PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone seen / bought some roo-lites?

Archer
08-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Apparently they're made by nitestalker and look EXACTLY like a lightforce 170.........except theyre 180mm. 750m range, beam spread and focus by twisting the lense thingy, submersable and waterproof. Vibration resistant. VERY ugly and the mount is the same as lightforce. Infact, if you took the lense protectors off, you'd have trouble telling them appart.
So, anyway, I saw 'em in a shop for $250.00 for a pair inc wiring harness, and was wondering if anyone has heard or had any experiences with them. I mean are they any good? Or just knock-off rubbish?

sir_camel
08-09-2006, 02:40 PM
I intend on buying some in a few weeks to try out. Heard good reports on Outerlimits

Hutch
08-09-2006, 09:20 PM
Apparently they're made by nitestalker and look EXACTLY like a lightforce 170.........except theyre 180mm. 750m range, beam spread and focus by twisting the lense thingy, submersable and waterproof. Vibration resistant. VERY ugly and the mount is the same as lightforce. Infact, if you took the lense protectors off, you'd have trouble telling them appart.
So, anyway, I saw 'em in a shop for $250.00 for a pair inc wiring harness, and was wondering if anyone has heard or had any experiences with them. I mean are they any good? Or just knock-off rubbish?
Archer, were in Brisbane did you see them as i have been looking for them after reading some good stuff.

BennyWA
08-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Watching this thread with anticipation!! :idea:

ShadoZJ
09-09-2006, 09:37 AM
http://www.4x4store.com.au/Nite-Stalker-Roo-Lite-pr-88670.html
The logo "roo lite" looks like the same writing as the "lightforce" one

Archer
09-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Hutch, I ended up getting a set. They sell 'em at 'vanquip' at mansfield. $350.00 there though. That includes a pair of protective covers and a wiring harness. Otherwise, this link www.4x4store.com.au/Nite-Stalker-Roo-Lite-pr-88670.htm will take you to the 4x4store that has them for $220.00 for what appears to be a pair.
It will be a few weeks till get mine on, but i will do some sort of a review when they're done and been used (or broken) for a while.
having looked at them, they do look rather light-force-ugly, if you iknow what i mean. Seem solid enough, but time will tell, i guess.

Archer
09-09-2006, 09:58 AM
i had a brief search on the net for them, and found that they were only patented earlier this year, so i would gather that lightforces original patent has run out and the knockoffs are beginning. Also, they are made by a Canadian company that i cant remember the name of, but their primary business is making heavy duty lights for machinery. thought you might be interested

Hutch
09-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Guys, OL at Newstead had them today for $295 whole kit.

DionM
09-09-2006, 05:24 PM
4x4store.com.au is run by a guy who is into the 4WD scene, so you could email him for your thoughts. I have been thinking about a set, but need to measure to see if they'll fit on the ARB bar on my XJ ...

Archer
09-09-2006, 06:14 PM
well, they don't fit in the loop on the chrome mopar bling bling bar................. by the way, if i were to mount some spotties there ( in that loop in front of the grille), how much does it raise the engine temp, if at all.

GMEMUD
09-09-2006, 09:35 PM
I mean are they any good? Or just knock-off rubbish?
Personally I think the lightforce 170's are nothing but cheap rubbish sold for the price of a good quality light. I have put a set on the KJ and am very disappointed in them. Not even close to the set of cibie's I had on the XJ.

Archer
09-09-2006, 09:41 PM
Really? I must say im surprised. The way people talk about Lightforce, you'd think all the others (lights) are like sticking a pair of birthday candles on your front bar for extra light (in comparison).
Are you talking about super oscars?

BLU-125
10-09-2006, 12:05 AM
I have had L/F 240s & 170s on my last couple of 4WDs, including the 170s on my TJ. As my need is for a well defined spread beam (to see animals), with enough throw for a maximum speed of about 120kph, I have tended to use "Combo" diffusers. This gives me a beam shape perfect for my needs.

GMEMUD
12-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Really? I must say im surprised. The way people talk about Lightforce, you'd think all the others (lights) are like sticking a pair of birthday candles on your front bar for extra light (in comparison).
Are you talking about super oscars?
Most of my driving is in central QLD country roads with lots of 'roos and I liked the spread beem of the cibie driving lights, not sure what they were called but were the rectangle ones each with its own relay, and they gave enough distance light as well. These light force 170's I now have on the KJ give a beem that is niether your ass nor elbow, adjust them to give the spread I want and they cover the road from just in front of the car to too far up the road with no intensity anywhere, even now I have them adjusted all the way out till they are about to fall off the thread and the beem is all over the place, blobs of light here and there.
Just my thoughts on them.

Gildo
12-09-2006, 09:47 AM
I love my Ceibie Super Oscars. Great lights, proven high performance optics that work.
Adjustable lights are always going to be a compromise, the optics of the ciebies rely on the lens working with the set design of the reflectors and the point source of the lamp.
For an adjustable light to work, all three components must move, not just the lens.

BLU-125
12-09-2006, 07:34 PM
I obviously have been using mine incorrectly. I find no reason to use the adjustment, I just buy the apropriate diffuser to suit the job I want the light to do. I have used all the different patterns at various times, on different vehicles, and find the Combo suits me best on the Jeep. The Combo diffuser has a fresnel pattern in the centre of the diffuser to give a well defined flat wide beam to make wildlife very visable, and the clear outer ring gives good depth to the centre of the beam. LightForce feels that modern thermoplastics allow the light from optically correct reflectors to be controlled by cleverly defined diffusers. When I started using Cibie Oscars (in the early '70s) they were state of the art. I believe that L/F now holds that mantle.

Gildo
13-09-2006, 09:26 AM
Ah Blu showing a bit of your theatrical lighting background?
My point was the lamp needs to move in relation to the lens and reflector.
As you said Fresnel, how do you normally focus a fresnel?
Sure if you want to change the colour or diffuse the light, just change the filter.
To alter the beam you need to move the lamp or the lens in relation to the reflector, or change the entire optics path lenses, barrel etc.
BTW who is claiming the mantle of "state of the art optics", the manufacturer or an independent assessor????
I dont believe the basic physics of lighting or optics has changed in the last 50 years.
Lamps, light sources, reflector and lens materials yes, that has developed, but a glass front surface mirror is still the top un disputed reflector material, quartz glass lenses still the clearest opticly speaking.

BLU-125
13-09-2006, 03:24 PM
No Gildo, no real theatrical lighting experience, just rock & disco lighting for twenty years (before I decided to join family tyre company 15 years ago). Yes, I am veeeeery old. ;-)

I found that aside from using the focus on L/F lights to properly adjust the relationship between the lamp & the reflector, any attempt to use the focus to change the "shape" of the beam only resulted in a reduction in performance dispite what L/F suggests in their brochures. Using the L/F diffusers changes the "shape" of the beam to something a bit more usefull than the open lens cover that L/F supplies as standard.

BLU-125
13-09-2006, 03:28 PM
BTW sorry ti hijack....