PDA

View Full Version : The Good, The Bad and the SuperCheap!

jeepy
27-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Morning Punters,

In the mailbox this morning was the September SuperCheap Autos catalogue. Just though I would share the 4WD section with you all.

Any experience or thoughts on SuperCheap's pricing and quality?? I am possibly interested in the 'Professional Heavy Duty Air Compressor' at the bottom of the page.

Moses
27-09-2006, 09:38 AM
can't see the pic but i have one of the soopa cheap air compressors it does 50ltr/min
and i have been very happy with it, it seems to handle my 31's with no problems

Dan96XJ
27-09-2006, 03:01 PM
my supacrap AC shat itself after 2 years

Gojeep
27-09-2006, 07:17 PM
That is a copy of the Bushranger one which is a re-branded Vair one. One of the mags did a side by side test to see if you are getting your moneys worth paying more for the original Bushranger one. Not only did they find it didn't fill as fast but they found physical differences when they pulled them apart. They did some durability tests and the Supercheap one failed as well as another that looked the same before even completing it. They couldn't kill the other. You get what you pay for here!

xflow
27-09-2006, 07:38 PM
That is a copy of the Bushranger one which is a re-branded Vair one. One of the mags did a side by side test to see if you are getting your moneys worth paying more for the original Bushranger one. Not only did they find it didn't fill as fast but they found physical differences when they pulled them apart. They did some durability tests and the Supercheap one failed as well as another that looked the same before even completing it. They couldn't kill the other. You get what you pay for here!

Hope I'm not the only one here but none of that made any sense to me bar the last 6 words, which I guess is all that counts.

Was sort of interested at how the comparison went but I sort of got lost

AussieRCBasher
27-09-2006, 08:18 PM
i run a sontax pump, not sure what its powers are but its damm good. fills my stock 29's from 16-36psi i about 40-60 seconds.

i only use supersh!t for oils, airfreshners, paint or for small goods. never for the other stuff cos its all crap.

altho i bought a Friction saw for 99 and its lasted a very long time so far.. 2 years warrenty i aint complaining.

yumpet
27-09-2006, 09:29 PM
i use a service stations, they seem really good although i have noticed i have trouble locating them on the bush tracks but everything has a downside hey :smile:

Dan96XJ
28-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Hope I'm not the only one here but none of that made any sense to me bar the last 6 words, which I guess is all that counts.

Was sort of interested at how the comparison went but I sort of got lost

i guess what was said, is that like all cheap imitations, they may look the same, but not perform the same, due to differences in quality parts and manufactering. I take this comment as like the cheap chinese REPCO or EBAY winches vs. the exact "look-alike" T-max or Brawn winches. They work well when they work -so to speak, but would likely fail when you need them most. Mine shat itself when I was airing up after an MJOC trip on my last tyre with only 3 psi to go. Im saving to get a twin cylinder double pumper next from a more reputable brand (cos im getting impatient). But after saying that, $80 for 2 yrs use wasn't so bad. After using a Bushranger of similar capicity as the supacrap (borrowed from Tasar), I can honestly say that the BR worked more efficiently and durable since he had it longer. (Even quicker than the ARB on board!).

Gordo
28-09-2006, 10:23 AM
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/www/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalogues.viewPage&PageID=1252&catID=158&categoryId=9

A mate bought the supercheap aircompo and is happy with it. Stil going after a few months regular use.

I went for a opposite Lock Blue tongue III about 5 years ago (or longer Mattc - I forget when u got em ?) ..hasn't missed a beat..

Now up to ver 4 - HIGHLY recommended

http://www.oppositelock.com.au/redesign/department/productDetails.aspx?deptID=13&catID=30&itemID=RGAC

mattc
28-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Gordo, I got my TJ in mid 2000 and am pretty sure we bought the Blue Tongues not too much later. Over 5 years easy I would say.... keeps on keeping on. If Gordo's is still alive after all this time then that says Quality rather than Kwality!

I also have a BigW Bushranger copy - seems to pump up footballs well. Only pumped up 4wd tyres once or twice and it does the job slowly. Also have a real Bushranger one, I won at ClubKhana this year. I should do some back to back timing tests of all 3.....

drover
01-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Been FWDing for 30yrs and have only carried a tiny compressor around and have hardly used it, aTirfor winch for the same time used about 4 times, used to go along the real tracks that are closed now like Araluen, Bendethra etc. Best compressor I saw was an old A/C pump fitted with an air valve, best pump around.

BLU-125
02-10-2006, 10:55 AM
When I bought my Big Red in 1997(?), it seemed to be a lot of money. ($350ish)

Last weekend when I inflated my air mattress, aired up my tyres & operated my air locker, it seemed really cheap.

Go with the best quality you can afford. Big Red & Blue Tongue are made by Thomas in the US.

Gordo
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Been FWDing for 30yrs and have only carried a tiny compressor around and have hardly used it, aTirfor winch for the same time used about 4 times, used to go along the real tracks that are closed now like Araluen, Bendethra etc. Best compressor I saw was an old A/C pump fitted with an air valve, best pump around.

That'd most likely be York as used by plenty (eg Wooders' airbag suspension air supply). mine's been sitting on the projects bench for about 12 months now.

You can run air tools straight off them and pick one up from a wreckers with the right pulley for about $100. The rest is getting a bracket made, additional pulley on crank (if you want to run two belts like I do) and a belt to suit and a bit of air plumbing.

Plenty of writeups on the web if you want to go that way. Just need the real estate under the bonnet to do it...

When I eventually get the Yorky going with the airtank the btIII will be the electric backup.

...and what are u saying shiny boy....that I'm hard on things or something ?!?! ;)

drover
03-10-2006, 08:49 PM
In the old trucks there was always room under the lid to fit stuff, not an easy task nowadays thats for sure..................

jake
04-10-2006, 09:10 AM
I have had a Thomas Bullet aircompressor since 1998 never had a problem and has been used a lot.

It fits snuggly under the back seat of my xj with the outlet hose going to the rear bumper.

As Blu says "Go with the best quality you can afford"

RED097
04-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I'v had my Big Red since 97 and I use it every month on my tyres and partners tyres as well. Takes about ten minutes to do the both.
You get what you pay for.