheapest way out of this ? without going all out and replacing whole exhaust. rip cat out....howww ?

Snapey
21-07-2006, 11:20 PM
From memory I undid the clamp in front of the cat and unbolted the support at the rear of the exhaust. The O2 sensor screws into a fitting so took that out then got the pipe to swing out from under the XJ so I could sit the converter end of it on some blocks. Then I used a hammer and large screwdriver to slowly break what was left of the element into pieces and shake them out. The hardest part was breaking the last bit into small enough pieces - as the smaller it gets the harder it is to hold in a position to give it a good hit. Something like a pair of long pincers / pliers or a small pair of multigrips might also come in handy - as do the two most neseccary items in the Jeep toolbox - patience and band-aids! Hope this helps and you never heard it from me!

AussieRCBasher
22-07-2006, 12:11 AM
oh dont worry i do everything by the book... pigs A$$! haha na i wont tell if i get picked up ill get an 18 dollar fine and my mate will let me go.. so its ok he suggestes that i rip it out in the first place i was going to use a large drill bit and drill the centre of it out haha..

oh and for all those that live near me,, and thats none of u.. dont come near my area while im doing this as i plan to make a good video of my reving it up on open headers lol.. unless u wanna see some flames thats cool.. i plan to do it at night

Snapey
22-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Aussie, you worry me sometimes.

AussieRCBasher
22-07-2006, 12:53 AM
lol why.. wouldn'nt you like to do that? i love muscles cars and this will be the closest i'll probably ever get to owning one haha. im not gonna leave it off just run it for a couple mins.. i dont want to replace all my seals im not that crazy..

Snapey
22-07-2006, 06:26 PM
That's good to hear - but I was more worried because I had such a hard time understanding what you wrote! lol

AussieRCBasher
22-07-2006, 07:43 PM
oh sorry, i have bad... or should i say Really bad grammer. its just this thing i have had growing up with slag and stuff which has made me stay like that. I have extreemly good manners and stuff but i lack grammer.

Snapey
22-07-2006, 09:53 PM
No problems. I blame my education for lots of things as well. University was to blame for me loosing so many brain cells!

xjbenny
22-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey Basher i can understand where your coming from i droped the mufflers off my bike & went for a blat around the block,was like having a set of drag pipes on hehe "lovely" flames out the headers

AussieRCBasher
22-07-2006, 11:32 PM
hehe see. im not the only one.. i am currently in the shed making a Y valve for infront of my cat.. this will have a plate which can be bolted on and taken off for when i want the sound and power.. sorta like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mr-Gasket-Exhaust-Cutout-Open-your-exhaust-for-20-HP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42610QQihZ009QQitemZ 190011351733QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

i plan to make my own but instead of a movable valve (unless i can find an old carbie to use LOL) i'll bolt up a plate to the outlet side.

i know im only 17 nearly 18 but my mates love what my jeep can do. i know it doesnt do it as eacy as a commawhore or ford but they are impressed.. a gadget like that will make me happy and them hehe.

Matty ducati
22-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Feed it to the dog;)

optical
23-07-2006, 02:27 PM
for those law lovers out there....

its illegal to run no cat, or a bashed out item, and can attract a 10k fine. BUT i dont know of anyone who has copped this (coming from the performance car scene)

but its also illegal for us to run a certain amount of lift and larger tyres blah blah ;)

AussieRCBasher
23-07-2006, 04:57 PM
lol ever old car i see on the road doesnt even have one.. my dads Alfa Romeo didnt, lots of bogans rip them out and stick a straight pipe in its place.. and they dont get cought.. tho the jeep one does hang down low im only gonna do the guts so the case is still there.

ducky
23-07-2006, 05:00 PM
cats only came compulasary items on exhausts in around 1987 i think

AussieRCBasher
23-07-2006, 06:26 PM
ahh ok, well his car was an old Alfa Romeo GT Junior wth a twin webber barrel carbies and was made for real drving.. nice hard clutch so u had to drive it hard lol.. yeh blew black smoke on startup and it was only then i found out they didnt have them back in the 70's.. .. i didnt get time to do mine 2day but will 2morrow. ill take pics

tuckerbox
23-07-2006, 09:13 PM
so have pople put an exhaust system with extractors ? is it worth while ?

does it improve fuel consumption ?

AussieRCBasher
23-07-2006, 09:21 PM
i run em, they look sorta silimar to the stockers but arent.. they go from 2 pairs of 3 individual pipes into a Y juction..

they are loud and make your stock ehaust nice and loud.. i added an exhaust tip and it really sounds different compared to stock ones..

i get about 550 if im really easy on the right foot, which aint to bad..
and LPG is getting worse at 450-500 from 550 roughly.. i need a tune up bad..

ill take a small vid for you of a start up and post it on here in a few minutes.. its gonna be dark since its night time but ill get a torch out..

tuckerbox
23-07-2006, 09:25 PM
cheers for that aussie ..awesome.

550 ...ur cheering if your getting that much of a tank.

AussieRCBasher
23-07-2006, 09:32 PM
send me your email as its only 136kb.. it was the first startup on cold so it gargles a lil for 2 seconds then runs fine.. thats on lpg to so if it was on petrol it would sounds like a 454 idle that real mean big block sounds which i have it tuned for..

camera was 4 ft away from the pipes at the time.

AussieRCBasher
23-07-2006, 09:33 PM
i wouldnt be able to afford the car if it wasnt on LPG.. and the thing is its so cheap so i dont mind putting my foot down cos when it comes to fill up i still have a smile and dont worry about costs.

tuckerbox
23-07-2006, 09:34 PM
ephotography@optusnet.com.au