PDA

View Full Version : Panhard rod on a stock 96 cherokee

hillsjeep
29-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Firstly let me start my first thread by thanking all the jeep experts out there, I have been viewing this site for months now and so far you have saved me thousands on repairs.

Now for my first question, I have seen several threads referring to a whiteline panhard rod or trackbar part number KPR027 (I think). Does anyone know if this can be fitted to my 96 cherokee, which (at this stage) doesn't have a lift? I contacted whiteline and they would only guarentee it would fit on a wrangler or one of the grand cherokees.

gonzo
29-09-2006, 12:20 PM
What makes you need one?

I have a whiteline adjustable panhard on my ZJ, but only cause it has a 3.5inch lift on it.

hillsjeep
29-09-2006, 02:35 PM
I have too much movement in the joint that attaches to the chassis, which is causing a nasty knock each time I change direction. Jeep can only sell me the entire unit to resolve the problem for over $700, so I was hoping the whiteline unit might do the job for half the price. Perhaps I'll just have to convince the "fun police" that I need to give it a lift.

Steve F
29-09-2006, 02:41 PM
The Whiteline one will fit an XJ but you need 2" of lift as a starter as it may not go short enough for lower than that. My XJ has 4" of lift and the whieline is perfect.

Cheers
Steve

hillsjeep
29-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks Steve, I thought that may be the case as the one pictured in another thread looks significantly longer that the standard one. At least I can use this in my business case to confince my wife we need at least a 2 inch lift, after all she can always use a step ladder...

Phil

Bowser
29-09-2006, 09:37 PM
I get the same problem as well, ive tightened mine twice now, the last time i put a washer in there to see if it would help. When i got back from my snow trip it was so loose that it wasnt even hand tight, which caused some nice wishy washy steering along the freeway!

Im thinking about a lift for mine but have delved into it yet, once i start illl never stop

hillsjeep
30-09-2006, 09:37 AM
yeah, I've heard of that happening to a few people, so I took the split pin out but wasn't able to tighten it at all, so I suspect replacement is my only option. I have just been speaking to Wooders Garage and have ordered one from them (thanks Mei Mei) for $245 including delivery. Hopefully that will fix it for a price I'm happy to pay.

AussieRCBasher
30-09-2006, 11:18 AM
im running 3.5" lift and on the stock panhard rod and its pulled my whole front diff to the drivers side about 15mm. im planning on buying the whiteline one but havnt got the cash atm after my repair bills for other things. it drives fine with it sitting to one side but i will need a new bar soon. so if i get it soon ill send u my stocker which is fine doesnt seem to have any play at all.

hillsjeep
30-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks mate, that's a very generous offer, but I'll see how the one from Wooders goes now its on the way. From other threads I've read I suspect you may have a queue of jeep owners lining up for it. Given the price Jeep ask for them you could probably sell it and completely fund your new whiteline.