View Full Version : different Wrangler models

Rodgebone
10-10-2006, 10:52 AM
looking at buying a new wrangler but im wondering exactly what the difference is between models...there is the Sport (base model i know), Renegade, Renegade Extreme, Golden Eagle and 65th Anniversary Edition (the one we are looking at)...thought i also saw Unlimited mentioned somewhere (besides the new model)...can someone explain the differences between these models?

also wondering what peoples thoughts are regarding automatic 4spd vs the 6 speed manual...ive read about problems with the six speed but would like the better fuel economy however my wife wants the auto

thanks in advance

krankieone
10-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Tj unlimited is not available in Oz unfortunately it has a longer wheel base and a bit extra interior room

the new unlimited is the 4 door version of the 07 model

Asmodai
10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm in the same boat as you are Rodge; I'm about to buy my first Wrangler, but I'm utterly confused by the models available.

I've seen no references made to a "65th anniversary edition" Wrangler for sale in Australia (though I know it was in the US).

The Jeep Australia website seems hopelessly out of date... there they reference only the Sport and Renegade models.

The Wagon Wheels website (Sydney-based dealer) mentions a Renegade LE, and the Golden Eagle LE, at the same price - does anyone know the specific differences between these? The website claims "as per the Renegade but with a sub", basically, though both claim to have 7 speakers already, and being the same price, I don't see why anyone would go for the Renegade. On the other hand, they did say "as per the Renegade", but not Renegade LE.

The Wagon Wheels drive.com.au store references the Renegade Extreme and the Golden Eagle.

The Jeep website references a free GPS offer (which I believe was part of the 65th Anniv promotion), but makes no mention of that specific offer (which in the US also included other features).

Overall, this is ridiculously convoluted. o_O

Does anybody know what the true current models are, and what the differences are between them?

(As an aside, this is a great forum, and I've learned a lot lurking here while at work. ;) )

Archer
10-10-2006, 11:41 AM
i think it goes like this - tj sport (base model), renegade (up spec sport - alloys, and sometimes sold with dual top, leather steering wheel , cruise control and maybe one or two other cosmetic improvements. Golden eagle (renegade in black only plus subwoofer and eagles on it, and a charcoal interior and some $2000.00 dearer).
Extream was, i think, a limited edition promotional thing.
unlimited didnt come out in aust in a tj. only the 07 model.
'65 aniversary is a softop renegade with '65 written on it, and a few different colours.
have a look at www.chrysperjeepdodge.com.au
theyve got a new sport going for $24000.00
and some '65s going for $29,990
essentially, tj come in sport, renegade, and golden eagle, with '65s being a promotional renegade.
the subwoofer is generally another speaker (possibly the 8th) that is mounted in the centrer armrest bin thing between the two seats

hope this helps

ARB87U
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
The Extreme was limited and i don't think they do it any more. At the time i got my new one (Oct 2004) there were 2 'Extreme Sport' Wranglers in the country both at Wagon Wheels. The Extreme Sport i got was with matching alloy wheels and flares (silver/grey colour), subwoofer in the console, silver centre peice of the dash, two tone (silver and grey) seats with the Jeep logo embosed on them and the same on the rear seat mithout the Jeep logo, both soft and hardtops and full doors it was 34,500 drive away.

Rodgebone
10-10-2006, 12:14 PM
ill confirm the 65th anniversary edition we drove yesterday had dual tops, alloy wheels, sub in the armrest, gps on the silver dash console, leather wheel, cruise control, very nice spare wheel cover, embossed seats and floormats, and a new color for the '06 anniversary edition (this one was metallic olive but they come in black, silver and blue according to another dealer) and has matching flares and a stepside with the anniversary logo on the side...was 31990 drive away with the six speed...the promotion ends July 31st and then they go back up to $36k for the base sport

Jeeps
10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
At the moment there are basically only 2 models available,

TJ SPORT with soft top, and standard interior, steel rims. $30k

TJ RENEGADE with dual tops & high spec interior, alloy rims. $35k

Some dealers are currently advertising all models (incl sport) with GPS & alloys etc.

Any other models such as Golden Eagle or 65th Anniversary are usually RENEGADEs with a bit extra fruit such as stickers, tyres or gadgets. These are often fitted at the dealer, but sometimes from DC, to make them more appealing than a standard softtop.

When i purchased my new TJ 4 years ago i went to 4 different dealers looking for a hardtop model but it was not available at the time.

Archer
10-10-2006, 02:19 PM
yeah that soulds like a good price. 'specially for a dual top. Me? i'd grab one at that price. Lol and if you didnt wat the hard top, you could sell it for a few thou and get new wheels and tyres and a lift.
After seeing all the speculation on the high prices on the '07 model, i'd grab a tj now. (i've seen price speculation on this forum range from $30k all the way up to $50k)

Daz7
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
FWIW the $29990 price is for a soft top 65th Anniversary edition, the duel top versions are $31990 drive away. I got our duel top with no trade in for $30990 drive away so there is some further haggling space there.

Only the 65th Anniversary editions are 06 builds. Anything else available will have an 05 build date (its on a sticker inside the passengers door jam).

This won't make a difference to you really (apart from the subwoofer and different trim) till you go to trade it in and then they'll value it on the build date, so if looking at a 05 build version look for a further couple of $k discount.

Happy shopping....

Rodgebone
10-10-2006, 02:51 PM
I got our duel top with no trade in for $30990 drive away

Daz, is yours auto or manual?

Daz7
10-10-2006, 02:59 PM
Manual - isn't the auto a couple of k more?

Rodgebone
10-10-2006, 03:06 PM
yes...2k more but we are going for a manual...curious how you got them to haggle on a drive away price...

Asmodai
10-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the info - it's very much appreciated.

The next step for me, I guess, is to see whether Wagon Wheels or somewhere local can get me a 65th Anniv model. ;)

This is gonna hurt the wallet.

Daz7
10-10-2006, 03:21 PM
You call every Jeep dealership in your state (and some not in your state) and tell them your ready to buy and what will they do to aquire your business.

After all, if every dealership is quoting a drive away price what makes one dealership more desirable to deal with than another, because the salesguy is a nice bloke - don't think so.

Make enough calls and one will bite. I was eventually asked what they needed to do to make me buy now and I told them I'd be happy to give them a credit card deposit over the phone but they had to come in at the $31k mark and they did.

Asmodai
10-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Absolutely. I've got a few dealers baited at the moment, but need to work on more. With the discount that seems already applied to this model, though, I don't imagine they will budge very far. Can't hurt to push though.

ARB87U
10-10-2006, 03:56 PM
sell you mine for the best price you can negotiate on a new one :evil: :evil:

Blackpearl
11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
We got our 65th down a bit, we got the auto coz beks has only auto license.
but its great off road (no stalling)
has dual top and stuff.
also now sports a new dent in front bumper. . . . .
This shot is from under the front dent pls note the contour of the bar. . .
jeeps are tough dude get one!!!!

Asmodai
12-10-2006, 08:32 AM
sell you mine for the best price you can negotiate on a new one :evil: :evil:

Haha - does it come in Jeep Green? :p

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'm still looking into it but I think the 65th is gonna be out of my price range, unfortunately. :( Quite painful as it's such an amazing deal.

I'll probably end up looking for an ex-demo Renegade in a few months, before the JKs come out... though I don't know if I can wait that long! It's taking a lot of self control not to go out and buy one right now. ;)

Rodgebone
12-10-2006, 08:37 AM
I hear you Asmodai...we found we are just a little too poor just yet to get a new one - maybe next year when the new model comes out (is this a blessing in disguise?)...hard to miss out on such a great promotion on a beautiful rig...i even had hideous thoughts of trading in my beloved XJ but quickly talked myself outta that idea :hammer:

Wallace
12-10-2006, 09:33 AM
just promise me one thing rodge, when you get your TJ (or JK) please dont "bling it up" like your XJ :) :hammer:

Rodgebone
12-10-2006, 09:50 AM
LOL Will....ill be under strict supervision by Robyn as it will be her Jeep...of course that could be a bad thing bling-wise

Asmodai
12-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Speaking of bling, some of the second hand models I'm looking at (I don't want to go 2nd hand, but I may have to, as I'm not willing to get anything other than a Wrangler or a D90 ;) ) have so much chrome on them it hurts my eyes.

Admittedly, the chrome grills and nudge bars do look kinda cool, but I'd much rather go without... not to mention, some of those bullbars look like they'd significantly decrease the potential angle of attack :\

ARB87U
12-10-2006, 10:10 AM
no shit and glitter here :lol:

http://aussiejeepimages.com/gallery2/d/75386-1/100_1261.jpg

TIGGER
12-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Shameless plug http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62335&page=1&pp=10

Asmodai
12-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah, that's the way ARB.

Any chrome that ends up on mine I fully intend to have constantly covered in mud. ;)

Tigger; I had seen yours, and it looks damn good - my primary concern with getting a modded up wrangler is that I've not driven one before, and I'd like to start stock to get a feel for it. That said, it's around the same price range as much lesser vehicles I'm looking at... I'll give it a good think over, as it's tempting (and I'm in Sydney also).

ARB87U
12-10-2006, 10:42 AM
everyone thinks that way at first. But this is just my two cents.

If your intention is to get into the offroad scene as apposed the mall crawling than buying a pre-loved modified vechile will save you a fortune. Once you get a dual locked wrangler on 33+ tyres and take it offroad you will know what i mean. I know i have spent 50k+ on buying new and building from there. Save yourself money now and buy one that has been built up and save yourself 25k and a crap load of time and effort.

And to assist Tiggers plug that is a shit hot looking wrangler in real life, i was considering buying it over a year ago insted of building mine :D

TIGGER
12-10-2006, 11:01 AM
I'd like to start stock to get a feel for it.

That seems fair enough, but if you plan on taking it offroad, a stock jeep gets old real quick... if i were to do it again i would not buy new... it costs too much!

Wooders
12-10-2006, 12:46 PM
That seems fair enough, but if you plan on taking it offroad, a stock jeep gets old real quick... if i were to do it again i would not buy new... it costs too much!

Then after a few years of heavily modded it becomes fun trying harder in a stocker again ;)

Asmodai
12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I have no doubt it works out significantly cheaper to buy something pre-modded. I've been looking into the cost of a 3.5" lift and SYE, etc, and it seems quite prohibitive; that said, it isn't something I'd be fitting immediately (though as you say, once I go offroad stock, I'll no doubt want more capability). It'd be a long-term thing (but again, "that's what they all say", no doubt).

Another reason I'd like to buy pre-mod is because of the opportunity it would afford me to learn more about the vehicle. I'm no mechanical expert, though I know a bit (enough to perform basic services myself... so not that much :p ), and going through the modding of one would be an pretty good way to pick some stuff up.

My concerns about buying a pre-modded rig are as follows:

1. They've most likely been given a good bashing. On the other hand, they were probably taken care of very well. The longevity of a vehicle is important, and I have serious concerns about *any* second-hand vehicle, given the lack of manufacturer's warrantee's.

2. Some of them are modded to a daunting point - like Tigger's for example. I don't mean this negatively - the daunting aspect is that I don't know what on earth some of those mods even do. ;)

3. The street legality - I've heard that there are going to be new regulations on body/suspension lifts, and I'm not entirely sure what will happen with rigs that are already modded. To get a car only to have it made illegal with new legislation is a worry. Though if I recall correctly, an engineering certificate supposedly nullified those restrictions did it not? I'm not too sure.

So much to think about. I'm currently considering 5 or 6 different vehicles, and yours is one of them Tigger. Just gotta mull over it for a bit :p

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention the fuel consumption thing. If only fuel wasn't so expensive nowadays it wouldn't be such a concern how much a built up 4wd uses (apart from the environmental issues, of course).

Nigel
14-10-2006, 10:00 AM
If you are considering going on the heavily modded route eventualy you are are much better off going for Tigger's car as it is now and hence always will be legal, you could not build a car that big any more with the new changes....

Asmodai
15-10-2006, 03:22 PM
If you are considering going on the heavily modded route eventualy you are are much better off going for Tigger's car as it is now and hence always will be legal, you could not build a car that big any more with the new changes....

Yeah, that's one of my concerns, as I mentioned above. Damn legislation.

Once I figure out the cash thing, I'll be taking a look at Tigger's for sure, if it's still available. ;)

golden eagle
22-10-2006, 09:27 AM
these look great i think had mine almost 12 months just took the hard top off last week

katiejane
22-10-2006, 02:32 PM
TJ: 1997 - Present
The TJ model was introduced in 1997 under the marketing name "Wrangler", and is still in production as both the TJ and the TJ unlimited. The Jeep TJ is identifiable from other models by the round headlights, the wide stance, and the flat blinker lights set wide on the front fenders. There are, of course, many other differences both interior and within the mechanics of the Jeep, but that's the quickest way to eyeball this model. More mechanically inclined enthusiasts also notice very quickly the coil spring suspension, but previous models can be modified to have this suspension. TJ supposedly stands for "Today's Jeep."
YJ: 1986 - 1995
Jeeps were not produced with a model year of 1996. Perhaps when they started overhauling the YJ design to create the TJ, they got confused and couldn't put it back together again?
"Your Jeep", which is what I am told YJ stands for, had square headlights, square turn signal lights mounted on the front bezel under the headlights, and other than that, cosmetically it looks like a TJ. However, its leaf-spring suspension and other insides are very different from the TJ. The 1997 model year forward are a serious overhaul of previous Jeep models. The YJ is more of an older Jeep placed inside the TJ's wrappings with square headlights.
CJ: 1945 - 1985
What we know today as a Wrangler was known before as a Jeep CJ, and the previous models were CJ2, CJ5, CJ6, and CJ7. With each successive model number, the length of the wheelbase, the suspension, transmission, axles, and creature comforts of the vehicles themselves were improved. Know a CJ by the round headlights with round turn signal lights under the headlights beside the engine grill. When I see a Jeep CJ go by, the thing that strikes me first about them is usually how narrow and tall they seem compared to YJ's and TJ's. Even when boosted up on big wheels, TJ's and YJ's have a nice, low center of gravity. The CJ models look more narrow. Also, the paint jobs are generally beat and the body has little dings and dents in it everywhere.

I have an '06 TJ and just bought a '87 YJ