PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pressure

tassiecj6
17-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Any one ever had their TJ oil pressure fluctuating (0 to half gauge) on idle when engine is warm.
engine has done lots of Kys (over 250,000) and am running Shell Helix oil which i know is SH-T .
It's due for a change so ,is it only the oil and filter.
I am going to change it to Penrite on saturday.
just wondering !!
Cheers
Tassicj6

sir_camel
18-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Mine does this. I have been told that some earlier TJ's have a dodgy sensor or watever that means the guage can sometimes play up. Cruising with a warmed up engine and it suddenly drops for 5 seconds to 0 then goes up again with no difference in engine sound, revs etc. Freaks me out everytime though.

Wozza
18-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Mine does it to. But then, so does the tacho and the speedo now and then. Fairly popular problem I hear due to the connection behind the instrument binnacle. A sharp punch to the dash usually remedied it (found that out by accident!)

wiz
18-08-2006, 05:29 PM
sometimes its its a good idea to clean the OilPressure Senders connection ...

located just above the oil filter ,
with the clip facing downwards at the ground (be careful not to break it) ,
disconnect and blow some compressed air (even that of your lungs) ,
& reconnect.

probably most useful when driving through a lot of puddles and the like , that causes the connection to get foulded .... could be as simple as that :wink:

tassiecj6
19-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Changed the oil and filter today ,
fixed the fluctuating pressure gauge problem but the lifters are noisy now .
May have to replace them soon ,
(also took the advice and cleaned connection on filter )
one thing after another but what the hell ,it's only money !!!!
thanks for the advice all.
Tassiecj6

Jeff
20-08-2006, 10:08 AM
My Oil Pressure meter played up for the first time in three years yesterday. I knew I shouldn't have read this thread!

Boothy
21-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Bought new Oil pressure sender unit 2 weeks ago $113 Narrelan Jeep. Blood thing was going straight to 5.4bar when ignition on (engine not even running). All fixed with new sender unit.