PDA

View Full Version : 6 speed very hard to shift when hot

Vman
04-09-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi,

I have had a 12000km service and at the time I mentioned that the 1st and 2nd gears were a bit sticky. The dealer checked and all is normal. I have just come back from a 10000km holiday and half way through the trip I noticed that the gear box might be getting a bit hot (the left foot was feeling a bit of the heat). After a few more km's all shifting in and out of gear was hard if not very hard but only after it got hot. I had the authorised Jeep repair shop check the gear box. They asked if I have been through water!! well I was in the Kimberly's and water crossings are the only way to get anywhere!! So the answer was YES. They checked and there was no water but only 1.5L of gear oil and according to the shop I need 2.8L. Cost $220
Here is the question, how much oil do I need for a 6 speed and what damage could this have done? I am going to the dealer for the 24000km service on Monday and would like to know what to expect.
Cheers

MattW
04-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Have no idea what to expect but i would extend all of your breathers up to the engine bay. I have extended the lines for both the diffs, the transfer case and the gearbox. Not sure where the breather is on the 6 speed box though. Where abouts in Perth are you?

Vman
04-09-2006, 06:50 PM
Hi Matt,

I am in Kinross, just down the road from you and I have cold beer!! :) Have no idea what to expect but i would extend all of your breathers up to the engine bay. I have extended the lines for both the diffs, the transfer case and the gearbox. Not sure where the breather is on the 6 speed box though. Where abouts in Perth are you?

MattW
05-09-2006, 07:38 AM
I will have to come and check out where the breathers are on the newer model. I fly back to Perth tomorrow. So if you are free during the week (even if its after work) i can come over and check it out. or you can come to my place. Whichever is easier as its really not far lol

resident e
05-09-2006, 11:49 AM
i'v got a 6sp too and yes mine dosent seem to be as smooth when changing from 1st to 2nd either.

monte
05-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Hi,
I had the same issue from new as well,2005 6 speed only done 12,100 K's now.
I changed my oil to Royal purple syncromax,it has improved the change between gears about 70% better.and I only had to put in about 1.9 liters and thats what the manual states as the quantity that the box holds.

CheekyJeepChick
05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 6 speed boxes are faulty and you should have your dealership look at them ASAP! I have a 2005 TJ Renegade and last week I had a whole new transmission put in mine at 36,000kms! (at the expensive of Jeep of course) It was funny from 1st to 2nd .... a bit sticky, crunchy and it was leaping out of reverse. It started playing up when it was only 6 months old. So beware I've heard around the traps that quite a few people are having problems with the 6 speed.

Wallace
06-09-2006, 09:45 AM
* Spanks CheekyJeepChick *

Sorry - i couldnt help myself...

CheekyJeepChick
07-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Grrrrrrrrrr!

danjeep
07-09-2006, 12:22 PM
I have had the same problem (2005 model), especially when its cold, I told the dealer about it and they reckon there isn't anything wrong with it. Cheeky how does yours shift now? How long did it take??

CheekyJeepChick
08-09-2006, 10:12 AM
To be honest ..... it's still not smooth between 1st and 2nd but it's a new box so I guess that's just how they are. My biggest problem was it leaping out of gear, especially reverse....scary! It took a week to get it here, only a day to put it in.

Hurdbeast
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Is the gearbox a common problem with the 05tj`s, coming up to 36K on the speedo and i havent noticed anything. Are JEEP doing a recall or check them at 36K

CheekyJeepChick
08-09-2006, 02:06 PM
Not that I know of .... I complained to Jeep about it and they took a look at and told me a needed a whole new transmission. There is recall for the cams though, that was last year. Mine had that fault too and they had to do major work on the bottom end. It used to idle up and down.But they never contacted me for that, I found out on the forum and took it back to them. I've got a lemon!

Vman
12-09-2006, 12:23 AM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the 6 speed boxes are faulty and you should have your dealership look at them ASAP! I have a 2005 TJ Renegade and last week I had a whole new transmission put in mine at 36,000kms! (at the expensive of Jeep of course) It was funny from 1st to 2nd .... a bit sticky, crunchy and it was leaping out of reverse. It started playing up when it was only 6 months old. So beware I've heard around the traps that quite a few people are having problems with the 6 speed.
Well here is the update, the dealer did the 24k service and they checked the gearbox, well they took it for a drive and the words on the invoice are "the gear box a bit clunky 2nd synchro otherwise ok"!! The funny part was that when I asked what the out come is the guy said we are getting you a new gear box, I think!? then he went out the back and when he returned he changed his story. :evil: I asked about the issue with the gearbox getting hot and hard to shift, low on oil from factory. The cost of $250 to get it sorted on my holiday!! No answer on that issue..............the answer I did get was I have plenty of warranty left.............I said that will come in handy when the gear box shits it self in the bush and then I try to ring the useless Jeep Assist number!!.............so I am not very happy with the dealer

CheekyJeepChick
12-09-2006, 07:59 AM
Ha! Just wait until it starts jumping out of gear ..... I have to say that my dealer has been pretty good to me, I just have to mention it and it's fixed with a courtesy car supplied. Vman, just keep at them, as you said, you don't want to be stuck in the bush when it shits itself. I think I get such good service from my dealer because they know my jeep has been a lemon from day dot!

MattW
12-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I cant see why they would be a pain about it as the dealer doesnt pay for the parts.

bonza
12-09-2006, 12:53 PM
If there's an issue with the 6 speed transmission then I would like to know.

Who else has had problems with it?

I've clocked up 20,000 Ks on mine and so far so good.

From what I know the transmission is a German built unit by Benz, supposedly well proven in light commercial vehicles.

I do know that you have to use the correct fluid for it, not just manual gearbox oil. None of the oil companies endorse an alternative to the Mopar fluid for this application.

Vman
10-10-2006, 10:13 AM
Here is the latest news!

The dealer had the car for 3 days and admitted that I had a grind in the gearbox. After 3 days of talking to the eastern states they changed the oil :?: , well that didn't help. I have contacted the dealer again and they have come to a conclusion that there was a fault in the gearbox from factory. They will talk to the Jeep rep? not sure what the outcome will be. They did say that they have 3 to 4 Jeeps with gearbox issues same as mine.
So there is an issue with the 6 speed :evil: , maybe Chrysler need to do a recall?
Now I wait and hope that things go my way and I get a new gearbox. No promises that the new box wont have the same problem, that's what the dealer said not me.

Rodgebone
10-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Vic...i am looking at getting robyn an '06 65th edition with the six speed today...but now im thinking automatic after reading this...which dealer did your servicing? and what response did you get from the regional rep? thanks, Rodge

Jeeps
10-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I have to say that my dealer has been pretty good to me, I just have to mention it and it's fixed with a courtesy car supplied.

I never got a courtesy car, even when i booked one 2 months in advance and paid for it, it still wasn't available on the day. In 3 years i was never successful in getting one. I guess some dealers are just flat out. :)

cherren
10-10-2006, 11:33 AM
I am on my 2nd 6 speed TJ the 05 model gearbox was very good but I only had a chance to do 15k km before being wipe out.

The 06 TJ 6 speed (now 2k KM) has been fine in the 1st 4 gear but a real bitch when going from 5th to 6th keeps wanting to go to 4th sometimes. Waiting till I get a few k's up before takening it back to the dealer.

Whats this about the cam shaft recall.????????

My daughter has a 05 TJ auto & I much prefer the 6spd

Vman
23-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Here is the latest news!

The dealer had the car for 3 days and admitted that I had a grind in the gearbox. After 3 days of talking to the eastern states they changed the oil :?: , well that didn't help. I have contacted the dealer again and they have come to a conclusion that there was a fault in the gearbox from factory. They will talk to the Jeep rep? not sure what the outcome will be. They did say that they have 3 to 4 Jeeps with gearbox issues same as mine.
So there is an issue with the 6 speed :evil: , maybe Chrysler need to do a recall?
Now I wait and hope that things go my way and I get a new gearbox. No promises that the new box wont have the same problem, that's what the dealer said not me.
Latest news, Here we go again!!
I had the Jeep at the dealer for 2 days and a new gearbox installed. Yes, they came to the table and gave me a new gearbox. But wait there is more to the story. I now have a gearbox that has jumped out of 1st gear twice with in the first 10km, has a very loud noise coming from the gearbox in all gears (howling) and the 6th gear is hard to find :evil: :evil: !! So they have admitted fault and have ordered a new gearbox. Will this ever end? :cry: There has to be a way of getting this gearbox fixed for good.

Matty ducati
23-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Bad luck dude.

Mine has a slight whine in 1st gear.
it wont get worse, it wont get worse, it wont get worse, it wont get worse, it wont get worse, it wont get worse, it wont get worse, it wont get worse, it wont get worse!

CheekyJeepChick
24-11-2006, 06:54 AM
Vman - welcome to my world! I'm so over it! Mine's playin up like a second hand lawn mower at tha moment. Bloody thing idles up and down when you stop at the lights - so looks like I'll back in to have the bottom end pulled out AGAIN!. I only had a new cam put in less then 12mths ago (at their expense - of course!) The amount of money Jeep has spend on my "heap" in the last 21mths they could have bought me 2 new ones! It used to get me soooo angry and now I just have nothing positive to say about Jeeps! I've become a don't buy Jeeps advocate! ...... sad to think I'd wanted a Jeep for 10 years and now I finally buy my brand spankin new one and it's a dodgy heap of shit! A datsun 180B would be more reliable!

Vman
24-11-2006, 09:48 AM
It used to get me soooo angry and now I just have nothing positive to say about Jeeps! I've become a don't buy Jeeps advocate! ...... sad to think I'd wanted a Jeep for 10 years and now I finally buy my brand spankin new one and it's a dodgy heap of shit! A datsun 180B would be more reliable!
This was the first brand new vehicle I have ever bought and it was a big decision! Right now I wish I kept my 92 Toyota Surf!!! If I didn't spend thousands of dollars on the Jeep to get it just the way I wanted I would sell the bloody thing :evil: . Love the Jeep idea hate the dealership, service department and the ongoing issue!!! :toilet:

CheekyJeepChick
24-11-2006, 06:39 PM
This was the first brand new vehicle I have ever bought and it was a big decision! Right now I wish I kept my 92 Toyota Surf!!! If I didn't spend thousands of dollars on the Jeep to get it just the way I wanted I would sell the bloody thing :evil: . Love the Jeep idea hate the dealership, service department and the ongoing issue!!! :toilet:

I wish I had listened to my brother (a mechanic for Toyota 4x4) and bought a hilux! ........... I never hear the end of it from him. :blah:
Sad to say.... I'm a glutten for punishment and am contemplating the new JK. Perhaps I should wake up to myself and listen it to my Bro :hammer:

Rodgebone
24-11-2006, 09:28 PM
I wish I had listened to my brother (a mechanic for Toyota 4x4) and bought a hilux! ........... I never hear the end of it from him

as an australian jeep owner you will ALWAYS get grief from others for driving one...lets face it, unless you have a toyota or a nissan you are simply the minority here

on the flip side...ALL CARS BRANDS HAVE PROBLEMS...if you bought one of the few of the hundreds of thousands of mass produced whatever (jeep in this case) deemed a "lemon" then its just plain bad luck...happens all the time to all car manufacturers and their customers...there will always be some that are going to have major problems (toyota included)...i WILL say that here in Australia Toyota and Nissan have a terrific reputation for reliability but that can always change so to say Jeeps suck and Toyotas rock is very subjective...ive seen firsthand how the Nissan dealership takes care of problem vehicles like yours and there is NO difference
there is definitely an issue with the Jeep six speed...however nobody knows why some fail and others go on and on and on without issue...Jeep better sort issues like this out or their brand will continue to be dominated by better QC and reputable service by the likes of Nissan and Toyota
i think the district rep should have given you guys the choice of another vehicle (pro rated of course) just to ease your grief and support your patronage for buying their brand
Vic, if worse comes to worse you can always pop a 5-speed or auto or maybe an aftermarket unit like a tremec 6 speed (or other brand) in your jeep and go on with your life enjoying your VERY BEAUTIFUL TJ...from personal experience i know sometimes the district rep will agree to pay for such an alternative after so many failed attempts to fix the issue...maybe they will even buy the vehicle back - in the states (and im assuming here as well), if after so many attempts to fix a problem fails they are obligated to do so anyway and put you into another vehicle (called the lemon law in the US)...

CheekyJeepChick
27-11-2006, 07:36 AM
Well, I DEFINATELY fit in to "Lemon Law" category!
But I'm sure I have bucklies chance of havin my heap replaced!
The dealership doesn't even sympathise, it's like it's just normal and I have to deal with it. It's bullshit! :cry:

Rodgebone
27-11-2006, 09:13 AM
The dealership doesn't even sympathise, it's like it's just normal and I have to deal with it

Thats quite a normal attitude for most dealerships (any brand) when it comes to problem cars they are responsible for...you have to hound the district rep relentlessly to get some action

Steve F
27-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Unfortunatley there are no Lemon laws here so the dealer can just keep trying to fix the problem and keep your Jeep off the road for as long as they deem necessary. This is probably no consolation but a mate of mine has a 105 series Landcruiser with factory diff locks. It has destroyed the front diff twice, once on a climb and once just backing up a flat track. The dealer replaced it under warranty the first time but the second time refused too. He has no confidence in the front diff now and often tags along with me or just doesn't do some of the tracks he may have previously done. This is not an isolated case either, the 105 series is well know for blowing front diffs. All vehicles have thier problems and hopefully you guys will finally get yours sorted.

Cheers
Steve

Vman
15-12-2006, 03:12 AM
Latest news, I had the 3rd gearbox installed!! I do believe that this is a NEW gearbox not so sure about the last one!!
I have driven 1000km on the new one and all seems ok. A bit hard to shift when cold from 1st to 2nd but when warmed up all is good. So I can only hope that this is the last issue I will have with the 6 speed!!
This is more then a bad batch of gearboxes!!! The dealer has a few TJ in the shop with the same issue and some are on the 3rd-4th gearbox. When I contacted Chrysler Australia about the issues and why it isn't addressed with a recall they said that at this time there is no recall and no further comments were given!!! Good luck to all other 6 speed owners that are having issues.

Rodgebone
15-12-2006, 07:51 AM
they cant issue a recall until they know what the problem is and whether its a production issue...i would think by now they would know WHAT the problem is but dont know why it exists or how to correct it...if its an engineering issue they will most certainly issue a recall (for safety reasons) as it would affect all gearboxes - this certainly does NOT fall into that category as not all gearboxes have this problem...if its a production/part QC issue a recall would be issued for "certain" vehicles with corresponding VINs (again for safety)...otherwise they will issue a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) and the dealership will refer to that for repair/replacement ONLY if a customer comes in with that specific concern - that way MB/Chrysler wont have to replace EVERY gearbox out there. A recall affecting only certain vehicles would be the hardest thing for them to determine as they must figure out whether its engineering, production or parts and supply (or a combination) and then determine which assembly lines/suppliers and vehicles are affected. Its a very time consuming process and probably why they havent got to the bottom of it yet. They will certainly have to do something eventually to cover there ass from lawsuits because it is a safety issue (what happens if you cant shift to get out of the way of a semi bearing down on you?). There would be lawyers lined up at their door already waiting to suck millions out of them.