PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter?

Wallace
03-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Hey All,

I was doing a general check of my jeep last night (you know, oils, brake fluids all that shizm) and i popped open the air box to have a look at the filter....

A bit of mud has gotten into the airbox and now the filter is chockablock full of crap. No mud got to the other side of the air intake though (luckily!).

My question now is... do i go and replace the airfilter with just another stock filter, or do i replace it with the K&N filter? Or... if im going to spend money anyway, should i just go and get a snorkel?(Are they hard to fit at home?)

Im assuming that when i buy a snorkel i have to buy a new filter anyway - but thats life!

What brand snorkel should i look at? what's "cheap" and whats "expensive".

Cheers
Will

CrazyNuts
03-09-2006, 11:55 AM
Even when i had a snorkle i had a SHITLOAD of mud get into the filter. What i suggest is you get a K&N Filter. Better performance (well i noticed it) and you will never have to buy a filter again. All you have to do is clean it with some soapy water and then spray the K&N oil.

Go Gear in Osie Park sells the filters for $112.

ASH79
03-09-2006, 09:03 PM
I agree.I have just installed a K&N fiklter in my TJ. What a difference it makes to performance aswell as fuel economy. sounds better too :)

mattc
03-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Re : Snorkels.

Off the shelf in Oz, there is really only the ARB one AFAIK. Good quality. Still uses the stock air box (ie stock filter also). JPMark, did a batch of custom stainless steel ones. Search this BB - there maybe some still sitting around for sale somewhere. Else custom build your own.

Wallace
04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Matt, is a snorkel worth the effor though? I dont mind buying one, its no big deal - its just a case of whether it will actually acheive anything more than the stock setup currently does....

mattc
05-09-2006, 01:22 AM
Worth the effort? To do what?

Not drown your engine - yes.
Some type of performance gain - no.
Keep mud out - to a large extent. Or just buy a washable/oilable filter if you drive in muddy / dusty conditions a lot.

(I have both a snorkel and washable filter.)

Wooders
05-09-2006, 07:11 AM
I just run the old paper style.
And every time I toss one out becuase it's all grotty & full of crap I know it's doing it's job properly ;)