PDA

View Full Version : Idler pulley bearings

robert davidson
07-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Hi all. Just replaced the ribbed lower plastic idler pulley today. It has been dying slowly for the last 26.000 K's or 1 year. Last 2 weeks been making a screeching sound for 5 mins. on cold start up. Replaced pulley and with an identical plastic copy today. Bearing R/S, would not have lasted much more, dry and barely able to rotate at all! My question is, can these bearings be replaced? It looks like a steel retainer ring either side of the bearing that has been molded in to the plastic. Bin it or repair it?

krankieone
07-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Bin it

or better still keep it for a sample to take with you when you get a metal one next time (just dont tell them it's for a jeep)

robert davidson
08-10-2006, 12:48 AM
total k's is 138,000. Not too bad for plastic. Pulley is unmarked, just wondering if there was some way to replace bearing, so I could have a spare? The orig. bearing is very cheap and could be upgraded. Cheers.

tonyl
08-10-2006, 05:38 AM
not in the plastic ones the steel pu;;eys can have them pressed out get one for a vn commodore 30 bucks its steel with bearings fitted

Gojeep
08-10-2006, 06:32 PM
not in the plastic ones the steel pu;;eys can have them pressed out get one for a vn commodore 30 bucks its steel with bearings fitted
Dont think they have VN Commodores in Bangkok some how!

Wazzajeep
09-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Both my idler pulleys squeeled and carried on when cold as well. I just removed the seals with a hobby knife and cleaned out the bearings and repacked them with grease. I didnt remove the bearings from the idlers. I did this about 4 months ago now and they have been fine since.