PDA

View Full Version : trailer wheel conv.

Im Rick James B***H
01-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Just wondering what would be invoved in converting a 7x4 builders trailer to to jeep hubs and 4wd tyres.Is it easy ,hard or just annoying enough to get sombody else to do it :hammer: ?

My grand would be to get some 31's for the jeep and use the 28's for the trailer but just looking at it those little fellers they aren't going to fit.Oh and the all important..... how much damage?

G&W
01-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Have recently done this to my 6X4 tradies trailer.

Got 2 ford hubs (they're the same as the jeep) from Repco for about $70 (pair). Included the bearings, seals, caps and wheel nuts. Already had the grease. Took about an hour all up to do the swap. The Wrangler's old steel wheels and tyres fit straight on.

If you're worried about under guard clearance, just move the axle so that it's underslung - ie, under the springs instead of above.

PK
01-09-2006, 05:42 PM
I've done the same with my camper trailer. It had Landcruiser 6 stud rims, so I got Ford hubs, the only thing was I also had to replace the axle with a longer one due to the offset of the standard Jeep rims.

jeepilot
02-09-2006, 03:10 PM
same , with my bike trailer

Im Rick James B***H
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
nice one boys i'll definately get this sorted before our next camping trip to fraser!!!

much appreciated :)

Gojeep
03-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Dont forget that it is only the ZJ 93-99 that has the 5 on 4.5" pattern like the Ford. The later Grands from 99 on have 5 on 5" and dont know if you can get hubs to suit those. You must also have the skill to know how to set the correct brearing tension when replacing the hubs. Too tight and you will stuff them as well as too loose.