PDA

View Full Version : more jeep mods

JEEP1
11-10-2006, 11:26 PM
ok guys ive got money being put aside every week im wanting your thoughts on what the next best thing to do to my 2004 tj,

i have a 4.5" re kit i run 35" simex centipedes with 4.56 ratios, f&r air lokkas and exstractors exhaust.

my long term goal is for the tj to be strictly offroad competition vehicle, iam wanting to go up to a 38"+ tyre what would make it unstopable and as unbreakable as possible.
costs $$$ would be great and feedback thanks guys.

MR EXTREME JEEP
11-10-2006, 11:50 PM
How well protected are you? Body armour , roll cage, Wheel hub upgrade, cut your fenders and gaurds to keep your centre of gravity low. This is sounding like my wish list.:lol:

JEEP1
12-10-2006, 01:03 AM
only protection is diff guards sump guard.
the best thing to do would be get rid of the d30 in the front and to put a 44 in there?? or would the warn hub upgrade be the better way to go instead, just for the 30???

MR EXTREME JEEP
12-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Its funny you ask that question. I am looking at a bout 4 threads at the moment on diff upgrade. I missed out on a front d44 loaded with gears and lokka for just over 3 k so That coupled with what I read on the threads tells me 5+k to upgrade the d30 or go D60 stock strong. I would look at preventative measures at this stage. Ask what is most likely to break first next. Go from there..

Fat Chili
12-10-2006, 01:15 AM
Talk to MattW or DIY over your way (WA) and go the 'high hood' chop and bigger diffs.

Wooders
12-10-2006, 06:24 AM
What sort of comps? And what class.
Some comps you want less weight some you want more protection. Some have specific requirements regarding safety (eg cages etc).

IMHO don't waste money polishing the turd - go D60 - both ends. IMHO a D44 might e just ok with 38's - but I think it's sorta like the D30 with 35's - right on the edge.

For 38"s & comp you will almost certainly want to stretch the wheelbase. Min 100"
You'll want an engine/transmission skid,
Fuel tank skids would depend as you could either relocate the fuel tank into the rear or get a GenRight which will include a skid.
Fuel capacity is another question - you want the range to suit your events and nothing more. for endurance events that means more capacity, for short course that means less.

Front protectsion should be light, but give good protection and maximum approach angle, side rails take a beating, and rear bumpers departure angle and excess weight are things to consider.
Another area of damage is the tub corners - you se a lot of TJ's with damage there and weve taken a few hits orselves - sor corenr protection is important....but not vita if the weight is more important.

nyhow that's a 30sec brain dump might add more later but gotta bolt....

JEEP1
13-10-2006, 12:33 AM
well i like the look of matts tj with the hood chop but im not prepared to spend that sort of money, im more then happy with the lift kit im looking more into upgrading diffs there isnt alot on at the moment in W.A for the comp scene but ive watched tuff truck over and over getting into those comps may be a long shot but would definetly be something id love to do.

so wooders u rekon d60 dont waste time upgrading d30?

sounds like big bucks$$$ any1 have any ideas what that would be worth?

thanks guys

Wooders
13-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Dana 30 + 38"s + Comps = BOOM...... IMHO.
Basically you will always be waiing for it to break. Do D60's and then you can just forget it. Yes it's more expensive in the short run, but probably not as much in the long run and remember you can sell you old diffs to redeem some $$.
As a rough estimate I'd say ballpark $20k less say $4k you might be able to get for your diffs.

I am not familiar at all with WA style of comp and if you have a drivers group like CCDA, but that is a great source of info for things you NEED to do (esp safety).

cj5350
13-10-2006, 07:14 AM
Dana 30 + 38"s + Comps = BOOM...... IMHO.
Basically you will always be waiing for it to break. Do D60's and then you can just forget it. Yes it's more expensive in the short run, but probably not as much in the long run and remember you can sell you old diffs to redeem some $$.
As a rough estimate I'd say ballpark $20k less say $4k you might be able to get for your diffs.

I am not familiar at all with WA style of comp and if you have a drivers group like CCDA, but that is a great source of info for things you NEED to do (esp safety).

Warning;;;;thread hijack:%

Bear Just picked up a pair of 60's (front and rear) for $4000

Wooders
13-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Yeah oh I should say $20k for new, much less proportional to how much work you are prepared for in finding 'em used.....
So when's Bear goona drop 'em off in my driveway? ;)

Jimmyb
13-10-2006, 08:09 AM
I have to agree with Wooders, after spending 12k on the old Diffs in the Red XJ I had, I would never do it again, but at the time it was the time to do, now days there are far superior options.

cj5350
13-10-2006, 08:58 AM
I have to agree with Wooders, after spending 12k on the old Diffs in the Red XJ I had, I would never do it again, but at the time it was the time to do, now days there are far superior options.

True, take a dana 30, add ratios, locker, diff guard, tie rods, warn hubs and shafts and you still end up with weak tubes and tiny brakes8-)

MattW
13-10-2006, 05:44 PM
The diffs by far are going to be the biggest challenge for you in running a tyre that large. If you dont want to cut or lift guards you are going to have to lift it a lot more as well unless you want to seriously restrict your wheel travel.

MR EXTREME JEEP
13-10-2006, 06:43 PM
True, take a dana 30, add ratios, locker, diff guard, tie rods, warn hubs and shafts and you still end up with weak tubes and tiny brakes8-)
I wouldnt mind one of those.......:cool: